Spec me a portable amp for Ulitimate Ears Triple Fi 10's
Sep 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Volxstu

New Head-Fier
Hi noob here and just took delivery of my first set of decent earphones. I use my ipod 2 gen quite a bit along with a Power Mac G5 and Powerbook laptop.
Im more concerned with my Ipod more than anything but would love to here about connections to the other above comps.
I will be mainly looking at second hand and would like to be able to connect to the mains (UK) whilst in situ.

As i said i am a total noob so will have a scour around the forums here to knowledge myself up a bit but what can you suggest for me. Any information, musings and education would be great.

Thanks

Stu

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Quite a fair bit of discussion in the TF10 Appreciation thread. We'll need to know your budget and what you're looking for (Type of music? Size of amp? Battery life an issue? etc...). Personally I found the iQube to sound the best with the TF10. But its hefty and the battery access door threw me off...

I haven't heard the TF10 thru an iPod Gen 2 before but the improvements are likely to be quite minimal unless you throw in some decent cables for the TF10 and a decent LOD... And it all depends on whether you've got golden ears
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi really sorry for the late reply. Life has thrown me a bad deal and my Mac Powerbook G4 has had its final charge. Interenet access is limeted Right now. Just in case anybody is interested after much deliberation i think i am going to bite the bullet and go for the Fully specced i7 Mac book pro. 
biggrin.gif

Ok so now i can dedicate my time into looking for this IEM amp. 

I also meant Ipod touch Second gen. Although i do have a click wheel that i can use if there would be any benefits. Im not sure how things have gone in the MP3 player world making everything so small. Is the audio output quality better now than 6 years ago?

Price is negotiable. I would ideally like to stay under £150 and the iBasso D10 or T3 seem to be big contenders.

I really need to do more research into what the DAC does in this situation but i would say that my ears are likely to want this feature.

Type of music:- Mainly Hardcore (as in dance) with a little bit of D&B and Psy Trance thrown in every now and then. 
Just using the TF10 and the ipod as standard i am feeling less than happy with the bass line. But bassline isnt everything, lets face it music over 180bpm isnt going to have bass that makes your eyes shake using IEM's.

Size not an issue as long as it will fit in a pocket preferably with the Ipod touch as well.

Battery life. Im not so worried about. I work in an office so can charge as often as needed. I would like to be able to use it without charge for a good few hours over the weekends though.

Thanks 

Stu

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 13
The iBassos should be good choices, especially if you want a rechargeable battery. If you are okay using 9 volts, the Meier Headsix is a good match with the Triple-fi's - I used the combination extensively. It is fairly small and will leave some change in your pocket from the £150.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
@ justanut: which other amps did you try with the TF10?

RSA Mustang, Shadow, iBasso D10, iQube 1, Govibe Martini and a few others... I'd strongly recommend in this order : iQube, Mustang, Shadow if you're going for sound quality. Balance of Portability and SQ then it would be Mustang, Shadow, iQube~ 

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 13
That's extremely interesting that you havnt included iBasso in you short list at all.

I listen to Hardcore Dance Music so SQ is not paramount. We in the UK have a saying "you can't polish a turd".
It's really dificult to to communicate needs over the internet without being taken too literally. With my above comment I don't mean that I want a bad SQ. Right now when I use my Computer for my earphones I can have the bass quite high up without distortion. I like the additional bass over my iPods capabilities, this produces a much warmer and less bright sound. My computer also seems much more effortless. The iPod just on it's own really strugles with bass reproduction of the music I listen too which is over 180bpm.
I want to take a big jump for both my iPod and computer in the a similar way to above.

I hope that made any sense at all.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Im strating to rather like this forum. As soon as i make a decision somebody go's and throws another spanner in the works. So you truly think the C+C box could be a good contender for my needs compared to units nearly 4 times the price? 

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 13
hey, sorry dude, saw your post quite late so I replied it and without knowing you had made a shortlist of them =)

Well, from my personal point of view I do think that the C&C sound nice pairing with the TF10. I usually listen to lots of Chinese Pop music and some classical music, believe me, it do bring out the warm bass that I am looking for, rather than those loud and powerful one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back