Speakers: I've decided to throw my wallet into the lion cage
Aug 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

anetode

Headphoneus Supremus
There's a problem with my speakers. Or not a problem, really, but a shortcoming: I've been spoiled by the detail in high end phones (HD800/D7000) and the Dynaudio 122 towers don't measure up. They're far too modest both in musicality and the low end. So it's time

Present contenders include the Focal Electra 1027/1037 Be, the PSB Platinum T6/T8s, and the wild card, the MBL 111 technopyramids of doom. The Focals and PSBs claim great detail and linearity, hopefully close to what I want. The MBLs I'm somewhat scared to take a chance on, seeing as they are described as finicky with installation.

Which set of speakers would provide the most detail and maintain a good balance of highs/mids/lows? Are there any other contenders I should consider? My budget tops out at around six grand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 47
If detail is what you're after, you need to enter the world of planars. Forget "monkey coffin" boxes and go for the unconventional.

Granted, I haven't finished the Orion+ yet, so I don't know how those stack up, but I can tell you that ribbons, electrostats, planars, and AMTs give you the detail you crave. I've owned all but planars, though I have heard them and can vouch for their detail.

If I were you, I'd turn my attention to Quads, Magnepans, Apogees and other similar speakers. Though they're not finished, you should also consider the Linkwitz Orion+. What I read was enough to get me to buy in. You can pull them off for $6k, too. You might also want to look at the Kithara with its AMTs - if it'sanything like the ESS AMT, you will be floored. By the way, if you can turn up a used ESS, buy it. They sell for $300-$500, but you can mod the crossover and install modern woofers to create a giant slayer. They're that good.

$6k will also get you any used Quad or Magnepan - some models are very impressive.

Don't let people tell you that planars don't "have bass." They do. The Quads have that reputation, but they have the cleanest bass I've ever heard, going down to 40Hz. They don't have woofer distortion or box resonances - just the most gorgeous, tuneful bass I've ever heard. They're like a direct connection to the recording. The big Magnepans have serious bass panels, too.

Further, these types of speakers throw out a dipolar soundstage that's only second to the real thing. It's not "you are there." It's "they are here." You'll understand when you hear them.

Anyhow, you've got a lot of reading and homework to do if these interest you. They're a world apart from conventional speakers. A world you won't want to leave once you've heard them. I can say without hesitation that if you love the HD-800, a pair of Quads will make you very happy.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 47
I've never heard planars, but they really do interest me. If you have pets that like to scratch, or other reasons for not wanting more fragile speakers (dipoles, electrostats, etc.), then I'd like to throw Salk Sound into the ring.

Check them out for yourself. Their low end model, the SongTower QWT's come highly recommended in the speaker community. Most reviewers place it as the best possible speaker in it's price bracket. Of course - lucky you - you're looking for something even better. I believe that the higher end models can cater to your needs.

Salk Sound :: Custom Crafted High Performance Audio Speakers for Music or Home Theater - Internet Direct

Hope that helps.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 47
I have been frequently auditioning speakers for the last 20 years, many have impressed me, and some of them I bought for the quest to great sound. All I can say, is that None will give you the perfect answer to your question: "Which set of speakers would provide the most detail and maintain a good balance of highs/mids/lows?"

However they can get you pretty dam close to perfection, out of the speakers I have auditioned recently within your budget, I have been incredibly impressed by the following in order of preference:

1. Reference 3A Grand Veena (They are a bit above your budget new, you can get them used if you have patience) these are for me the best speakers I know in that price range and well above it. They have also won all kinds of awards and are frequently compared to 15k+ speakers. They are also very sensitive, so you could use a SET amp or low power tube, but also respond great to power. Overall, nothing I have heard bellow the price of my kharma's has impressed me so much, and I have heard a lot.... Natural, transparent, balanced, powerful, intimate, lush, liquid, passionate, huge soundstage, depth, dynamics.... they give you all....

2. Quad ESL-2805 (or better the 2905's used). The 2905's were the final contenders for my current setting, and were competing against the Reference 3A grand veena and my kharma 3.2fe which retail at around $25k, that reference can hint you in how good these two contenders were. These speakers are a beauty, they dont go so low, are a pain to place and need good amplification, but all these suffering is worth the amazing transparency and mid lushness. Many have referred to these as the best loudspeakers made regardless the price, a bit exaggerated but gives you an idea of how well regarded they are. These ones are breathtaking with jazz, classical, vocal but also rock, however, if you are used to high volume levels, they might not be for you. The 2805's have the same sound signature as the 2905's and only sacrifice volume and low-end extension, they are also easier to place. As a note, these models are far superior to the classic esl63's that are often praised here.

3. Verity Audio Finn (or Rienzi used). These ones are also incredible, and have been the ones with the highest WAF of all the ones I've had home. They disappear effortlessly, are highly efficient, and as with the Reference 3a, you could use low power amps to drive them. This is a very natural and balanced speaker with amazing transparent soundstage and lush mids. These two models from verity set a very high standard of built quality and sound, plus their signature voice is to die for...

Ive heard the MBL, and when amplified well it made a good impression, but not enough to tumble the ones above, as for the focal be, i would skip them, you can do much better for the price. Seriously consider these 3 choices, they might be harder to audition since they come from small companies, but in this case, smaller companies produce better quality and are more passionate about their products, its really worth to check them out, 6k is a lot of dough... good luck,

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how expensive loudspeakers you buy, they can't compete with headphones unless the room got great acoustics.

You dont know what youre talking about! You cant be serious about this un-educated statement, if you havent experienced good speakers in average rooms with good placement, dont jump into this discussions and stay in your imaginary world!

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 47
Aug 22, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If detail is what you're after, you need to enter the world of planars. Forget "monkey coffin" boxes and go for the unconventional.

Granted, I haven't finished the Orion+ yet, so I don't know how those stack up, but I can tell you that ribbons, electrostats, planars, and AMTs give you the detail you crave. I've owned all but planars, though I have heard them and can vouch for their detail.

If I were you, I'd turn my attention to Quads, Magnepans, Apogees and other similar speakers. Though they're not finished, you should also consider the Linkwitz Orion+. What I read was enough to get me to buy in. You can pull them off for $6k, too. You might also want to look at the Kithara with its AMTs - if it'sanything like the ESS AMT, you will be floored. By the way, if you can turn up a used ESS, buy it. They sell for $300-$500, but you can mod the crossover and install modern woofers to create a giant slayer. They're that good.

$6k will also get you any used Quad or Magnepan - some models are very impressive.

Don't let people tell you that planars don't "have bass." They do. The Quads have that reputation, but they have the cleanest bass I've ever heard, going down to 40Hz. They don't have woofer distortion or box resonances - just the most gorgeous, tuneful bass I've ever heard. They're like a direct connection to the recording. The big Magnepans have serious bass panels, too.

Further, these types of speakers throw out a dipolar soundstage that's only second to the real thing. It's not "you are there." It's "they are here." You'll understand when you hear them.

Anyhow, you've got a lot of reading and homework to do if these interest you. They're a world apart from conventional speakers. A world you won't want to leave once you've heard them. I can say without hesitation that if you love the HD-800, a pair of Quads will make you very happy.

I have heard Magnapans on a number of different occasions, in a variety of different settings, from dealer sound rooms to my friend's living room. I was FLOORED on every occasion. I can't afford them, and I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment. Believe me, if things were different, I'd have them in a heartbeat.

Note: On every occasion, they had SERIOUS electronics pushing them. If you can budget for the Maggies, make sure you factor in great amp/preamp/source components. But I bet you knew that!

Note: I currently live with (and love) PSB Stratus Minis; these are barely the midrange of the PSB line (and they are discontinued, at this point) but they sound great. Can't speak for the high-end PSB's, but I've always thought it was a good sign when a modestly priced speaker, midway in the line, sounds as good as this. The Stratus Minis sold for about $1200 -- $1500, depending on finish. My minis give me great sound in a very uncooperative room with very modest components pushing them.

Wish I had your budget; please post what you end up buying.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 47
Haha unless you can mount the Acapella plasma tweeter box right next to your ear then it could be the other way around lol.

Actually this has reminded me that someone in Sydney has one of the lower models... must have been horrendous shipping :S

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 47
Some interesting recommendations, and some horrible ones as well. To get any recommendations that might have a chance of being meaningful the OP needs to post more info; such as associated electronics, room dimensions, musical preferences, and listening habits (How loud).

As an example some have recommended Maggies, and I agree that a pair of 3.6's can make for an amazing system. However the maggies need a lot of power, and if the OP profile is correct a Roksan integrated will not drive the 3.6's adequately.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 47
I, like Uncle and Guy, would agree that nothing can provide the detail of planars. that's IHMO of course.
Long ago I used to listen via Accustats to "reading aloud" a FM program from WGBH in Boston. For readings there would be a ticking at a very low level. I finally figured out that I was listening to his watch-it moved around. This became my test for detail --- no other speakers, even at high volumn retreaved the watch's tick. For me it was "case closed on the detail question!

I would add two points. Many planars have a very very small sweet spot--your head is in that half square foot or you might as well save your $. A big disadvantage---just like a highend HP- for one person only. You must try before you buy.
I, like Uncle, am building The Orion+ because of its room sized sweet spot. I exagerate some but not a lot. The Orions have specific requirements as to placement but there really is no requirement for room treatment if you can meet the placement requirements--i.e., the room looks normal, a big plus if your listening takes place in a living area. Also the Orions can be purchased as a totally finished unit with or w/o amplification. The stated disadvantage of the Orionws is that to make them sing the volumn must be turned up. How much I will have to wait and see, but for low level personal listening I've got HP. Again listening before you buy is critical.

Enjoy your search and good luck, George

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter how expensive loudspeakers you buy, they can't compete with headphones unless the room got great acoustics.

Thanks for the laugh this morning, I needed it!

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 47
From my experience, planar speakers (like planar headphones) have a distinctive and different sound from moving coil speakers. You have to go listen and hear if they are to your liking or not.

When I have heard Focal/JM Lab speakers, they do sound clear and detailed, bordering on analytical and etched. I suspect they are sensitive to amplification pairing and would recommend against an amplifier of similar sonic traits (Spectral/Halcro). Which amplifier do you currently use?

Spend plenty of time listening at shops and see if any will let you borrow and try at home.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You dont know what youre talking about! You cant be serious about this un-educated statement, if you havent experienced good speakers in average rooms with good placement, dont jump into this discussions and stay in your imaginary world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back