Speaker like presentation wanted. What to do?
Sep 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #46 of 51
Speaker like range then. Go as far down and as high up as possible while maintaining the mid range.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is an interesting experiment you can try. Listen to a live event first with your eyes open and then with your eyes closed............Now what is the musical experience with your eyes closed????
atsmile.gif

Done this plenty of times. It certainly doesn't usually sound like any headphones I've heard (barring binaural recordings and pseudo-surround DSPs)

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaker like range then. Go as far down and as high up as possible while maintaining the mid range.

I haven't heard or seen any speaker that has the range of a headphone.

Largest range I've seen is from a studio monitor, 45-37,000 Hz.

Nowhere close to a Sony SA5000, or even the HD650. Well really any good headphone more than $300.

Your search is impossible, for this one really good reason. Your left ear hears the right speaker, your right ear hears the left speaker. I believe some use crossover junk on headphone amp or software, but IMO doesn't work.

Considering this, maybe K1000 is your only option, but even then it's not the same, not even close. If K1000 is too expensive, then I would consider the following.

Also my suggestion is to get a mellow sounding headphone, or what is considered here laid back.

Speakers don't have the harsh sparkle or sibliance that many headphones have, even those more than $500. Also speakers don't usually have a fatiguing sound, at least the ones I have used don't, especially nice monitors.

I have never heard any closed headphone that sounds like speakers. The other part is, headphones only use one driver which makes them hard to have that balance that speakers have with 2 or 3 drivers for different range of sound. Closed headphones by their inherit design have an even more difficult time having that balance, bass and treble gross with recessed mids, usually, even the loved D2000 here fall into that problem, horribly.

Lastly not an IEM. I know some will disagree, but I'll be happy to believe that there is something wrong with their hearing or perception of sound. Speakers don't drive sound directly into your ear canal, the nuances of your ears play a role and the sound traveling through air before reaching your ears.

Good luck with your search.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 51
Doesn't exist. The K1k has something of a nearfield-monitor-like presentation but it's at a halfway point at best, and its bass doesn't go very low. The HE90 has a very tall soundstage that can be somewhat speaker-like but its imaging is nowhere near as good as a pair of quality nearfields. The O2 can image like a hologram and is completely 3-dimensional but it's still headphone-like in its overall presentation, and its soundstage is small. The ESP950 doesn't do soundstage well at all with the E90, but that horrible box is holding it back something fierce.

Get some good nearfield monitors. That's about all you can do. You're not going to have the lowest of the lows without a sub but you're not going to get much tactile response out of a headphone either unless you do something extreme like the O2/BHSE. The O2's bass goes lower than just about anything else but without a big amp you're not going to get that sort of bass in the first place. HD650 balanced can be a bass monster too but you're looking at big bucks here as well, and in either case you will still need a source that can pump out undistorted sub-bass, which won't come cheap.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #51 of 51
I found the Sennheisers 580 dull, the Grados all too bright that I've tried, and ditto with the Sony MDR-7506 that you can also add top end coarseness to. The Denon AHD-950 I remember was very closed-in and a bit recessed in the mids, but had punch down low and clarity up top. Sony MDR-V600 I thought was muddy. Numark PHX is a midrange emphasized sound with something very special going on with the velours, though a bit quiet in the lows without the leather. Also the PHX has some driver matching issues. I think the largest soundstage I've ever heard was the Koss A200, but a little recessed in the mids and quite bright. The best neutrality is probably the ER4S in my collection. And the best compramise between the two (Koss soundstage and Ety balance) has thus far been the Ortofon O-One. You might want to also look into the Koss ESP-900, but I found them bright. People who've used them longer than I have claim they are perfectly extended on top and bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back