Speaker like presentation wanted. What to do?
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #31 of 51
UHM why not deaden the room? You can make a black hole type echo killer using stuff you can get at your local home store. Deaden the room and the speakers will come to life. do a quick search for noise absorption and you will find the plans you need. Soft items deaden echos so carpet, thick curtains, and cloth wall hangings are the key. Movie theaters are a good place for ideas.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #32 of 51
If you can utilize your sub, then I'd say you definitely should look at headphones that will accentuate the rest (and maybe the type where you hear the bass instead of feel it).

Those Sony seem like they'd be great. Maybe the K701, W5000, and SA5000. You could still use your receiver as a source with Stax, you'd just have to do analog out. The only problem is that if you get a headphone that is fast and pair it with a sub that can't keep up it might cause some issues with coherency.

You could also look into bass shakers for some extra feedback or as an alternative for the sub.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #33 of 51
+1 for Sony PVR-V1, although some audio snobbery will make you miss the little gem.

sure its halfway house between k1000 and ety er4p but hey! you can beef the base tube up no problem with foam/wadding if you need for seal

but i guess true bassheads need not apply

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Crap. I really want to hear the V4s before I buy them. That is not going to happen easily. Just be patient and watch the FS huh? Maybe load up my paypal for a future grab.

I have some v4's you could probably try.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Floats actually might not be a bad suggestion, if youre comfortable looking like an ass

Well...I hope to be bringing my floats to the Guelph meet this weekend so there will be a bevy of asses there.
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #37 of 51
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Sonys would be interesting, the ED9 are too much $$ unless someone wants to trade my entire 2.1 for a pair. MS-1000? New to me too.

The room sucks man. Just trust me. I have tried and tried. There is simply no easy or good solution without pissing off my wife and my wallet big time. Now, I have this basement, lots of room, concrete floors, a blank canvas. All I need is time and $$. Two thing I have little of atm.

V4 loaner? Pm you on that one man. I have borrowed from Skylab before. He will vouch for me if necessary.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 51
Cool. kingstyles has generously agreed to lend me his V4s for a bit. Many thanks! Anyone else is welcome to trust me with their cans for a week or two. I have respectable references.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #39 of 51
IMO all this talk about headphones sounding like speakers is nonsense for the most part. I can tell you Lambdas are GREAT headphones, but they do not sound like speakers. They sound like headphones. Same goes for just about everything else out there. The only two I've heard that get halfway there are the K1000 and the Stax Sigma. The sound never seems to fully get "out there" the way speakers naturally do, but they atleast bring the sound out to your face. If you want to up your budget and go for the SVS system I can say from experience that it is indeed amazing at replicating the speakers in the demo system I tried. This would probably be the only way to really get a "speaker like presentation" from headphones.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #40 of 51
HD800's give you the presentation that you're looking for. The music is exactly the way it's supposed to sound, and it doesn't seem like it's coming from two tiny tweeter-sized drivers.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #44 of 51
Huh, I got my HSUs doing tricks now. Dolby surround is a weird animal.

Ok so the main issue is this:

With my speakers, in a quiet room, I could hear everything clearly. I know this b/c in near field, when I crank it up, I do hear everything. Problem is, it is really loud and I am, MARRIED!! Yay!

Old problem actually. So until I can finish a room in the basement, I do believe that I need to return to the headphone realm.

If anyone has a pair of Pro 900s they could spare for two weeks, I would really appreciate it. Those are the only other cans in my price range atm which would interest me.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO all this talk about headphones sounding like speakers is nonsense for the most part. I can tell you Lambdas are GREAT headphones, but they do not sound like speakers. They sound like headphones. Same goes for just about everything else out there. The only two I've heard that get halfway there are the K1000 and the Stax Sigma. The sound never seems to fully get "out there" the way speakers naturally do, but they atleast bring the sound out to your face.................. .. .

You are right. I don't know of any headphone which can provide anything close to a speaker like presentation. The thing I don't understand is why would you want a "Speaker Like Presentation" from any headphone. To me the headphone experience gives one a different way to experience the reproduction of the music experience. Sort of like asking for a Motorcycle that drives like an automobile. Also there are other headphones that can bring the sound experience "out to your face"

Here is an interesting experiment you can try. Listen to a live event first with your eyes open and then with your eyes closed............Now what is the musical experience with your eyes closed????
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back