Speaker cables for headphones?
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hk91320

New Head-Fier
I made this comment in a different thread, but thought it might warrant its own discussion. So here it is....has any of you tried using good speaker cables for your headphone? 

I have both HE-6 and HE-500. Given that I drive them with speaker amps, I wondered... What if I drive them with a decent quality speaker cables? It so happens that I had Audioquest Copperhead speaker cables lying around in the house. They were not too high end, but reasonably thin good cables at $2-300/pair for typical 6ft pair of speaker cables. I had 12+ ft pair of these cables, so I connected HifiMan headphone connectors on one end to see what would happen.

Well... they actually sound MUCH better than the stock HE-6 cable that I was using for both cans. More open, more organic, and quite a bit less veiled sounding. I didn't think my HifiMans sounded veiled before this experiment... This was after about 50 hours of break-in. These cables are heavier (obviously), and somewhat cumbersome to use, but they do sound better. 

Has anyone used even higher end speaker cables for their cans? I am thinking something like Audience AU24 which are pretty thin. Maybe even Cardas Golden Reference might work since while a bit heavy, they are pretty flexible. Of course, these cables of any reasonable length would be more expensive than most headphones... 

Is there anyone crazy enough to try it? 

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm crazy enough to try it, but I want to make sure it's a good idea with my PureDAC amp. Trying to find out if its worth using the speaker outs at all, or just sticking with the balanced headphone jack.

Since I already have the PureDAC and PureUSB1, I figured I'd stick with BMC and try their copper MonoC cable. Can't find a price for them though.

I've also got HE-6's. I'm really wondering just what a difference this cable can make, and coming out of the speaker outs!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Shouldn't make any difference at all. Might look funny. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Darn. So output is the same, whether through balanced headphone or speaker out? The HE-6's are great with the PureDAC, except the low end. I get better low end from my IEM's. I was hoping speaker out would solve the issue.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 7
If the amplifier (power and impedance) are the same, then yes - there would not be an output difference. If you are using different amplifiers - then there might be a difference, depending on the above factors and the impedance curve of the HE-6's. 

I had misunderstood and though the discussion was just about using speaker cables in place of a smaller headphone cable. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 7
You mean like this?

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Yup, something like that. Well, I think I just have to get another amp and use my PureDAC for a Preamp. Found this WA22 on the wooaudio website.

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

It looks like it will be a beautiful match for the pureDAC, but then again, I don't know what all the numbers mean yet. I might open up another post about that though. Thanks for your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back