Speaker amp for headphones - Creek 5350SE ??
Aug 11, 2011 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking on a Creek 5350SE, thinking it might drive my 2nd speaker system and might potentially drive some headphones, since it has double speaker terminals. It also has a normal headphone out, but I don't know ow it is.
'
4287-creek_5350seb.jpg

small_P1000754.JPG

1) Do anybody have specific experience with this amp - especially as a headphone amp - from 1/4 jack and Speaker terminals

2) How should one connect headphones to the speaker terminals? 

http://aloaudio.com/miniwatt-headphone-adapter.html

APPJ amplifer to headphone adapter
frontback.jpg

thanks!

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 8
And I've asked Creek directly. This is interesting news for all who want a SS integrated AND a SS amp:

Dear Sir,

The headphone output on all our integrated amplifiers are supplied direct from the main amplifier stage via a large resistor.

We would not advise you connect headphones to the main output of an amplifier.

[size=medium][size=small]Regards [/size][/size]  
[size=medium][size=small][size=small]Technical Support[/size] [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=small][size=x-small]Creek Audio Ltd & Epos Ltd [/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=small][size=x-small]12 Avebury Court, Mark Road [/size][/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=small][size=x-small]Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7TA [/size][/size][/size]

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 8
That's how most receivers/integrateds handle headphone output. They use resistors to step down output from the speaker output.

And congrats on picking up a nice Creek. They don't get a lot of attention around here, but they make good stuff.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 8
Interesting.

I too have been interested in maybe picking up a Creek integrated to upgrade my 2-channel system and add headphones to the mix. I sent them an e-mail asking about the quality of their headphone output and got a similar response:

"Dear Sir,

The headphone output on all our integrated amplifiers are supplied direct from the main amplifier stage via a large resistor.

The output quality would be similar to that of the OBH-21SE, however this unit is no longer in production. I'm sure you would be more than satisfied with either the Evolution 2 or Destiny 2 models.

Regards,

Creek Audio Ltd & Epos Ltd Team"

That begs the question - how good is the OBH-21? I'm guessing it's decent, but not a standout amp like Burson, Woo, etc.

By the way, I've been checking out a lot of newer integrated amps and something bothers me. Is it just me, or do they all seem to have tiny transformers compared to the big, over-engineered  monoliths found in older vintage gear? They are small little boxes with small little boards and small (if any) heat sinks.

I kind of think of consumer electronics like I do cars. A new Mercedes or Porsche has lots of bells and whistles, drives well and costs a fortune, but they aren't built like they used to be. Cheaper plastics to keep weight down, and rattles/squeaks after 30,000 miles. They are computer CAD/CAM designed to last 8-10 years and are not designed to be owner-serviced. Compare this to vintage German cars from the 60's through the 80's (pre-CAD). They were overbuilt and over-engineered because they didn't have computers to design them to the nth degree. I have a 88 BMW with 210,000 miles that's still going strong...

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 8

I thougoht most integrated had a cheap seperate headphne amplifier stage (opamps direct from the pre-stage)
Quote:
That's how most receivers/integrateds handle headphone output. They use resistors to step down output from the speaker output.

And congrats on picking up a nice Creek. They don't get a lot of attention around here, but they make good stuff.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 8
I had the Grace m902 and loved it with the HD650 - I regretted selling them. But now the Creek 5350SE gives me the same feeling as the Grace :))

Also, if you want to go tubes - consider the integrated Cary SLI-80, wich I also have - or the VTL IT-85, which my friend is in love with - for speakers AND headphones alike. He sold his Graham Slee Solo the second he got VTL..

People using speaker amp for headphones playing from the speaker terminals often use an adaptor - which is just a resistor. 

With regards to power supplies - you should audtion something like the Naim Nait XS (for speakers) Its a small box - but delivers current as hell. It replaceda Primare i30 which weighs double but felt a lot less powerful. The Naim doesn't have a headphone out, though :frowning2:

By the way - you might find THIS THREAD interesting

Quote:
Interesting.

I too have been interested in maybe picking up a Creek integrated to upgrade my 2-channel system and add headphones to the mix. I sent them an e-mail asking about the quality of their headphone output and got a similar response:

"Dear Sir,

The output quality would be similar to that of the OBH-21SE, however this unit is no longer in production. I'm sure you would be more than satisfied with either the Evolution 2 or Destiny 2 models.

Regards,

Creek Audio Ltd & Epos Ltd Team"

That begs the question - how good is the OBH-21? I'm guessing it's decent, but not a standout amp like Burson, Woo, etc.

By the way, I've been checking out a lot of newer integrated amps and something bothers me. Is it just me, or do they all seem to have tiny transformers compared to the big, over-engineered  monoliths found in older vintage gear? They are small little boxes with small little boards and small (if any) heat sinks.

I kind of think of consumer electronics like I do cars. A new Mercedes or Porsche has lots of bells and whistles, drives well and costs a fortune, but they aren't built like they used to be. Cheaper plastics to keep weight down, and rattles/squeaks after 30,000 miles. They are computer CAD/CAM designed to last 8-10 years and are not designed to be owner-serviced. Compare this to vintage German cars from the 60's through the 80's (pre-CAD). They were overbuilt and over-engineered because they didn't have computers to design them to the nth degree. I have a 88 BMW with 210,000 miles that's still going strong...

May 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 8
My Creek Evolution (1st generation) does a really nice job as a headphone amp, although I often opt to use my Valhalla in that capacity. Really like the Creek house sound as to my ears it is very engaging without being overly coloured to produce the engagement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back