SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Jul 6, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #121 of 356
I don't believe I actually had the Aries and Morpheus in my system at the same time. They may have both been in the house briefly, while one was waiting to be shipped out, and the other had just arrived and wasn't yet unpacked. But I could be wrong - a LOT of gear comes through here, and I only really report on the stuff I like.

In any case, I'd say they would work very well together just based on their individual excellence. You've got a DAC with beautiful tonality, that doesn't sacrifice resolution and in fact has some of the cleanest, most defined treble out there. Combine that with the sonic-scalpel that is the Aries, and you've got a winning combo for most situations.

I say most because if you want a euphonic, colored sound to fix flaws in your music/headphones, the Aries/Morpheus won't do that at all.
I was able to secure a unit for trial and buy (if I like). I'm really looking forward to hearing this combo in action!

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #124 of 356
@project86
Mate any chance have you tried powering Abyss 1266 via Aries ?
Not likely , next month I’m going to check out the Abyss 1266 TC with a Bakoon Enleum 23r integrate at a dealer, it’s a newly revised model stemming from the 13r Bakoon integrated amplifier .

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #126 of 356
I've been listening to the Aries fora a day or two now.

Only DAC I have is the one built into the CMA Twleve (dual 4490 chip). XLR from CMA to Aries. Using the Final D8000 headphones.

PassionForSound mostly summed it up in his Youtube Review.

It's very neutral without suffering from the dry/boring/****thisamp effect I get when listening to anything THX based.

Touch screen is very responsive. Volume and Balance controls are excellent.

In slow moving music, it can be hard to distinguish between the Aries and the CMA Twelve (also an excellent amp). In faster, busy and highly dynamic tracks (a lot of my instrumental prog type music), it starts to pull away, handling the dynamics better and overall just being more effortless during the very busy sections.

Also how good is the D8000 !

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #127 of 356
Better post some snaps

Attachments

• 20210708_194803.jpg
    20210708_194803.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210709_092346.jpg
    20210709_092346.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #129 of 356
For those interested, I've been absorbed in the Sonnet Morpheus/Aries pairing for the last few days. I'll give impressions soon (currently waiting on various coax/AES convertors) but so far the pairing has impressed me a great deal and I can see why it's the pairing of choice for Zach from ZMF, as it really plays to the strength of their tuning.

P1090657.JPG

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #135 of 356
I am wondering if it is a good amp for Sony z1r. Anyone has the experience?
Hi in terms of driveability, no problem at all you wont need more than low gain. As per the reviews/comments the Aries is open and neutral with a really low noise floor so should pair well with the Z1R. Not sure where in the world you are however many dealers will loan you a demo unit and if possible before parting with your £/$ I would strongly recommend you take advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back