SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #137 of 355
I'm sitting here listening to Marlon Williams Live at Auckland Town Hall. He is a genius New Zealand singer who is the closest thing I've heard to Roy Orbison in range, delivery, and impact, and one of the best live acts I've ever seen. It's a stellar recording too. Anyway, heavily modded classic Marantz CD80 as transport, Chord Qutest DAC and Sparko Aries headamp, Audeze LCD4 cans. Close my eyes and I could almost be in the audience.

I've posted on the Sparko Aries amp before, and I have also got their opamps in some of my other gear.

I'm not going to add up the total cost of the setup but it's a lot. Actually, it's about AU$14k RRP so it should sound good.

The Aries is insanely good. And I think it's a bargain at US$3k, well as much as something $3k can be a bargain. I really need to drag my Burson Conductor 3x Reference into the same room and compare them though. The Burson is beautiful.

If you are thinking about a headamp in this price range you really should put the Sparko on your audition list. Andrew Sparko is great to deal with too.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #139 of 355
Yeah, I caved. Bought one.

Now need to find a DAC to pair with to run D8000
Good choice on both amp and headphone. What's your budget for a DAC?

I have been "DAC rolling" this week, and have basically come to the conclusion the Hugo 2 is an excellent pairing with the Aries, though I'm sure others can chip in with alternatives.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #143 of 355
Potentially, if it presents value. I'd also consider some VW models and possibly a MG.
Gotcha. Owing to your heritage, may I humbly suggest the 1990 Holden "Ute." She's an oldie but with her tight bottom end, textured midrange, and sparkly highs, she'll be sure to pair nicely with the Sparkos.

holden_ute_vg_ser1_01.jpg

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #144 of 355
Gotcha. Owing to your heritage, may I humbly suggest the 1990 Holden "Ute." She's an oldie but with her tight bottom end, textured midrange, and sparkly highs, she'll be sure to pair nicely with the Sparkos.

holden_ute_vg_ser1_01.jpg
Haha. I am employed (not living off the government's money) and don't live rural, so I'm not allowed to drive an old Holden Ute mate.

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #145 of 355
Haha. I am employed (not living off the government's money) and don't live rural, so I'm not allowed to drive an old Holden Ute mate.
Fair play - or fair dinkum, as you lot say - pretty sure I saw it in once in Neighbours or maybe Home and Away circa 1991, so thought it was a legit all rounder.

Anyway, back on thread.... Chord Qutest would be good.

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #146 of 355
Fair play - or fair dinkum, as you lot say - pretty sure I saw it in once in Neighbours or maybe Home and Away circa 1991, so thought it was a legit all rounder.

Struth. I'll have a Captain Cook.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #148 of 355

Found a used Qutest.

Will report back when both arrive!

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #149 of 355
Found a used Qutest.

Will report back when both arrive!
Excellent choice. I am a big fan of the Hugo 2/Aries pairing, and given that the Qutest is the stationary Hugo 2, I'm confident you'll dig it.

Incidentally, I mentioned earlier on this thread that I was demoing the Sonnet Morpheus with the Aries following the review by @project86. Alas, the pairing didn't prove appealing to me. The Morpheus is a great DAC, though I found it somehow too soft and not dynamic enough with the Aries (but this is certainly a question of taste, and which is why I like the Chord sound). On a more prosaic level, I didn't find the technical aspects sufficiently a step-up from the Hugo 2 in terms of imaging, layering, detail to inspire buying it. The one area it is a step-up is in terms of soundstage, but that also contributes to a more relaxed presentation (too diffused for my liking).

In any case, my ramblings are on the Sonnet thread and conclude here.

For me, Hugo 2 and Aries are where it's at at least on a SS front. All the remains now is to get a desktop tube amp which compliments the Aries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back