SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #346 of 355
Intriguing !!

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #347 of 355
This is what I like about it, price seems seems very reasonable for a hybrid with the specs it has and the build quality along with the design seems like a great deal for the price. Great opportunity as an amp that can tube roll and op-amp roll so there's a lot to experiment with. Might end up picking one up down the line.
I'm not sure if it can op-amp roll but tube roll yes. The other key thing to mention is thst the Gemini is basically two amps in one because the gain control is more about adjusting how hard the tube is driven and how much impact has on the presentation. On low gain, the amp works 10db harder I believe. This means on high gain, the amp has a very SS feel - almost like an Aries presentation. Versatility is really top notch. I was up into the early hours with HD800S on tube mode - phenomenal!

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #349 of 355
Got a Sparkos Labs Gemini about 3 weeks ago. Enjoyed trying various tubes. I've stopped listening to my iFi Pro iCan & LTA MZ2. So much quieter, clearer, spacious. Closer to the MZ2 all tube sound, than even the iFi with tubes engaged.
Can only agree with this. I also had MZ2 and MZ3 (and also reviewed Pro iCan), and to my ears Gemini outperforms all of them. Clean and spacious is right. Also highly dynamic and pairs beautifully with everything I throw at it.

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #350 of 355
Can only agree with this. I also had MZ2 and MZ3 (and also reviewed Pro iCan), and to my ears Gemini outperforms all of them. Clean and spacious is right. Also highly dynamic and pairs beautifully with everything I throw at it.

Thanks for the impressions. What would be most important to me is how it compares to the Aries (which I have). ? The Gemini's rated relatively high distortion levels due to the tube give me pause, but of course I know that a little 2nd harmonic can greatly "sweeten" the sound euphonically and ameliorate any digital hardness coming from elsewhere in the system. Also, the slightly lower power output than the Aries is a possible concern since my EQ'd Monoprice AMT headphones are somewhat power hungry.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #351 of 355
Thanks for the impressions. What would be most important to me is how it compares to the Aries (which I have). ? The Gemini's rated relatively high distortion levels due to the tube give me pause, but of course I know that a little 2nd harmonic can greatly "sweeten" the sound euphonically and ameliorate any digital hardness coming from elsewhere in the system.
Andrew mentioned to me that one can use the Aries via the RCA out of the Gemini, if you want set the tube element and adjust the gain accordingly. I did try this with a Mass Kobo SS amp, and indeed it sounded great.

I no longer have the Aries, only because it was slightly too cumbersome for my use in terms of size, but from recollection the Gemini shares some attributes while offer a little touch of sweetness. Though this is in no sense a lush/warm amp, which personally suits me well.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #352 of 355
I must say, I am interested as I have a small collection of E88CCs that is not getting any use. But how does the Gemini do with high impendence headphones, like the 300 ohm Sennheisers and ZMFs? I ask because I see that it has a very low output impendence.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #353 of 355
I must say, I am interested as I have a small collection of E88CCs that is not getting any use. But how does the Gemini do with high impendence headphones, like the 300 ohm Sennheisers and ZMFs? I ask because I see that it has a very low output impendence.
• I am quite interested in Sparkos Gemini - but for lower impedance headphones. The Gemini nominal output impedance (0.25 ohms) would create a mammoth nominal damping factor of 1200 with Senns, ZMF dynamic-driver headphones. This would tightly (over?) damp the drivers, preventing them from fulling ‘exhaling’. [The very issue for me with LTA MZ3.]
• EDIT: should I get a Gemini, the immediate comparison would be with Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum. I would use the same tube brand & type for both h/p/a.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #354 of 355
Can't speak for ZMF, but HD800s is a dreamy pairing with Gemini - dynamic, impactful, holographic soundstage retained, top end slightly smoothed out, little more body added to the lower mids. Overall - very authoritative.

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #355 of 355
My magical shoebox (=Gemini) also arrived and I am really impressed so far by this little device. "Authoritative" is really the right term!
I also created a dedicated thread for the Gemini so the Aries discussion does not get polluted as much :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back