SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #333 of 355
I had the Aries and with all the pain had to sell it, very bright in my system with Pontus 2 but brings out every detail from any song and it's quite amazing sounding
Strange, I also use gs2000 grades and the sound tends towards warm, I had a Spirit Torino Valkyria before and even in that case the sound was very rich in the mids and smooth in the upper range.I agree with you that it is an amp that disappears, it adds little of its own while remaining very neutral. With the Merging Nadac DAC I have never encountered listening fatigue.However, I also have other amplifiers, both hybrid and tube, 2a3, so the d8000 will certainly find its love!

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #334 of 355
I had the Aries and with all the pain had to sell it, very bright in my system with Pontus 2 but brings out every detail from any song and it's quite amazing sounding
Agreed, love the sound of the Aries amp when I had in for a demo. If it had a balanced output I would have bought it.

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #335 of 355
Strange, I also use gs2000 grades and the sound tends towards warm, I had a Spirit Torino Valkyria before and even in that case the sound was very rich in the mids and smooth in the upper range.I agree with you that it is an amp that disappears, it adds little of its own while remaining very neutral. With the Merging Nadac DAC I have never encountered listening fatigue.However, I also have other amplifiers, both hybrid and tube, 2a3, so the d8000 will certainly find its love!

I was wondering why you have decided to sell Spirit Torino Valkyria. After all a lot of people dream of buying them... :relaxed:
What are your favourite headphones now and why?

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #336 of 355
I’ve been eyeing this gear for a while. The Modhouse Tungsten seems to be perfect for this amp…

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #337 of 355
I was wondering why you have decided to sell Spirit Torino Valkyria. After all a lot of people dream of buying them... :relaxed:
What are your favourite headphones now and why?
thank you for the question,
spirit valkyria are unique headphones, some things they can do, no other headphones are able to do, above all the reproduction of solo piano and chamber music. I managed to equalize the ca1a in order to obtain a very similar result, and I invested in the dedicated Raal wm1a tube amplifier, which however I also need for the sr1a.
In my life as a headphone listening enthusiast, there are various steps, before Spirit Valkyria there was Susvara and Riviera Aic10 and even before that Viva Audio Egoista with Lcd4, now the Raal give me a lot of satisfaction, and then there is the x9000, which in my opinion is extraordinary, unfortunately there are more headphones than time to listen to them.

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #338 of 355
thank you for the question,
spirit valkyria are unique headphones, some things they can do, no other headphones are able to do, above all the reproduction of solo piano and chamber music. I managed to equalize the ca1a in order to obtain a very similar result, and I invested in the dedicated Raal wm1a tube amplifier, which however I also need for the sr1a.
In my life as a headphone listening enthusiast, there are various steps, before Spirit Valkyria there was Susvara and Riviera Aic10 and even before that Viva Audio Egoista with Lcd4, now the Raal give me a lot of satisfaction, and then there is the x9000, which in my opinion is extraordinary, unfortunately there are more headphones than time to listen to them.
Thanks for your reply.
And what do you think about Final d8000 and upcoming x8000, which might be very special and not so extrodinarilly expensive?
Coming back to Spirit Torino Valkyria - do you think it is worth its price? Many people like it a lot; many - especially taking into account its price - are really disappointed.

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #339 of 355
Thanks for your reply.
And what do you think about Final d8000 and upcoming x8000, which might be very special and not so extrodinarilly expensive?
Coming back to Spirit Torino Valkyria - do you think it is worth its price? Many people like it a lot; many - especially taking into account its price - are really disappointed.
final d8000 pro ordered and awaiting delivery, so I can't tell you things that you don't already know by reading the discussions.
Spirit Valkyria is true, it has a high cost, but it is designed more as a limited series, a few pieces for lovers of the brand and collectors.

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #340 of 355
final d8000 pro ordered and awaiting delivery, so I can't tell you things that you don't already know by reading the discussions.
Spirit Valkyria is true, it has a high cost, but it is designed more as a limited series, a few pieces for lovers of the brand and collectors.
Thanks again.
I see that you are trying different configurations all the time.
Good.
I think it is not difficult to spend a fortune on (for instance) Trafomatic Audio Primavera and Spirit Torino Valkyria and have a great sound.
But to get 90% of that sound and spend only 30% of the cost is really something...
Do you think it is possible?

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #343 of 355
was curious as well - came looking and thought there might be a thread about the Gemini now. Have respect for Sparkos' work - would love to play with one of these.
I ordered one and it'll ship next week, so can update soon. Initial impressions I hear from other sources are very promising indeed.

And indeed, big respect for the work of Sparkos. You got to hand it to this guy how he details every thought that goes into his amps/opamps - layering clear the design with such precision. Andrew's proud of his work and rightfully so.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #344 of 355
Gemini received. First impressions - clean, punchy, dynamic with an expansive soundstage yet precise in terms of imaging and layering. Straight out the box, you can hear it has some elements of the Aries but with a little more texture and dare I say "musicality." Excellent build - volume control is especially lovely. And this is before any tinkering/tube-rolling/or even burn-in. So far pairs super well with everything I throw at it - from IE900 to Kennerton Rognir planar. In terms of sources, I'm finding it pairs exceptionally well with Mojo 2/Qutest. Honestly, for the price I think it's quite the bargain. Kudos to Andrew! You nailed it, sir.

original_bd986bdc-f3ef-46e1-8553-5f8e9d94b5d3_1140003.jpg

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #345 of 355
Gemini received. First impressions - clean, punchy, dynamic with an expansive soundstage yet precise in terms of imaging and layering. Straight out the box, you can hear it has some elements of the Aries but with a little more texture and dare I say "musicality." Excellent build - volume control is especially lovely. And this is before any tinkering/tube-rolling/or even burn-in. So far pairs super well with everything I throw at it - from IE900 to Kennerton Rognir planar. In terms of sources, I'm finding it pairs exceptionally well with Mojo 2/Qutest. Honestly, for the price I think it's quite the bargain. Kudos to Andrew! You nailed it, sir.

original_bd986bdc-f3ef-46e1-8553-5f8e9d94b5d3_1140003.jpg
This is what I like about it, price seems seems very reasonable for a hybrid with the specs it has and the build quality along with the design seems like a great deal for the price. Great opportunity as an amp that can tube roll and op-amp roll so there's a lot to experiment with. Might end up picking one up down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back