SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Apr 29, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #61 of 355
I have just received my Sparkos Aries also
I could not resist plugging it in for a few minutes between my work calls.
Aries is indeed a very high caliber amplifier, clearly the best solid state I have heard so far, by a significant margin
Effortless, with outstanding detail retrieval and ease of presentation, images and organs are delineated in space with real breathing air in between
The Utopia is driven easily as expected
happy

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #62 of 355
I have just received my Sparkos Aries also
I could not resist plugging it in for a few minutes between my work calls.
Aries is indeed a very high caliber amplifier, clearly the best solid state I have heard so far, by a significant margin
Effortless, with outstanding detail retrieval and ease of presentation, images and organs are delineated in space with real breathing air in between
The Utopia is driven easily as expected
happy
Nikos I sure like my Aries, it didn’t take long to realize what it brought to the table . I don’t stream much as I have access to an enormous collection of music , Personally I prefer the sound quality of ripped over streamed music from Qobuz
Having recently owned the Zenith and Phoenix let me suggest at some point check out the Zenith server . Personally I’m one to focus on what’s up stream of the dac or phono stage 2nd only to choice of high performing transducer.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #63 of 355
Nikos I sure like my Aries, it didn’t take long to realize what it brought to the table . I don’t stream much as I have access to an enormous collection of music , Personally I prefer the sound quality of ripped over streamed music from Qobuz
Having recently owned the Zenith and Phoenix let me suggest at some point check out the Zenith server . Personally I’m one to focus on what’s up stream of the dac or phono stage 2nd only to choice of high performing transducer.
Your prioritization makes absolute sense ,anything lost upstream or muddled cannot be recovered, similar to a 2 channel hi end system. Decide what sound you like from the transducer and then start from upstream (cartridge/arm/turntable/drive etc)
Clearly the Zen Mini is not in the same league with the Zenith / Phoenix

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #64 of 355
I am curious of the Audiobyte combo, it has good reviews from reviewers I respect and Rockna/audiobyte know their digital. Please post comparisons with the May when you receive it

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #65 of 355
I am curious of the Audiobyte combo, it has good reviews from reviewers I respect and Rockna/audiobyte know their digital. Please post comparisons with the May when you receive it
In a nut shell I gave up waiting for the Audiobyte Hub , a streamer , to be released .It was the third piece to complete the digital stack. I took the server out of my main system to use for headphone listening and now my original idea for a small neat and tidy package is out the widow ,..
I no longer have the AudioByte Vox dac however I have a friend who owns a Hydra Vox I could borrow.
The Holo May KTE dac is ready to be shipped though I expect a long , long run in ,,..

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #66 of 355
In a nut shell I gave up waiting for the Audiobyte Hub , a streamer , to be released .It was the third piece to complete the digital stack. I took the server out of my main system to use for headphone listening and now my original idea for a small neat and tidy package is out the widow ,..
I no longer have the AudioByte Vox dac however I have a friend who owns a Hydra Vox I could borrow.
The Holo May KTE dac is ready to be shipped though I expect a long , long run in ,,..

I'm awaiting the Holo Spring 3 - which is going to integrate some of the Holo May's features into it. Supposed to be coming out in the next few weeks hopefully. I imagine it'll pair real well with the Aries amp.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #67 of 355
I'm awaiting the Holo Spring 3 - which is going to integrate some of the Holo May's features into it. Supposed to be coming out in the next few weeks hopefully. I imagine it'll pair real well with the Aries a
Yeah i think Holo Audio offer tremendous value for the dollar , beautiful design with exceptional measurements and apparent fabulous sound quality.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #68 of 355
Your prioritization makes absolute sense ,anything lost upstream or muddled cannot be recovered, similar to a 2 channel hi end system. Decide what sound you like from the transducer and then start from upstream (cartridge/arm/turntable/drive etc)
Clearly the Zen Mini is not in the same league with the Zenith / Phoenix
Yes Innuos catapulted my listening experience to a whole other level a couple years ago though I’ve switched server brands to another brand I’m pretty sure I’ve found my Nirvana.
Sure if you stay with the Innuos brand keep an eye out for a used Zenith , it’ll rock your world ,.

Apr 29, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #69 of 355
Some changes are currently taking place with my system starting today ,... first my favourite lazy boy i use for listening is getting re-upholstered ,,... a new component rack with caster wheels is in the planning stage, a new dac will be ordered soon , Holo May KTE and my Sparkos Lab Aries is being returned for the Aries preamp model ,..,,...I know , I know who Fn cares ,,..
We share a somewhat simlar HiFi system. Considering a couple different SS upgrades after selling my Headamp Mini. I would be interested in driving a power amplifier from a preouts of headphone amp for my 2ch system. I noticed you had your Aries upgraded to the preamp version. Did you notice any change or sacrifice to the sound of your headphones with your new preamp version?

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #70 of 355
We share a somewhat simlar HiFi system. Considering a couple different SS upgrades after selling my Headamp Mini. I would be interested in driving a power amplifier from a preouts of headphone amp for my 2ch system. I noticed you had your Aries upgraded to the preamp version. Did you notice any change or sacrifice to the sound of your headphones with your new preamp version?
Thats a great question , I did give that a bit of a think and went ahead anyway with the preamp model , I‘ll be able to answer that question once my new dac arrives . I’ll certainly post my findings.

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #71 of 355
I did contact the manufacturer he told me “no“, it will not effect playback sound quality, the signal paths are identical in the standard Aries and the full Aries ...

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #72 of 355
The Aries is a apparent contender for the current top solid state amplifier and a great value, that being said and and tossing all costs aside what solid state amplifier clearly out performs the Aries?

May 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #73 of 355
Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #74 of 355
Bongiorno Mickey ,..., I understand your response to Vangelis question though it would be interesting to directly compare sound quality performance to these other headphone amplifiers starting at double the price and up . However what the Aries has in spades is its transparent character that doesn’t as far as I can tell add or subtract anything from the upstream components .

The reviews of the Sparkos Lab preamplifier are honest and spot on I would add this being the very first component offering by Andrew Sparks this young man has a brilliant high end audio future.

Mickey try one I’ll think you’ll like it ,...

May 5, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #75 of 355

Users who are viewing this thread

Back