SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 355
Excellent. I may also receive by Xmas. Currently working with a UK dealer who also tells me Andrew is great to deal with.
The burson is in my main system and it is an awesome preamp and DAC as well as a head amp. I love it. But I don't think the Aries has a remote control for volume so I'm not likely to ever use it as a preamp unless I replace the marantz PM80 integrated and put a power amp on my desk.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 355
Yes, the lack of remote is my only real complaint about Aries. It's such a great preamp in terms of sound and even functionality with the touch screen and various options, but the lack of remote is a hindrance in many cases.

Side note, adding a monitor on top of the amp is usually a valid option - make sure to use something to protect against scuffs though. Most monitors in the 21" to 32" range should not be so heavy as to cause problems, though larger ones might have a base that exceeds the size of the amp.

If you worry about the weight or the heat output of a warmer amp, you can always look for a monitor stand large enough to slide the amp underneath:

1606408165645.png

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 355
Yes, the lack of remote is my only real complaint about Aries. It's such a great preamp in terms of sound and even functionality with the touch screen and various options, but the lack of remote is a hindrance in many cases.

Side note, adding a monitor on top of the amp is usually a valid option - make sure to use something to protect against scuffs though. Most monitors in the 21" to 32" range should not be so heavy as to cause problems, though larger ones might have a base that exceeds the size of the amp.

If you worry about the weight or the heat output of a warmer amp, you can always look for a monitor stand large enough to slide the amp underneath:

1606408165645.png
Thanks so much for this. I've actually been looking for a monitor stand that would fit the Aries underneath (which I gather is 4" in height) but it seems they're rather hard to find. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear. The monitor base I have is smaller than the Aries, but it's about 8kg and I'm not sure if that would be an issue to weigh on the amp...

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 355
I'm not sure what might be available in your region, but I see taller ones from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Trend...0&sr=1-2-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Adj...&keywords=monitor+stand&qid=1606423230&sr=8-5

Some of them are ugly but you get the idea, they do exist. Ideally I'd want something that wasn't far wider than the amp or DAC sitting underneath it, just to maintain a good aesthetic. But I suppose you could run both components side by side and that may work better.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #20 of 355
Good point, the Niimbus US4+ is actually quite similar to the Aries in a lot of ways. If forced to point out differences, I'd call the Aries more focused on leading edges of transients, with faster decay and thus perhaps even more perceived detail retrieval, or more immediacy if that terms makes more sense. Meanwhile the US4+ digs a little deeper down low, producing a greater sense of dynamic impact and scale. Niimbus has a richer tonality, Aries gives more sparkle and air up top. It's just a slightly different focus. Obviously the SparkoS amp is far less expensive, which is a big benefit. The US4+ is better at driving tough loads like Susvara and Abyss though, so I'd definitely choose it when building a system around one of those headphones. Meanwhile both do a superb job with IEMs, so it's a tie in that regard. Ultimately the tonality difference, as mild as it may be, is the biggest differentiator between the two.

Bottom line - I'd call the US4+ the "better" amp for my preferences more often than not. But the margins are not huge. SparkoS Aries offers much of the performance of the mighty Niimbus amp for a drastically lower price.

Enjoy, and let us know your thoughts once you get it all set up!

It does well enough with Susvara and HE6-SE etc. Perhaps not completely ideal but still very, very good. As in, only a handful of potent amps out there like Niimbus, Formula S, or speaker amps would get better results. Meanwhile more "reasonable" planars like LCD-3 or LCD-4, HE-1000, Empyrean, Kennerton Thekk, all do extremely well with the Aries.

Hey john, that's reassuring as i have LCD3 LCDxc and some LCD4s on the way. And am trying to pick up some sennheiser hd820s for a good price. I didnt expect the sparko would have any problems with those. I've got some excellent shure and sennheiser IEMs but i cant see myself using them on the sparko. They are great with my A&K SP1000M though.

I must admit I'm excited. My burson conductor 3x ref is absolutely unbelievable. The idea that the sparko could be better is mind blowing. I've shelled out for a hugo qutest so that should be a great combo. It might be time to try roon on my pc too.

Ive also got some sparko pro SS2590 op amps coming to try in my burson as well as some burson V6 classic opamps. It's currently running the V6 vivids.

So Burson advised me to only change the LP stage and leave the V6 vivids in the IV stage. Lachlan at passion for sound said the same thing in one of his youtube reviews of the burson soloist i think.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

A number of people have wanted the sparko pro for their burson but couldnt get them to fit and settled for their standard op amp which lachlan from passion for sound said was the best op amp hes heard. Ive come up with some solutions that should work. I'm 99.9% sure ive got a solution to make them fit. Even if it involves soldering but i don't think it will come to that. I started a thread on rolling op amps in bursons here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/spa...opamps-into-burson-gear.947874/#post-15992257
Where i outline my solutions.

John, the Darrko site hasn't reviewed any of bursons new releases have they? Any reason why?

Cheers sam

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 355
I pitched a potential review for the new Burson stuff to John Darko, and he wasn't interested at the time. Not sure if that was purely based on having an already packed schedule, or if there's more to it.

I will say I know some people who are disappointed with the direction Burson has gone - they seem to have abandoned their prior "old school" philosophy of discrete designs, beefy linear power supplies, massively overbuild chassis, etc, and embraced a more high-tech approach. Not saying it's bad or good, and certainly not ascribing that to Darko as I don't know his specific motivations. But it's just an idea.

I personally like what I heard from my limited time with the newer Burson stuff. But I don't have enough experience to make any other meaningful comments.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 355
I pitched a potential review for the new Burson stuff to John Darko, and he wasn't interested at the time. Not sure if that was purely based on having an already packed schedule, or if there's more to it.

I will say I know some people who are disappointed with the direction Burson has gone - they seem to have abandoned their prior "old school" philosophy of discrete designs, beefy linear power supplies, massively overbuild chassis, etc, and embraced a more high-tech approach. Not saying it's bad or good, and certainly not ascribing that to Darko as I don't know his specific motivations. But it's just an idea.

I personally like what I heard from my limited time with the newer Burson stuff. But I don't have enough experience to make any other meaningful comments.

Well i love everything about my burson conductor 3x ref.except the manual could be better, L + R labels on the back a few more inputs for multiple sources. Thats minor though.

But I'll have a sparkos Aries soon to compare the more traditional approach. I think the burson new power supply technology is the real deal. As far as i can tell. And the chassis is still overbuilt and a clever design.

And it sounds unbelievable as a DAC headamp and preamp. It beat all my existing equipment. As its multi function and does everything well it is excellent value.

Anyway there are plenty of reviews out there. I was thinking though as i was reading your reviews the soloist fits with your group of 4. And the conductor series from the bare bones $1044 performance up to the.balanced dual dac top op amp model at $2144 is looking for someone to test them all as a group. Of what 4 units. And it would be great to see a comparison of the soloist/composer 2 box with the conductor 1 box solutions

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #23 of 355
My point about Burson is seen by comparing the old HA-160 to the new Soloist 3X. Both are primarily headphone amps, lacking integrated DAC functionality.

With their sizing not drastically different, HA-160 weighed in at 6KG while Soloist 3X is 3KG. The old model used a custom stepped attenuator for volume control whilst the new model has a dedicated IC (the Muses chip) for that. And on and on it goes.

Not saying the new one isn't superior (I'm positive it is!) but rather that when you build a company on a set of principles and then slowly move away from those ideas, you may lose interest from certain customers. That's all I meant by that.

In any case, the Aries is not particularly heavy either, but manages superb performance using a combination of old-and-new-school design techniques. Along with Violectric/Niimbus, they are the only brand I know using a reed relay volume control system. Based on that small sample size of 3 (Niimbus US4+, Violectric V590 Pro, and now the Sparkos Aries) I'd say the reed relay solution is the best out there. Accuracy, transparency, range of control, channel matching... it's got it all.

Nov 29, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 355
Hey John I didn't mean to give you a hard time about Burson. it's interesting how people have biases about technology. For me usually, the proof is in the listening. But I must admit I think MQA is a scam and I've bagged Class D forever as a hifi option, till the Hypex platform came out. And now Marantz and NAD are using it.

I've got a Sparkos Aries in transit and a Chord Qutest in transit to go with it. I'm excited :) I'll definitely compare them to the Burson. I've got some Sparko Pro opamps coming to to try in the Burson.

Cheers
Sam

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 355
I want to finally share some impressions on the Sparkos Labs Aries, having had it now for a week. This is not a review with technical details and specs, but a set of brief and somewhat fragmented subjective impressions. I am running my Aries with a Hugo 2 via Kimber Kable Topgun All Clear RCA cables and powered by an Audiofilia mains cable. A word of context: I’ve been looking for several months now for a TOTL desktop amp that would pair nicely with my Hugo 2. On its own, the Hugo 2 is an exceptional device, both technically and musically. But on some headphones, especially the ZMF Verité Closed, I feel the Hugo 2 could benefit from a more wide-reaching amp. I had considered options from SPL, PassLabs, Violectric as well considering the Feliks Euforia on the tube side. I also demo'd the Hugo TT2 and MScaler, along with various other very high end amps (4k plus). In the end, I went for the Sparkos based primarily on the accounts of the amp as highly resolving, transparent, and quick (especially @project86 review here). It is also worth noting that the Aries is the SS amp of choice for @zach915m (see here), which for me is recommendation enough.

P1080056.JPG

Some impressions:

1. The build is flawless. The amp has a substantial clout to it, though is not as overwhelming (it fits on my desk without issue). It reminds me a bit of old school VCR player in terms of dimensions. The touchscreen panel is self-explanatory and unfussy. Would I like to see a VU meter, RME style? Yes, of course, though I understand it'll introduce an unwanted element of noise, so is best left as it is.

2. As has been mentioned in nearly every review, the 64-step volume control is a pleasure to use, both in terms of its precision but also in terms of its tactility. I have not felt the need to move beyond the lowest gain yet (including the 300-ohm Verité Closed). The amp is also pitch black silent and I’m able to run sensitive IEMs from it without any issue.

P1080049.JPG

3. To the meat: this is by far the cleanest, most resolving, transparent, revealing, and ultimately rewarding amps I've ever heard. Getting to know the amp this week has been a pure pleasure. Let me begin with my Audio-Technicas before discussing the Verité Closed. On my Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT, I hear a superb sense of speed, with pinpoint imaging, and peerless detail retrieval. This is technically an amazing amplifier, but what surprised me is how musical it also is. In comparison to the Hugo 2 alone, the addition of the Aries adds a more robust sense of body in the AWKT, which can sound a little thin (though by no means lacking in quality in the bass). I wanted to see how the Aries would handle some music with contemporary production - i.e., basically lacking a wide dynamic range, with an abundance of bass, and essentially not very "audiophile" friendly. It's too easy to feed it Fleetwood Mac or Miles Davis. As a good example, I cranked up Mick Gordon's soundtrack to "Doom" to try it out. The Aries does not mess around; it is an unforgiving amp in that it won't smooth over any blemishes, yet the fact that it's hyper-clean means that it doesn't crumble under extremely aggressive, frantic, and badly produced music. The "Doom" OST sounds momentous on my AWKT - sub-bass slam is visceral, soundstage is broad, and separation of instruments is coherent and clear. But above all: the speed is breath-taking. And addictive. I never have the sense that the Aries struggles with the reproduction of complex music. It is able to convey multiple lines and passages of dense chaotic music in an effortless, almost nonchalant way. On the Hugo 2 alone without the Aries, it's not as though one is suddenly returned to a muffled picture, far from it; but the level of clarity, resolve, and detail retrieval - to say nothing of the sheer sense of "body" - is by no means as compelling as with the addition of the Aries.

P1080065.jpg

4. Similar results were found with the Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS, WP900, and even the humble (but brilliant) MSR7B. The AWKT is already an extremely resolving headphone - best in class - so there is a risk of them being overly revealing on the Hugo 2/Aries set-up. But the AWAS are slightly more laid back, and they reveal themselves in a different way with the Aries. With the Aries, the AWAS is rendered a more technically and nuanced pair of headphones. Jaco Pastorius' live album "Truth, Liberty, and Soul" on the AWAS sounds phenomenal - the bass is resonant and articulate, the saxophone is fluid and present without being honky, drums - especially bass drum - are thumping without being bloated. The WP900 also benefits from this treatment. The WP900 are an unashamedly v-shaped pair of headphones tuned for fun, fun, and more fun. I love them, but they're not known for their mids, especially in comparison to the excellent mids on the AWAS and AWKT. On the Aries, the presentation of the WP900 is tighter with far superior separation and imaging than on the Hugo 2 alone; switching back and forth, I feel as though the there is an element of graininess in the Hugo 2 that the Aries dispenses with. Vocal delivery on Bowie's "Blackstar" with the WP900 is powerful; the level of clarity generated against the black ground of the Aries seems to allow both marco and micro details come to the foreground in such a way that the amp "betters" a mid-tier headphone.

P1080068.JPG

5. The timbre of the Aries is worth remarking on. When I say this amp is both revealing and musical, I mean it has a very engaging natural timbre that conveys the nuance and detail of each and every instrument. I'm hearing snare strikes, tom-tom drums, and bass drums in a way I've not heard before. I must emphasize: drums sound phenomenal on this amp (try any of the early Rush albums for a good example; the snare on Metallica's black album also sounds nutty good). I'm also hearing textures in guitars - especially rock and metal - that is detailed and lifelike (AC/DC - amazing). This is by no means a dry amp, though. While I am basically a detail junkie and tend to veer away from "lush" musical presentations, I loathe un-engaging sound signatures. Ultimately, I want to be affected by music. All of the THX amps did nothing for me, the same for SPL. The Aries is not a coloured amp, but it is "tuned" in such a way so as to combine a very rich musical presentation with technical excellence in a way I've not heard with other amps. For the matter, the Aries is also not an aggressive or overly harsh amp. The AWKT is a bright pair of headphones and you would think that running them through the Aries would make them brighter if not bordering on sibilant, but in fact it generates a balanced frequency response which gives depth to the low end, adds texture to the mid-range, and gives a smoothness to the top end without rolling it off.

6. To the main reason for buying this amp, the Verité Closed. As mentioned, I very much enjoy the Verité Closed on the Hugo 2, but I don't find this pairing does the headphones justice. I have always felt there is something slightly lacking in this pairing that I couldn't quite pinpoint: could be a sense of scale, could be a sense of conviction more generally. When I run my Verité Closed through the Aries via my Hugo 2 one word comes to mind: epic. I just ran an A/B between the Hugo 2 and the Hugo 2+Aries listening to a SACD recording of the "Blade Runner" OST. At 1.05, there is a well-known sub-bass rumble that appears; the textures and sub-textures, the natural decay of sub-bass that are reproduced with the Aries, together with the sense of sheer scale, is outstanding. Again, it is by no means lacking on the Hugo 2 on its own; but there is no competition with the Aries. Here's what the Aries does to the Verité Closed: gives them an amazing sense of life. It injects a sense of speed, clarity, and dynamism that reveals what the Verité Closed are capable of. This is manifest across genres: Opeth is pounding but precise; Stevie Ray Vaughan is tight but not constricted; complex symphonic music (Mahler, Sibelius, Bruckner) has never sounded so good (the sense of soundstage with the Verité Closed and Aries is something to behold). I've been listening to this set-up for a week now and my only complaint is that I wish I had more time with it. The Aries is at ease with intimate solo material (Springsteen's "Nebraska) as it is the pomp and circumstance of prog rock (Pink Floyd, etc). Give it "classical" audiophile material - Alan Parsons, Supertramp, Steely Dan, etc - and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better set-up for the Verité Closed without spending considerably more money. I ran this set-up on my "reference" playlist, randomly going through Stevie Nicks, The Cars, Tears For Fears, Kate Bush, Santana, and so forth, and what I heard was an immense pleasure to listen to, genuinely addictive: exquisite detail, a soundstage not limited by the Verité being closed headphones, a sense of dynamism and punch, engaging timbre, and an awesome - and impressive - technical performance without being analytical.

7. I have not tried multiple sources with the Aries, but am keen to do so. I did connect my Lotoo Paw 6000 via the front 3.5mm input and was pleasantly surprised to see what this DAP is capable of (though I will say it also sounds truly excellent when paired with a BX2 Plus). The same is true of the Mojo, which also paired very nicely with the Aries. The addition of the front connection on the Aries is welcome in this respect for A/B'ing between sources.

P1080076.JPG

In sum, the SparkoS Labs Aries is an amazing amp. I very much feel it deserves much wider recognition, not only for ZMF owners but also for those seeking a transparent and resolving but also musical and deeply engaging solid-state headphone amp. I'm gratified it's in my collection and definitely can't see myself parting with it at any point. Cheers.

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 355
Not saying the new one isn't superior (I'm positive it is!) but rather that when you build a company on a set of principles and then slowly move away from those ideas, you may lose interest from certain customers. That's all I meant by that.

In any case, the Aries is not particularly heavy either, but manages superb performance using a combination of old-and-new-school design techniques. Along with Violectric/Niimbus, they are the only brand I know using a reed relay volume control system. Based on that small sample size of 3 (Niimbus US4+, Violectric V590 Pro, and now the Sparkos Aries) I'd say the reed relay solution is the best out there. Accuracy, transparency, range of control, channel matching... it's got it all.

I can definitely agree with the perception. For a while, I had no interest in trying their newer stuff as a prior owner of the original Soloist and it's tank-like construction, at least not at my own cost. I honestly thought they had been bought out by external investors, because it didn't really "feel" like the same company at all, and some of the marketing claims felt (and still feel) a little gimmicky. A while back, Burson reached out to me asking if I would want to review the Playmate, and I decided to give it a shot. I was impressed enough to buy a used Fun, and then the Soloist 3X new as soon as it came out. It's hard to shake that perception, but I'm over it now.

I view it like the Cavalli/Monoprice collabs; they don't quite reach the level of their predecessors (i.e. Liquid Crimson/Liquid Gold), but they represent a much better value for the money. The Soloist 3X is the "Goldilocks" sweetspot for me in terms of price, size, soundquality, etc. The price also undercuts most competing amps (aside from the new-ish Liquid Gold X). I'd love to try something like the Aries, but the price is just too much out of my personal comfort zone. I'm a big fan of Andrew's work from using the SparkoS op-amps in the Burson equipment. I'm planning to eventually buy two pairs of the dual-channel SparkoS for the Soloist after I used the singles in the Fun.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 355
I can definitely agree with the perception. For a while, I had no interest in trying their newer stuff as a prior owner of the original Soloist and it's tank-like construction, at least not at my own cost. I honestly thought they had been bought out by external investors, because it didn't really "feel" like the same company at all, and some of the marketing claims felt (and still feel) a little gimmicky. A while back, Burson reached out to me asking if I would want to review the Playmate, and I decided to give it a shot. I was impressed enough to buy a used Fun, and then the Soloist 3X new as soon as it came out. It's hard to shake that perception, but I'm over it now.

I view it like the Cavalli/Monoprice collabs; they don't quite reach the level of their predecessors (i.e. Liquid Crimson/Liquid Gold), but they represent a much better value for the money. The Soloist 3X is the "Goldilocks" sweetspot for me in terms of price, size, soundquality, etc. The price also undercuts most competing amps (aside from the new-ish Liquid Gold X). I'd love to try something like the Aries, but the price is just too much out of my personal comfort zone. I'm a big fan of Andrew's work from using the SparkoS op-amps in the Burson equipment. I'm planning to eventually buy two pairs of the dual-channel SparkoS for the Soloist after I used the singles in the Fun.

I don't know if we can assume that the Conductor 3x ref and soloist 3x performance are close to equal as head amps, my guess is they are. Now I have my sparko Aries I can do some A/B comparisons to see what I think. The Aries is exceptional though. You are right, not cheap either. But with a Qutest DAC and LCD4 headphones the threesome are a match made in heaven. That's using a marantz CD80 as the transport.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #29 of 355

Oh and as I'm using it on my desktop, the fact that the Chord Qutest and Sparko Aries don't have remotes, Bluetooth or wifi is a non issue. It actually feels like I'm getting great value and only spending money on exactly what I need.

The same thing means i'd never buy that combo for my main system, and the remote control and connectivity of the Conductor 3X ref makes it great for my home main system

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #30 of 355
I don't know if we can assume that the Conductor 3x ref and soloist 3x performance are close to equal as head amps, my guess is they are. Now I have my sparko Aries I can do some A/B comparisons to see what I think. The Aries is exceptional though. You are right, not cheap either. But with a Qutest DAC and LCD4 headphones the threesome are a match made in heaven. That's using a marantz CD80 as the transport.
Glad you got it. Great pairing with Hugo 2, too. What are your impressions of the Aries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back