SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #166 of 356
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #167 of 356
Why not use the MZ2 as a pre-amp to your Aries to see how it sounds first? Perhaps the combo of a tube/SS might sound better than straight up tubes?
I actually don't think I can do this, as the Aries I have is the "base" unit with no RCA out mode...unless I double amp. In any case, there's no issue whatsoever with the sound. The Aries remains top dog: I spent last night comparing the MZ2 and the Aries; the Aries wins on being the more resolving amp with better detail retrieval. The MZ2 is quite unique, however, in that it combines SS speed with a linear tube "warmth" (though I really wouldn't describe the MZ2 as warm in any sense; its timbre is not dissimilar to the Aries and is about as remote from tube "lush" as one can be). My sense is that MZ3 (which is quite a bit more expensive than the Aries) would combine the best of both worlds.

For me, the only reason to sell and keep one is pragmatics: I don't have the luxury of having a large desk like @Benno1988 and I find the MZ2 stacked on the Aries slightly disagreeable.

20210729_131546.jpg

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #169 of 356
I actually don't think I can do this, as the Aries I have is the "base" unit with no RCA out mode...unless I double amp. In any case, there's no issue whatsoever with the sound. The Aries remains top dog: I spent last night comparing the MZ2 and the Aries; the Aries wins on being the more resolving amp with better detail retrieval. The MZ2 is quite unique, however, in that it combines SS speed with a linear tube "warmth" (though I really wouldn't describe the MZ2 as warm in any sense; its timbre is not dissimilar to the Aries and is about as remote from tube "lush" as one can be). My sense is that MZ3 (which is quite a bit more expensive than the Aries) would combine the best of both worlds.

For me, the only reason to sell and keep one is pragmatics: I don't have the luxury of having a large desk like @Benno1988 and I find the MZ2 stacked on the Aries slightly disagreeable.

20210729_131546.jpg
I fondly remember the original Micro Zotl about 18 years ago but not as a headphone amplifier it driving a pair Klipsh RF-7 floor standing speakers both with dual 10 inch woffers. This 1 watt per channel intregrate was a fantastic match to those speakers fabulous damping factor that drove them loud with eye popping bass slam laying waist to a 300 B amplifier I’ve forgotten the brand someone had including some solid state amplifier ,This flea power Berning amplifier was really impressive mated to the Klipsh.

Last November I did listen to the new Micro OTL with my first ever headphone Lawton modded Fostex TH900 instead choosing a AudioByte Vox with built in headphone section. I found the new version of the Micro Zotl underwhelming with the Lawton Fostex I thought it was just a pairing issue .

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #170 of 356
I fondly remember the original Micro Zotl about 18 years ago but not as a headphone amplifier it driving a pair Klipsh RF-7 floor standing speakers both with dual 10 inch woffers. This 1 watt per channel intregrate was a fantastic match to those speakers fabulous damping factor that drove them loud with eye popping bass slam laying waist to a 300 B amplifier I’ve forgotten the brand someone had including some solid state amplifier ,This flea power Berning amplifier was really impressive mated to the Klipsh.

Last November I did listen to the new Micro OTL with my first ever headphone Lawton modded Fostex TH900 instead choosing a AudioByte Vox with built in headphone section. I found the new version of the Micro Zotl underwhelming with the Lawton Fostex I thought it was just a pairing issue .
Do you mean the new MZ3? That's odd it didn't pair well with the modded TH900 - I have to say, I really like the TH900 with the MZ2. It's very punchy with outstanding dynamics and the sharp treble is ever so slightly tamed. Of course, it's also excellent on the Aries, but I find the TH900 benefits from a little tube action.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #171 of 356
Do you mean the new MZ3? That's odd it didn't pair well with the modded TH900 - I have to say, I really like the TH900 with the MZ2. It's very punchy with outstanding dynamics and the sharp treble is ever so slightly tamed. Of course, it's also excellent on the Aries, but I find the TH900 benefits from a little tube action.
Yes it was MZ2 though it could of been a number of things but I didn’t find it too involving .

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #173 of 356
The dac was the Aqua La Scala paired up with the 432 Evo Aeon server I just took delivery of . I have something else to mention I’d like to PM you if that’s cool .

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #175 of 356
I am demo'ing the Aries at the moment. I'm currently feeding it with a Hugo 2 DAC because my main reference DAC (Yggdrasil) is away for repair and upgrade. As for headphones, all I've tried so far is my trusted and honest HD600 but my initial impressions are very good indeed. To sum it up briefly, Hugo 2 + Aries + HD600 sounds more involving/immersive than Hugo 2 + HD600 which seems a bit flat by comparison.

I have a question regarding the Aries gain/volume structure. I think understand how the low, medium and high gain works. The vol control is a 64-position stepped attenuator, so changing from low to medium gain removes 10 steps from the bottom and adds them onto the top above -0dB, and changing from medium to high gain removes another 10 steps from the bottom and adds them to the top above -0dB.

Low gain: min vol. = 53dB / max vol. +10dB
Medium gain: min vol. = -43dB / max vol. +20dB
High gain: min vol. = -33dB / max vol. +30dB.

The -0dB reference stays the same in all gains. What I'd like to know is if -0dB = unity (1:1) gain? i.e. whatever level of signal input into the amplifier is output to the headphones without being attenuated or boosted? Or is the -0dB position just an arbitrary value?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #176 of 356
Just wanted to report on my experience with the Sparkos Labs Aries (base model). I can say that the Aries is considerably better than anything else I have heard. The "black" background devoid of subliminal but annoying noise, the sheer clarity and transparency, the sense of ease and naturalness and lack of any sense of strain or overbrightness or edginess regardless of level - it's all there. In comparison, the tube designs (and I have two of them, the Moon Audio IHA-1 and Woo Audio WA6-SE) are significantly colored and smeared although it is certainly a pleasant euphonic effect. Congratulations to Sparkos Labs on a truly great design.

The other equipment I am currently using are HiFiMan HE1000se and Stefan Audio Arts modified HD-800S headphones, a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (w. A2 and Unison), Galaxy S4 w. UAPP audiophile android USB app, and Shunyata Omega USB cable.

Only one negative: I listen mostly to classical and jazz, but especially on pop songs I am bothered by the sheer revealingness of the Aries having a downside - in having such a low noise and distortion level minute recording and mixing problems become painfully obvious - the most annoying being gravelly distortion on passages with very powerful bass. The Aries makes it obvious that somewhere through the multiple amplifier, mixer, buffer and EQ stages the recording has undergone, occasional overload distortion has crept in that becomes painfully apparent.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #177 of 356
I am demo'ing the Aries at the moment. I'm currently feeding it with a Hugo 2 DAC because my main reference DAC (Yggdrasil) is away for repair and upgrade. As for headphones, all I've tried so far is my trusted and honest HD600 but my initial impressions are very good indeed. To sum it up briefly, Hugo 2 + Aries + HD600 sounds more involving/immersive than Hugo 2 + HD600 which seems a bit flat by comparison.

I have a question regarding the Aries gain/volume structure. I think understand how the low, medium and high gain works. The vol control is a 64-position stepped attenuator, so changing from low to medium gain removes 10 steps from the bottom and adds them onto the top above -0dB, and changing from medium to high gain removes another 10 steps from the bottom and adds them to the top above -0dB.

The -0dB reference stays the same in all gains. What I'd like to know is if -0dB = unity (1:1) gain? i.e. whatever level of signal input into the amplifier is output to the headphones without being attenuated or boosted? Or is the -0dB position just an arbitrary value?

I can't find any explanation of this. The only thing that would make sense is that 0 dB is unity voltage gain relative to the input.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #178 of 356
Has anyone tried the SparkoS Aries with Abyss 1266 Phi TC ?
Any chance of it being able to drive the 1266 ?
I am now using Abyss 1266 Phi TC with this Sparkos Amplifier.
And I am very happy to report that its driving the 1266 beautifully & with full authority

At Low Gain , I am around +2dB, which means I have 12dB headroom. (approx 78-80db loudness, which is more than plenty for me)
Subsequently @Medium gain & High Gain - I have 22dB & 32dB headroom to utilise which is more than plenty :)

I prefer it and run it at low gain at that volume.
Very happy that it can drive the 1266 :)

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #179 of 356

Could you speak to the mids quality/timbre with the Aries especially with the 600s? I'm looking for a new amp to upgrade from my Bottlehead Crack for my 600s. I was thinking either the Bottlehead Mainline or the Aries. My biggest fear is that the Aries is a super detail monster but lacks in the engagement/emotional factor. I've heard the Mainline is a little better in that department whilst not lagging a lot behind the Aries in resolution/detail.

Sonnet Morpheus/Aries pairing for the last few days. I'll give impressions soon (currently waiting on various coax/AES convertors) but so far the pairing has impressed me a great deal and I can see why it's the pairing of choice for Zach from ZMF,

I got the Morpheus myself so this seems like a great pairing. I see people pairing this amp with the Qutest in this thread and I feel like that would be too analytical and bright. NOS DACs even ones like the Denafrips Ares seems like it would be an excellent pairing. Trying to decide if I should splurge on the Sparkos or a Bottlehead Mainline. I do like the 'rounding' effect found in good neutral tube amps like the Pendant or as described for the Mainline. That's what's keeping me from just pulling the trigger on the Aries. How's the soundstage and timbre on it paired with the Morpheus?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back