Southern CanFEST 2009
Feb 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #31 of 243
Brought my black dragon bal. Grado GS1000's to the meet looking for an upgrade to my Rudi Stor NX33 amp . Tried many amps , IMO to my ears & wallet , the Apache is the best match for my Grado's .
Also tried a lot of headphones and except for maybe the Stax O2's I still prefer the Grado's .
Must say it was a shocking experience listening to Ray's Predator , a must do if your thinking portable.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 243
So those were SA5K's instead of HD800. Yes the 800 looks like the 5K and I used to own them. Too bright and I am afraid the 800 will be too with the silver plated copper cables that they supposedly come with. What is up with all these in your face bright cans?

Good to know about the Blue Dragon cables and the HD650. A 15' pair may be in my future. I can see a lot of recable biz if the HD800's ship with silver plated copper cables.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #36 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions odigg. Out of curiosity, do you know if the 007 you listened to was an mk1 or mk2?

Sorry if I'm butting in....the 007's were mk2's, they belonged to DannyB and the Lambda Pro's were mine, they have served me well for over 25 years and I doubt I'll ever part with them. I also have the 007 mk2's but didn't have the balls to bring them since I just got them recently.
First impression of the 007's I had was that they are 'dark' as compared to the Lambda Pro's, but after listening a while (at home, not at the meet) the 007's are very "musical", for lack of a better word, and the sound is just right. IMHO people don't give the 007's enough listening time to adjust to their sound and just go with their initial impressions.
From what I could tell the Jade's sounded good, more like the Lambda Pro's, but I couldn't get the pads to properly seal at the lower rear of my ear, and it was a crowded and noisy environment to audition open back cans.

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 243
Quote:

Thanks ejmcgee. Did you get a chance to compare the mk2 to the mk1?

No, never heard the mk1. I've wanted the 'Omegas' ever since they were introduced and finally was able to purchase the mk2's last year. From reading here on Head-Fi the mk1's are better than the mk2's. I thought the mk2's would be an improvement. Since you have both, what's your impression?

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #39 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmcgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, never heard the mk1. I've wanted the 'Omegas' ever since they were introduced and finally was able to purchase the mk2's last year. From reading here on Head-Fi the mk1's are better than the mk2's. I thought the mk2's would be an improvement. Since you have both, what's your impression?

I think both are excellent headphones. So far, though, I prefer the mk1. They just seem more neutral and effortless to me; they disappear. But I do think the mk2 is fun with rock and is taking something of an unfair beating on these boards. One reason I am holding on to my mk2 is that I want to try it with a powerful solid state amp to see if maybe the extra kick in the pants helps out with the midbass hump.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 243
Some brief positive impressions:

Was greeted at the entrance by the always-gentlemanly Alwayswantmore. Probably got to spend more time with his gear than anywhere else. I was particularly surprised by how much I liked his AKG-K702! I don't know if this was due to the ALO recable, the RWA DAC/AMP, the choice of music (none of which I was familiar with), or some combination. But this is the first time I have EVER enjoyed listening to a K70x, which have always struck me as too bright for my taste. As always, a really nice guy with really nice gear. Kudos!

Stopped by briefly at the Moon Audio station and eventually got to try out the headphones I was most interested in trying: the Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D7000. Surprisingly, I actually preferred the D5000, which was more forward and less harsh. The D7000 had more sense of air and a much wider and deeper soundstage, but the highs, like my usual experience with K701's, seemed too bright for me. Didn't get much time with any piece of music, but this was evident with someone's copy of Hotel California. Didn't get to try with any of my own gear or music since it was just too damn crowded.

Got to try out the EF1 at the HeadDirect table, and was pleased with it. Again, too crowded to do any adequate comparison with other gear or my own music, sadly, but this amp left a good impression.

Lastly, I got to interact briefly with Ray Samuels, who was very friendly and helpful. I'd met him in NYC 2 years ago, and bought my first amp from him a bit before that, but hadn't really gotten to chat with him previously, and was pleased with how friendly he really is in person. Aside from that, I finally got to try out the Predator (with some music in his iTunes collection that I was actually familiar with), and was both pleased and disappointed. With the Grados he had hooked up, the Predator was amazing to listen to! Wonderful sound from such a tiny amp! However, it's clear that his amps have poor synergy with Future Sonics IEMs, since with my Atrio it sounded about the same as the Tomahawk does with the same earphones: too much bass and not enough depth. I'm glad I got to try with his Grados, though, as the synergy there was stellar! Amazing little amp!

Aside from these things, I have to admit having kind of a lousy time at this meet. Getting a $350+ speeding ticket on my way there was an especially bad start to the morning, but it didn't help that the room was simply too small and too crowded. There was a lot of amazing gear there, but I simply felt rushed and claustrophobic everywhere I went. I guess I'd been hoping for something more laid-back and low-key like the Chapel Hill meet last year, but with so many pros packed in to such a tiny space, it really wasn't the right place for fans with more budget-minded gear. I tried setting up some gear, but the few people who glanced at it either showed disinterest (including, amazingly, the ones who had previously expressed interest), or outright disdain (including one person who seemed to drop my beyers in disgust after seeing that they weren't top of the line). I don't know if it was simply my claustrophobia and early morning frustration talking, but this whole experience left me feeling very unwelcome. Perhaps it would have helped to have a second room, like the meet I'd attended in NYC, or perhaps I simply am out of place down here with budget gear. Either way, a larger room was definitely warranted for this meet.

Special thanks again to Ray Samuels, Head Direct, Moon Audio, and especially Alwayswantmore for their kindness and fantastic gear! Hope everyone else had a better experience!

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #41 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejmcgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
originally posted by manaox2
"Jesus, I look huge in one of those pic. I don't believe I look very much like that normally.... seriously.
confused_face(1).gif
"

Yeah dude, that pic did make you look a bit......huge.....
icon10.gif

Glad you liked the Stax'en.
Hope you're enjoying your Grado's.

Oh....and I hope you don't have/upload any pics of me (I'm the guy who was showing you the Stax's).....for fear I might look.....huge!

Thanks for showing me the STAX. The Lambda Pro was my favorite pair of headphones that I hadn't heard before.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #43 of 243
Packgrog - Where were you sitting? Were you at the right back corner (compared to the entrance) of the room? That's to the right of the Grado table.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #44 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Packgrog - Where were you sitting? Were you at the right back corner (compared to the entrance) of the room? That's to the right of the Grado table.

I heard Kent (Alwayswantmore) comment you were there. Sorry to hear about the horrendous ticket, I seemed to have missed you. I wasn't looking for portable stuff this time around and got there a little after 10. I completely agree that this time around it was a vendors show with only a small amount of crowded room for anyone who brought there own gear. The pics really show how crowded it was in there (haha).

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #45 of 243
Quote:

I think both are excellent headphones. So far, though, I prefer the mk1. They just seem more neutral and effortless to me; they disappear. But I do think the mk2 is fun with rock and is taking something of an unfair beating on these boards. One reason I am holding on to my mk2 is that I want to try it with a powerful solid state amp to see if maybe the extra kick in the pants helps out with the midbass hump.

Thanks! I feel better.
o2smile.gif

You don' think the KGSS (what's the DX?) is a powerful enough SS amp? What's your impression of the KGSS vs. STAX 007tII?
I don't have a dedicated e'stat amp (yet), I'm listening thru the STAX SRD7 Pro xfmr with a Chinese knock-off Dynaco ST70 amp. Had my Hafler DH220 w/DIY regulated driver PSU hooked up originally, but I think the tube amp sounds better. I'll have to try my Hafler 9505 and see (hear) how that sounds. Hope I don't smell/see any smoke!

Packgrog Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Wow! How fast were you going anyway? Nevermind, it's none of my business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back