Southern California Meet: August 2006
Jun 29, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #121 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I’ll ask Craig tomorrow, but I suspect this is a HD25 in a HD300 labeled chassis.

Oh, how silly of me to think it was an HD 300 when it says HD 300.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #122 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Oh, how silly of me to think it was an HD 300 when it says HD 300.
tongue.gif

Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings
icon10.gif

luke41.jpg

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #123 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Is it easy to get cheap transportation from LAX to the venue? Or any way to hook a ride from someone who lives in LA? I want to attend another big meet and am willing to fly out!
biggrin.gif

There is a bus that runs from LAX to the Westlake Village Hyatt. It runs twice a day I believe and is pretty reasonable. Someone can pick you up at the Hyatt and bring you to the meet (5 minutes away). If no one volunteers, PM me, I'll pick you up at the Hyatt.

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #124 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I don't remember the HD 25 being there. Wasn't it the HD 300?

[In Homer Simpson’s Voice]: “Oh Lisa, you and your imagination...”
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Well, that picture is a very interesting piece of convincing evidence.
biggrin.gif

Don't judge an amp by it's label...
tongue.gif

But the HD300 only drives high impedance cans like the HD650s.

I believe the headphones jacked in the picture are mod Grado RS-1s. Did you listen to this amp? If so, what were the headphones?

I’ll ask Craig tomorrow, but I suspect this is a HD25 in a HD300 labeled chassis.

Hi 909 and Borat:

If I recall correctly, the EC amp in question was brought to the January So Cal meet by fellow Head-Fi member NU62, and it is neither an HD-300 or HD-25 but rather a one of a kind creation by Craig Uthus that NU62 termed an HD-12. In post #20 of the thread Tentative So. Cal meet: January 15, 2006? , I wrote a speculation to NU62 that the HD-12 designation that he and Craig came up with for his amp implied that it had been designed “to maximize output impedances for low impedance headphones”. He replied in post #21 with the following info:

“You are exactly right - the HD12 started life as HD300 serial #14 for use with my Senn HD650s w/Equinox cable. I have recently acquired AKG 701s and Grado HF-1s (which will be fully modded by Larry at Headphile) and wanted the capability to drive these phones so I asked Craig to change the HD300 to a HD25. However, he went one step further and created the HD12, which he believes is a substantial improvement over the HD25. According to Craig the mods include "circuit topology like the Si2A3 with direct coupled driver to output tube." (direct quote from Craig in email to me) Also he upgraded the transformer from the HD25 design. Still looks just like an HD300, w/same tubes, but more dynamic, clearer and more detailed and big soundstage.”

Anyway, I sure hope NU62 can make it to the meet in Westlake Village this August. As I was unable to attend the last So Cal meet, it would really be nice to have a second chance to hear this one of a kind creation from Craig.

Best Regards,
Nick

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #125 of 322
Nick, you are right. This is what Craig wrote me two days ago...

"Laurie's amp is technically a HD12. He had a HD300 and I converted it to a HD25 with different output transformers. I had some Moth Silk Worm transformers made by a different vendor with M2 steel. They have a lower turns ratio so the amplifier is matched to 12 ohm loads (Cicada) instead of 25 ohm loads Grado. It does sound different than the HD25, which is better?"

icon10.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #126 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Nick, you are right. This is what Craig wrote me two days ago...

"Laurie's amp is technically a HD12. He had a HD300 and I converted it to a HD25 with different output transformers. I had some Moth Silk Worm transformers made by a different vendor with M2 steel. They have a lower turns ratio so the amplifier is matched to 12 ohm loads (Cicada) instead of 25 ohm loads Grado. It does sound different than the HD25, which is better?"

icon10.gif

ho....
what a shame... I've been dying to hear the HD25 for a while now (and hunt one down)....
still, it would be interesting to hear this thing on the HF1..... sounds like an interesting creation.
so from what i understand, he'll be brining the hybrid right?
also: i won't be bringing the HD595 to the meet. and the dac is now modded.

Jul 2, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #128 of 322
If anybody has room to let me crash on a couch (or the floor even) on the Friday night before the meet, please PM me. I'd like to attend this meet (definitely doing a roadtrip now) but won't have enough extra money to cover for a motel (unless it's really cheap, but I doubt those exist in Cali).

I'll bring my cables, amps, all three high-end headphones, the ES5, U2, PCDP, and Arcam if someone can host me for the Friday night.

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #130 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Mike from UE said either Jerry would be there or He (Mike) and the audiologist (Noy) would stop by (let's hope for all of them
wink.gif
)

I'm not sure if you're able to answer this, but is the audiologist going to be there both days? I'm seriously considering buying UE-10's around the time that the meet will take place, so if there's an audiologist on site while I'm there, my wallet is going to commit suicide.

On a related note, would you happen to know if there's a CitiBank close by?
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #131 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I'm not sure if you're able to answer this, but is the audiologist going to be there both days? I'm seriously considering buying UE-10's around the time that the meet will take place, so if there's an audiologist on site while I'm there, my wallet is going to commit suicide.

On a related note, would you happen to know if there's a CitiBank close by?
tongue.gif

It's been a long time since I lived in Westlake, but there should be a Citibank about five miles from the meet on the corner of hampshire and westlake blvd, if memory serves me.

here is the zip 91362 and check locations on the citibank website.

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #134 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Looks like Ori's modded Zhaolu 2.0 DAC with discrete output stage is coming to our meet
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=1#post2229232

what he meant was that two modded Zhaolu 2.0 dacs are comming to the meet, the first will be a cs and the second will be a ad dac.

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #135 of 322
Well, my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm gonna make the drive down for this.

It's weird when you find out that a certain Head-fi'er lives like 5 blocks up the road from you. The plan is for me to bring down some of Ori's creations.

I was also wondering if there is any interest in a Hard-wired K1000 (Equinox)? Terminated with spades. Will there be a suitable amp there?

Also have a functional linear power supply for a Squeezebox3 if someone is bringing such a setup. I use it with a desktop PC so I'm not really interested in bringing that.

I'm really interested in hearing the Zana Duex from Craig. We tried to get him up for the last NorCal meet but it didn't work out for him.

Looking forward to meeting the SoCal contingent and "Thanks" to 909 for hosting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back