South Florida : Micro-Meet : Impressions
Dec 3, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Grado RS-1 :

Another good headphone. But this one is not worth $600.00 or whatever...more like $200.00
rolleyes.gif
Pretty much the best headphone in the Grado lineup...bested by the PS-1 for bass but more detailed than the PS-1. If I had to choose and if I had $1500.00 - I would get the RS-1
rolleyes.gif
The PS-1 is nowhere near worth the money people are paying for them.

Quote:

I can imagine a PS1 fitting in quite easily because of how controlled the bass response is. Yes...I think mikeg will find that a PS1 or HP1 will offer substantially better sound over the RS1 in his current setup.

Golly!!!
basshead.gif

huh?
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 51
gsferrari said:
The Gilmore V2 is strongly projected as a "gutless" amplifier by sacdlover. I tend to agree that the bass of the V2 is a bit subdued compared to some other amps that I have heard - it is still quite tight and accurate on the bass without any unnecessary emphasis. The SDS was still weaker on the bass and I am surprised how sacdlover was able to praise the bass of the Supra SDS amplifiers when the bass of the V2, which is clearly better in the bass spectrum, was found inadequate
confused.gif

The gilmore v2 you have is upgraded correct? I had a stock v2 and compared it directly to a gilmore v1 on the same identical setup for weeks. The v2 is indeed lean sounding in the bass in comparison and ultimately to lean for my tastes period. Maybe your mods helped the amp but I also owned the V2-SE with upgraded caps and it was to lean sounding to me as well. The v1 had better bass than the v2 or v2-se in my set up period. The v1 is still with me and the other two have new owners.
wink.gif

Moving on to the SDS, I have heard the 6sn7 based SDS at length three times. The bass on that amp was center of the earth deep. Furthermore, Tom Hankins, whose SDS it was I listened to, also had a gilmore v1. The same v1 that I had already determined had much better bass than the v2. I, again, could compare the amps directly, and there was no comparison. The SDS was faster, more extended and had bass slam like no other amp I had heard; atleast until the supra 6cg7 tube rectified prototype came along. Given these amps take so long to break in that would be my guess as to why you find this so. I own two mpx3's and neither of those amps is as detailed(another comment you made)as the SDS, nor as powerful in the low bass as Tom's SDS. The supra I have is tube rectified and uses 6cg7tubes. This prototype amp has a warmer and more powerful sounding midbass and warmer tonality in general vs Tom's SDS, but nowhere near the bass extension. The v1 I have had for two years now always had more powerful and dynamic bass than the v2 or v2-se and this was always instantly recognizable.

Why the differing conclusions? Using one song and a few hours listening time wont begin to let you understand the SDS, especially if its not broken in. Nor will a one time/ first time comparison with an amp thats relatively new even to you. You really should hear the SDS amp in a few months once its fully broke in. I sometimes feel you reach your conclusions to quickly based on insufficient information. You are certainly entitled to do so, but understand that listening to an amp over many months or especially years time will reveal what is only hinted at in these short auditions. I guess I am surprised you would want to question my opinion when my opinion is based on countless more hours listening, detailed comparisons with these amps in identical set ups, ongoing optimization and a broader ownership and sampling of the amps in question(v1/v2/v2-se/ ppx3-v1/ ppx3-v2/mpx3 old chassis/ mpx3 new chassis/supra /SDS).

Now remember I said surprised; not angry
mad.gif
, hurt,
frown.gif
confused,
confused.gif
offended,
eek.gif
revengful
very_evil_smiley.gif
etc. etc. I am basically answering your question of how we have conflicting opinions. Simply put, I think if you spent more time evaluating the amps in question more comprehensively your opinion would likely evolve and change. Please dont take offense because none is intended. We have differing opinions; nothing more nothing less.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
huh?
confused.gif

whats confusing? In mikeg's current setup - the glorified mids and bass on the PS1 will blend better with the imaging detail and airiness of his setup. It will be a better match than the RS-1 with his setup. The HP1/2 are very neutral and the PS-1 with its bass heft may be a better option.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 51
Guru - I really appreciate the good feelings that you reflect in the first paragraph of your response. Our mutual respect and consideration for one another, despite our occasionally substantial disagreements, IMO reflects well on both of us. This constructive tone in communications that I have experienced with so many Head-Fi members, makes Head-Fi such a special place to spend a portion of my time.

As for your differences of opinon with sacdlover, I have no idea what disagreements exist between the two of you. But, IMO, the bass characteristics of the SDS amp. are really superb. But, as for your comparison of the SDS amp's fidelity to melted chocolate, I'm not in total disagreement with you. I previously found, and reported in another thread (i.e., http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=mikeg ) the fact that the fidelity of the SDS amp suffers when connected to surge protection and power conditioning devices. Although I tested several such devices, and now use the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, I fully expect that the fidelity of the SDS amp. may be crisper when the amp is connected directly to an electric wall outlet. And, while in our tests you connected your Gilmore V2 amp. directly to a wall outlet, the SDS amp. remained connected to the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Obviously, our test conditions were not identical in this respect. But, there may be some audio benefits from using the Ultimate Outlet. I think that the list of benefits, that according to reviewers, result from use of the Ultimate Outlet may result in a sound that resembles melted chocolate. Please see this list of benefits as reported by reviewers, at the following thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ltimate+outlet

Your comments regarding the two holes that are drilled to the top of the Denon 2900, as part of the modification, and the missing Denon tag, are mostly correct. The holes are there in order to facilitate ventillation of heat that's produced by two internal tubes. But as delivered, the modified Denon does not have exposed holes. Two lovely plastic caps, which are perforated, are solidly installed within these openings. Cosmetically, the top of the unit looks quite lovely. My reason for removing these plastic caps is due to the cramped space into which I squeezed this player, thereby IMO necessitating the removal of these plastic caps. Although John Tucker recommends that approx. 3 inches of headroom remain above the unit, I allow less than one inch in my setup. I do, however, use a fan to blow air across the top of the unit. Thus, the choice of having exposed holes at the top of the modded Denon 2900 was mine. It was not the way that John Tucker delivered the unit to me. But, as for the edges of the holes being razor sharp, that's a an exaggeration on your part. You can rub your finger around the edge all day long, and you'll not damage your skin.

Needless to say, I'll do further testing of my rig, to determine whether it sounds better when plugged directly into a wall outlet, versus remaining connected to the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. I hope to get a fuller understanding of this matter before our next mini-meet in January.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 51
sacdlover - My impressions can only based on what I heard during the meet. I have full confidence in my hearing ability and I am sure that this session is no different from the other sessions where my impressions have been accurate.

Now - simply put, the way things were on the day of this meet, the Gilmore V2-BE just did bass better than the SDS. Between the two amps I preferred the SDS for sonics - nothing wrong with its bass...I can hear and appreciate very low levels of bass as long as the articulation and tightness is maintained. Its like...a elegant woman and a full blown dominatrix
very_evil_smiley.gif

I did mention in the first post in this thread that the equipment was not sufficiently burned in - my amp is brand new off the rack and not burned in either...maybe things will change with time.

mikeg - I hope my "tone" in my posts are not "degrading" because the mods on the Denon obviously do what they are meant to do and with adequate financial backing - I would have no hesitation in doing the same.

As for the chocolate reference - melted chocolate is delicious...it is a true compliment...some people like the melted chocolate and others like the crunch of the Nestle Crunch
k1000smile.gif
I prefer the melted chocolate but at the current selling prices...I will have to wait a long time to get into that league
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 51
Guru - Peace be with you, my friend. I think that we've covered the subject with sufficient thoroughness for now. BTW, you forgot your buddha-bar VI disk at my home. Please send me an address via PM, to which I should mail it.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

whats confusing?

Um, well... in the first quote you state that you think the RS-1 is the best headphone in the grado lineup and in the second you are suggesting that a PS-1 or HP-1 is in his future.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Guru - Peace be with you, my friend. I think that we've covered the subject with sufficient thoroughness for now. BTW, you forgot your buddha-bar VI disk at my home. Please send me an address via PM, to which I should mail it.

mike - I want you to listen to the DISK-1 of that collection. The first track is unbelievable...

you have PM
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Um, well... in the first quote you state that you think the RS-1 is the best headphone in the grado lineup and in the second you are suggesting that a PS-1 or HP-1 is in his future.

I still think the PS1 is terribly overpriced. I still dont think it is worth $1300.00 or whatever...maybe $600.00 tops. The RS-1 is worth $300.00 tops.

Some people can afford it and if mikeg can then it will compliment his setup quite nicely from a "sonics" point of view. value doesnt mean anything at this level of the game so why not just go for the best.

I am listening to a HP1 right now...I think the PS1 is still a better headphone...sonically...not for value

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #25 of 51
I strongly prefer the Gilmore amplifiers to the three SinglePowers that I have heard. Gilmore amplifiers are simply more refined, more detailed, and nicer sounding. I'll take the flavour in my headphones or speakers not my amp.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 51
Thanks mike & guru for your honest, and enlightening impressions!

While I've never AB-ed these two amps side-by-side, I have heard them both. I would never say that the Gilmore v2 has exaggerated bass in the least, nor would I say that the latest SDS amps lack it.

It's always funny to read others bashing a real-world listening experience by bashing the method, or some small factors in the process. No one listens to gear the same way, whether they own it or are just test-driving it. And the variables can be almost infinite. We can only go to reasonable measures, and use some common sense (and our own ears!). At least these guys heard the equipment side by side, in as controlled a fashion as anything I could put together. That holds a lot of credo to me, whether they each agree or not. Thanks again guys.

Dec 3, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 51
jpelg - There seems to be a whole lot of subjectivity in doing these comparisons, and I'm starting to agree with those who say that the only way to evaluate most equipment is to live with the equipment for good long while, in order to hear it over days or weeks. And also to use a whole lot of different kinds of music while doing so, and to listen during various times of day and evening. The following are two situations that I experienced. Several months ago I listened to Gene's (agile_one's) R10 at a mini-meet at my home. At first I did not like it, but I was fortunate to have Gene leave his R10 in my home for about 10 days. After listening to it throughout this time, I discovered what a terrific headphone it is, and I bought one. Another example of this occurred this morning. When I listened to my system late last night (during 1-2 AM), when I was very tired, I was disappointed with its sound. But, when I heard the same CD this morning, the sound was fabulous. It's clear to me that my evaluation of sound depends alot on whether I'm tired, or fully awake and aware, at the time that I do my concentrated listening to complex orchestral classical music. Having others in the room (e.g., Guru) may also influence and distort my judgement. Time pressures, the need to maintain dialog with my visitor, and to compete with his ideas, to search for and select CDs, to order and get pizza, etc., etc., all take a toll on concentration, and IMO distort judgements regarding equipment performance. Thus I find myself in agreement with a point that I think was made by sacdlover, which emphasizes that one has to live with equipment for a while before making a meaningful evaluation of it. One further point. This morning I tried plugging my system directly into a wall outlet, versus connecting it to the PS Audio Ultra Outlet. I did this several times, back and forth. My conclusion is that I could not hear any difference between the two options. But, this was not the case when I first received the brand new Ultimate Outlet. At that time there was a clear loss when powering the system through it. Seems that burn-in of the Ultimate Outlet resulted in a substantial improvement.

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #28 of 51
I agree with mikeg and would be very happy if he ships all his gear to me for several months without any promise of return
tongue.gif
LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

It was an interesting meet...we all have a few impressions and thats that...nothing definite. People in similar situations may hear what we heard and come to the same conclusions. None of us are lying about what we heard and I dont have to suck up to mikeg and say that all his equipment is great. This is the special relationship that exists among all FL headfiers. I am going to miss this community when I move to the butt end of USA with deep snow on one side and a deep lake on the other
rolleyes.gif

One thing is for sure...that Sonic Impact T Amp KICKS ASS!!

mikeg - I am rigging it up to a temporary "passbox" to use as with a 1/4" neutrik jack. I should be done sometime tonight and will let you know if it works out
wink.gif

If it does then I will slap together a similar box and send it your way. I am sure you cannot do this sort of fine soldering
k1000smile.gif
I remember your soldering iron...you could solder railroad rails with that thing
eek.gif
LOL

Cheers all!!

Dec 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #29 of 51
You are making me laugh, and that's a problem. I'm sitting here, at a library computer, next to other library users. And, the people on either side of me hear me laughing out loud, and think that I'm nuts

As for the Sonic Impact T Amp, it would be real valuable to other Head-Fi users to know how well it works with regular headphones, such as the Grados, Sennheiser 650, etc. Is this the conversion that you are making? If so, and if the results are good, it may benefit lots of our Head-Fi members. Others can then stick it in a fancy case, claim that they can even hear a fly urinate in the background, and charge lots of $$ for it.

Quote:

I agree with mikeg and would be very happy if he ships all his gear to me for several months without any promise of return
tongue.gif
LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

It was an interesting meet...we all have a few impressions and thats that...nothing definite. People in similar situations may hear what we heard and come to the same conclusions. None of us are lying about what we heard and I dont have to suck up to mikeg and say that all his equipment is great. This is the special relationship that exists among all FL headfiers. I am going to miss this community when I move to the butt end of USA with deep snow on one side and a deep lake on the other
rolleyes.gif

One thing is for sure...that Sonic Impact T Amp KICKS ASS!!

mikeg - I am rigging it up to a temporary "passbox" to use as with a 1/4" neutrik jack. I should be done sometime tonight and will let you know if it works out
wink.gif

If it does then I will slap together a similar box and send it your way. I am sure you cannot do this sort of fine soldering
k1000smile.gif
I remember your soldering iron...you could solder railroad rails with that thing
eek.gif
LOL

Cheers all!!

Dec 3, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Others can then stick it in a fancy case, claim that they can even hear a fly urinate in the background, and charge lots of $$ for it.

Mua ha ha ha! ROTFLMFAO
600smile.gif

I built one channel with no soldering. wires straight from T-Amp into bread-board, components on the bread board and output wire to neutrik jack. building the other channel now.

If anyone wants to do it it will take about 20 minutes including soldering. I will post detailed info on this in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back