Soundstage versus Bass..?
Jan 3, 2009 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Qata

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a great <$200 pair of headphones.

I was considering the ATH-D50 and AD700 due to them supposedly both having clear, uncolored sound with great clarity across the spectrum from what I have read. (both ideal prices for me).

However, I am learning that bass is missing on open ones and soundstage on the closed ones. Both these qualities seem to be essential, maybe slightly more so the bass as I wouldn't want to give that up.

How much of a diffence is there between these two models in particular, does one lose less of the other quality?

Not set on any brand, would love to hear other recommendations for phones that do bring these together. (isolation isn't an immediate concern, btw)

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you going to drive the headphones with?

Ya, that question. You can fix bass easier than fixing the soundstage tbh.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 5
For now just a Zune & a standard stereo system receiver module headphone jack.

So I would want to have it very reasonable as un-amped for the first while. (with an option to simply improve quality even more when i get an amp) If i could get a headphone amp for less than $100 I would consider it sooner.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 5
The very first headphone that came to my mind when I read soundstage and bass was the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. I had the 2005 model and I felt that an airy soundstage and punchy bass were its strong points (I have not heard the older version, however). I doubt you can find them for under $200 used, but I have seen them go for a decent amount under $240 several times in the FS forum. Of course, you'll probably want/need a dedicated headphone amp for the DT990s. If you have a decent amp then the only problem is the price (which I realize is more than you're looking to pay, but I figured it'd still be worthwhile to mention the DT990s; maybe somebody else can chime in on the older DT990 model?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back