Soundsoul S-018 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #121 of 283
Such a shame that there's still no way of getting these in Europe. And can't even find a place to import with a fair price either. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #122 of 283
Such a shame that there's still no way of getting these in Europe. And can't even find a place to import with a fair price either. 

There's taobao, but it's risky

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #124 of 283
  Yes I'd rather not buy them there, plus they are double the price.

You can buy from amazon.com by using borderlinx. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #126 of 283
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I hope it will be only 6 to 10 days....

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #128 of 283
I did this during my lunch break at work lol Musical lunch!!!

SoundSOUL S-018 review

Housing : Cherry wood
Driver : 9mm titanium diaphragm with neodymium magnet driver (confirmed by SoundSOUL)
Impedance : 16ohms
Frequency Response : 20-20khz
Cost : $8.00-12.00
Tips : JVC Spiral Dots L
Source : Sony A15
File types : Hi Rez FLAC, 320 mp3
Amp : None

While playing America - Tin Man, you immediately are met by treble being a strong suit of the S-018. We're talking about an IEM where the highs and mids are the stars of the show. Clarity is exemplary. Details are spit out at you from all sides, cymbal crashes are long in decay. This is where they shine. Clarity in the drums. Sustain is better than even some higher end IEM's like the GR07, A71, IM70, and Zero Audio Tenore. You have to get into BA drivers to start touching the sustain, decay, and clarity in the highs. Voices are clear and strong. The mids bite and attack. There is no grain, but there's a lack of air that keeps them from truly being smooth, and spacious. Does this affect detail retrieval though? No. Not at all. Instrument separation is above average.

Details and timbre are realistic. Guitar strings in Bad Company - Shooting Star shimmer and ring. Vibrations, feedback, decay all prominent and clear.

Soundstage is average. 3D imaging and depth are all affected negatively by the average stage. Spacing can be a bit dry. There's a definite lack of smoothness, that denies it a certain sophistication and elegance found in some higher end IEMs, but there's no lack of energy, and the clarity brings vocal presentations forward and powerfully, while never giving up sibilance or roughness. It is neither smooth nor sandy, but sitting in this middle void.

Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath reveals its muscle for presenting vocals in a way that is haunting, beautiful, full of minute details, while showing it can present pan, reverb, movement, and imaging when it wants to. Still if it could pull off depth and spacing better, it would have put it in the realm of the JVC FX series. Lush it is not, but lacking in finesse is also does not.

Bass was tested on a high rez recording of Bob Marley's Legend. The bass floor is most certainly achieved. It hits low and punchy. The bass is rival to the bass found in the double dynamic Fidue A71. Is the bass heavy fisted? No. It lacks boominess, thump, and does not bleed. There's no mid bass presence, so impact is only present when called upon. When the bass needs to go low, it can achieve it, with very little to no distortion. A scant bit of distortion can be present on faster bass tracks, as the S-018 isn't the fastest bass responsive IEM. On slower bass tracks, it's so even tempered and precise, it's a high end IEM experience. When you throw black metal and speed metal at it, there can be some lag and distortion, but it's very scant, and even fast metal tracks can be a fun experience because of the punch, clarity, and sub bass.

Isolation is average, but not bad. You can really get a good deal with spiral dots, and they can be a very good travel or work out IEM.

I consider the tuning in these to be world class, and the performance level to be on the same playing field as the Ostry KC06, TTPOD T1e, VSonic VSD3S, Zero Audio Tenore, and HiFiMan RE-400/ZERO. They fit and play nicely in with those budget kings, and I consider them budget heavyweights. They are definite upgrades to much of the consumer grade IEMs on the market, and if not for its distinct lack of air, imaging, and soundstage, could play with the high end big boys. Despite those shortcomings, I still highly recommend them, still use them frequently, and feel they are the pre-eminent starter woodie for every budding audiophile.

Hope this helps with anyone who had/has questions about the amazing woodie SoundSOUL S-018.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #129 of 283

SoundSOUL S-018 review

Driver : 9mm titanium diaphragm with neodymium magnet driver (confirmed by SoundSOUL)

While playing America - Tin Man, you immediately are met by treble being a strong suit of the S-018. We're talking about an IEM where the highs and mids are the stars of the show. Clarity is exemplary. Details are spit out at you from all sides, cymbal crashes are long in decay. This is where they shine. Clarity in the drums. Sustain is better than even some higher end IEM's like the GR07, A71, IM70, and Zero Audio Tenore. You have to get into BA drivers to start touching the sustain, decay, and clarity in the highs. Voices are clear and strong. The mids bite and attack. There is no grain, but there's a lack of air that keeps them from truly being smooth, and spacious. Does this affect detail retrieval though? No. Not at all. Instrument separation is above average.

Details and timbre are realistic. Guitar strings in Bad Company - Shooting Star shimmer and ring. Vibrations, feedback, decay all prominent and clear.

Soundstage is average. 3D imaging and depth are all affected negatively by the average stage. Spacing can be a bit dry. There's a definite lack of smoothness, that denies it a certain sophistication and elegance found in some higher end IEMs, but there's no lack of energy, and the clarity brings vocal presentations forward and powerfully, while never giving up sibilance or roughness. It is neither smooth nor sandy, but sitting in this middle void.

Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath reveals its muscle for presenting vocals in a way that is haunting, beautiful, full of minute details, while showing it can present pan, reverb, movement, and imaging when it wants to. Still if it could pull off depth and spacing better, it would have put it in the realm of the JVC FX series. Lush it is not, but lacking in finesse is also does not.

Bass was tested on a high rez recording of Bob Marley's Legend. The bass floor is most certainly achieved. It hits low and punchy. The bass is rival to the bass found in the double dynamic Fidue A71. Is the bass heavy fisted? No. It lacks boominess, thump, and does not bleed. There's no mid bass presence, so impact is only present when called upon. When the bass needs to go low, it can achieve it, with very little to no distortion. A scant bit of distortion can be present on faster bass tracks, as the S-018 isn't the fastest bass responsive IEM. On slower bass tracks, it's so even tempered and precise, it's a high end IEM experience. When you throw black metal and speed metal at it, there can be some lag and distortion, but it's very scant, and even fast metal tracks can be a fun experience because of the punch, clarity, and sub bass.

Isolation is average, but not bad. You can really get a good deal with spiral dots, and they can be a very good travel or work out IEM.

I consider the tuning in these to be world class, and the performance level to be on the same playing field as the Ostry KC06, TTPOD T1e, VSonic VSD3S, Zero Audio Tenore, and HiFiMan RE-400/ZERO. They fit and play nicely in those budget kings, and I consider them budget heavyweights. They are definite upgrades to much of the consumer grade IEMs on the market, and if not for its distinct lack of air, imaging, and soundstage, could play with the high end big boys. Despite those shortcomings, I still highly recommend them, still use them frequently, and feel they are the pre-eminent starter woodie for every budding audiophile.

Hope this helps with anyone who had/has questions about the amazing woodie SoundSOUL S-018.

So between those and the TTPOD t1e, which do you prefer? 

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #130 of 283

SoundSOUL S-018 review

I consider the tuning in these to be world class, and the performance level to be on the same playing field as the Ostry KC06, TTPOD T1e, VSonic VSD3S, Zero Audio Tenore, and HiFiMan RE-400/ZERO. They fit and play nicely in those budget kings, and I consider them budget heavyweights. They are definite upgrades to much of the consumer grade IEMs on the market, and if not for its distinct lack of air, imaging, and soundstage, could play with the high end big boys. Despite those shortcomings, I still highly recommend them, still use them frequently, and feel they are the pre-eminent starter woodie for every budding audiophile.

Thank you very much for the review. If this is as good as RE-ZERO, it will be easily one of my favorites. 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #131 of 283

Before I got a short in the jack, the T1e was one of my favorite IEMs. The sound really fit my personal taste, they had awesome spacing and depth, and aside from grainy mids, due to the bio cell diaphragm, really was a fun budget IEM that excelled, so I find its a pretty close call between the two. I like both for what they bring to the table, but if I went by all things considered, and fit easily goes to the S-018, I'd choose them.

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #132 of 283
Thank you very much for the review. If this is as good as RE-ZERO, it will be easily one of my favorites. :wink:  

You will enjoy them as much as the IM70 if only for the treble energy and clarity and sustain of the highs, which will make you think of the RE0, though the treble and mids are not quite to the level of the RE0, they are familiar.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #134 of 283
I would pick s-018 all day than IM-70... Why ? Comfortability and fit. It is how forgivable and good it is in comparison.

How do you like S-018 compared to IM70 other than fit and comfort?

Btw, I sold my IM70. I hope S-018 won't make me miss IM70.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #135 of 283

I know you were not asking me, but I ended up selling my T1-E. While it was not a bad sounding earphone, I just never liked the signature. The mids were too recessed for my liking. I thought the speed was very good and and the bass was very well tamed, with a nice quality to it.

But I also got the worst static on low volumes which I never had happen with any of my other earphones.

I replaced my TE-1 with the Soundsoul S-018 and have not looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back