Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Aug 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #121 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by pxl1500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So will dealperfect send extra tips with all new orders of the PL50? i want to try these out, but i don't want to ruin the tips and then wait again for them to send replacements
frown.gif

According to Soundmagic, the issue has been fixed for the new (current) batch of PL50s. This has only been confirmed once AFAIK (see NSX_23's post above), so you may want to wait for someone else to pick up a pair.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #123 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by pxl1500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i will wait for a little and make sure i get the PL-50 from the second batch.

Third batch. The second batch is the one that had problems with at least some of the units.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #125 of 214
I will contact Jack again tommorow. Those ''few days'' have turned out to be more than a week, and I'm sick of waiting and knowing nothing about those improved foam tips.

Although I'm not that happy with DealPerfect's CS right now, I am enjoying my PL50's. I'm getting a reasonable seal with the medium silicone tips and with a 6dB bass boost on my Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze, everything sounds crisp and clear. Microphonics are zero, they are extremely comfortable and are a solid buy at this price point as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #126 of 214
I'll echo that by saying that coming back to these from several days of using only the Skullcandy Ink'd and JVC Marshmallows (for review purposes, of course) I am reminded of just how good a $50 earphone can sound. Diminishing returns definitely do not kick in at this point.

At the moment, with Sony Hybrid tips, I am completely satisfied with the way these sound. I know I'll be less enamored with them once I go back to my RE0s or Etys, but they are a great reality check.

Hopefully soundmagic and its distributors will make good on their promises to the 2nd batch PL50 owners and the reputation of these phones will not be marred so early in their life.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #127 of 214
Tip Update:

Finally got my Vsonic foam tips that I ordered as soon as my Soundmagic ones got de-cored and they fit! I'd need a few days to see how much I like them, but I am using them right now and they don't sound any worse than the stock Soundmagic tips. Definitely $2 well spent as I now have both silicone (Sony Hybrids) and foam tips that fit
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #128 of 214
Got mine 3 days ago and the foam tips slide right off smoothly
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine Say Aug 9 on them, and I know mine are the new fixed batch.

(from DealPerfect)

EDIT: is there any place to buy just the Sony Hybrid MEDIUM tips? I would really like to try a pair and I know for sure my ears fit Sony Medium tips
smily_headphones1.gif
They don't sell these online
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #129 of 214
so... does anyone think the PL50 is good for classical too?

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #130 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgg123321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: is there any place to buy just the Sony Hybrid MEDIUM tips? I would really like to try a pair and I know for sure my ears fit Sony Medium tips
smily_headphones1.gif
They don't sell these online
frown.gif

Unfortunately you can't buy Sony Hybrids in anything but the 4-pack of different sizes. Cheapest price i could find online was about $9 shipped for the pack (conus). An alternate option is buying them from someone who bought the pack but doesn't need the medium size.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #131 of 214
Now I'm a little worried about them coming off TOO easily. I actually liked the reports of the tips being hard to remove since I've lost numerous tips taking earphones out of pockets, etc. and it is frustrating when that happens.

How easy do the new ones come off? I hope it still takes a little bit of effort so they don't come off easily in pockets like my JBL Ref 220 and Sony EX-85s did.

Did they change the size of the tip stalk or the tips themselves? I'm assuming the tips, since that seems like it would require less work ($) than changing the earphone body size.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #132 of 214
Errrr it shouldn't be too easy. I have mine and it says August 9th too, if you read one of my earlier posts, I wasn't sure if these were new or old batch because they were tough to get off, but I was able to get them off without decoring it...

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #133 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so... does anyone think the PL50 is good for classical too?

It's ok but not as good as with other genres IMO. High piano notes and brass can be a bit harsh and "metallic". Soundstage is rather small for orchestra works. Compared to the cheaper PL30 the latter has more relaxed albeit slightly less detailed highs and a bigger soundstage. Tough decision, but between these two I would go with the airier PL30 for classical.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #134 of 214
I went to get the UE Sf3 studio at the end.. with and E5 amp.. you guys think its a good combo?

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #135 of 214
I just got my pl50's.

Anyways... My first impressions of these phones are not that exciting... I dunno. I was expecting something more but I'm certainly not blown away. Maybe I'm missing something. I need to give them a more thorough listen. I took them for a run and they stayed on nicely however.

Edited my post

At first I tried to remove my tips and thought I had an old batch but with a bit of pressure the tips came off smoothly.

Changed tips and these are sounding really good! Need a better seal still. What tips are you guys liking with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back