SoundMAGIC PL30 Adjustable Bass Earphones
Sep 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you determine that they're real (especially with regards to driver tuning/sound quality) without owning a 100%-for-sure legit version to compare with?

You raise a good point. I concluded that the CX400 Sennheiser's I received from Focalpoint were real without having an authorized set to compare it to.

I did inspect them them very carefully and compared them to the photos of real and fake CX-400's on Head-fi. I also judged the build quality, and sound quality relative to other good Koss and Shure (530s) buds I own.

If they are fake, they are really really fine fakes. My guess is that it would cost more for a Chinese manufacturer to set up a plant that makes absolutely perfect fakes than it would to add a "night shift" to the real plant.

That is, I am quite certain that Focalpoint is not an authorized dealer of Sennheiser headphones in the U.S. So, to that degree they are not "100% legit". However, I do think the factory that makes them for Sennheiser also made the CX-400s I got.

So far as I can tell, there is no authorized U.S. distributor for Soundmagic, so in that sense none of them are legit. However, I bet from a manufacturing cost standpoint you and the factory can make a good profit selling them for $20 shipped. We will see. Mine were airmailed 2 days ago, and last time it took about a week to get here.

From the owner reviews here, I hope them to perform in the general ballpark of the Shure 530s....if they do, they are the deal of the year.

George

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #49 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by groch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You raise a good point. I concluded that the CX400 Sennheiser's I received from Focalpoint were real without having an authorized set to compare it to.

I thought about this before I made the purchase. Unless someone that bought the $42 PL30 on eBay decides to try out the pair from FocalPrice.com, there is no way to know if what I am getting is "legit". As it is, I can deal with losing $19.82 if they do end up being terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by groch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the owner reviews here, I hope them to perform in the general ballpark of the Shure 530s....if they do, they are the deal of the year.

I have the same optimistic outlook for these phones. I have owned the UM2, PK1, and now currently the im716, so I will know how to listen for quality. If they perform anywhere near any of these, I will consider these a magnificent deal!

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #50 of 232
Yeah, to be honest I very much doubt they are fakes as who would actually go through the trouble of copying a $30 item but then who knows, I've certainly seen stranger things!

Ltucci1924: The Pl30's are a well balanced canalphone. Tight bass with decent enough impact (though if you are a serious basshead there probably won't be enough). Midbass in check, slightly forward mids and ok treble though seems to be a little rolled off. Clarity and separation is good and certainly a lot more than you would expect for $40 earphones.

My biggest gripe with them is that the upper mids/lower treble are a little sizzly and I did notice some sibilance but then my ears are extremely sensitive to that stuff and I doubt it would be a problem to most.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #51 of 232
My only IEMs right now are the im716, and my cat bit through the cable, so I will be happy just to have some functioning phones. If they sound great, then that will be icing on the cake.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #52 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only IEMs right now are the im716, and my cat bit through the cable, so I will be happy just to have some functioning phones. If they sound great, then that will be icing on the cake.

Have a look at my Avatar. lol That little bugger ate my brand new Triple fi-10 cords and then a few days later, at my CX300 cords.

But not near as bad has the bugger done to my canalphone cords as she did to a wire lanyard. That sucker was in pieces...metal pieces. LOL

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #53 of 232
I now keep all my phones in a closed box out of reach of the little monster's insatiable cable appetite!

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #54 of 232
It bring a lot of joy to me reading this thread.

Well you will be so surprise that in China it doesn't work like what you guys would think of it to be. I am located in China for work for at least half a year now, while my search for cheap audio stuff never stop.

There are fakes for stuff that are lesser then USD$2. I can be sure that there are definitely fakes for this phones, and the fakes senns that have been mentioned looks amazingly real. I own a pair too.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #55 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are fakes for stuff that are lesser then USD$2. I can be sure that there are definitely fakes for this phones, and the fakes senns that have been mentioned looks amazingly real. I own a pair too.

Have you had a chance to listen to the fake PL30? I am wondering if I should cancel my order for these since they have not shipped yet. If they are fake at FocalPrice.com, then there is no telling whether they are even worth $20.

I would rather pay the $40 on eBay if I am guaranteed a genuine pair that live up to the high praise given on this thread so far.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #58 of 232
I've seen the question but not the answer...
How's the isolation on these?
I'm going on an overseas trip soon, and want something not too expensive but with good isolation.
And, does anyone know if they're available inside Singapore airport? I might pick some up on the way through, if my JVC FX33's aren't good enough on the first leg...

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #59 of 232
To me not so good. I think thats why they have a very nice soundstage.
I even use the HD bi-flange and it still is not to good but I cant put the bi-flange in to far yet because my ears hurt from all the A/b stuff I have done. There are better iem that isolate lots better but the sound?????

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #60 of 232
How about leakage? Would someone near you be able to hear your music while you were wearing the PL30's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back