SoundMAGIC PL-50 released, received, reviewed!!!
Sep 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #316 of 371
Quote:
Any word on when new SoundMagic phones come out?

Also, what's up with the official SoundMAGIC site?

GOOGLE WON'T TELL ME THE ANSWER!

It used to be soundmagic.com.cn, but the site is death now. You can check out their other site: http://soundmagic.en.alibaba.com/

I will fly an email over to ask them if they have plan for any new headphone or not.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #318 of 371
Here is the reply I got back. SoundMAGIC is currently in development of full sized headphone, collapsible on-ear, wireless, in-ear, headphone amplifier. The headphone amp will be released soon, the others will follow in due time.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #319 of 371
Thanks for the info.
It all sounds rather vague, don't you think?
Seems like we're in for a wait
frown.gif

How long did it take them to release PL-50 after PL-30?

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #320 of 371
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
It all sounds rather vague, don't you think?
Seems like we're in for a wait
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />
How long did it take them to release PL-50 after PL-30?

That's all I got for now. IIRC, I think it is roughly over a year after PL-30's release that PL-50 came out. Note that SoundMAGIC has grown substantially since then as they are OEM'ing as well as suppling parts for a few bigger brands now, so development on their own brand is probably a tad slower than before.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #322 of 371

Quote:
Here is the reply I got back. SoundMAGIC is currently in development of full sized headphone, collapsible on-ear, wireless, in-ear, headphone amplifier. The headphone amp will be released soon, the others will follow in due time.

Any idea whether they plan on keeping the pl50 sound signature? Are they going to try and establish a house sound, a la Sennheiser or Grado; or perhaps go the beyerdynamic route and have different models with different sound signatures?

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #323 of 371
Quote:
Shame.
Their amp should be interesting though, right?

Don't know. I have seen any detail about it.

Quote:
Any idea whether they plan on keeping the pl50 sound signature? Are they going to try and establish a house sound, a la Sennheiser or Grado; or perhaps go the beyerdynamic route and have different models with different sound signatures

From their past products, I don't think SoundMAGIC care a lot on keeping a house sound. FYI, they are actually BeyerDynamic parts' supplier.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #324 of 371
It had to happen: one of the housings split.
I don't know if it's a good idea to try and glue them together again myself, but I might give it a try.
Housing build quality is the iffy point about the PL-50's. I have the idea that the other housing might split very soon as well.

My experience with them has been pretty good, but it's not without faults.
They are mighty comfortable, have a great cable, are very reasonably detailed sound-wise and are bundled with more than a regular person like me would need.
However, I think the sound signature is a bit boring, it doesn't have a very big soundstage and it could REALLY need more bass. But that is to be expected from a balanced armature. 
Still, for my music genres (mainly Rock), I could really need extra bass.

Even with Sony Hybrid tips, the seal could have been better. Especially the left side, from which the housing has now split, would not stay in all the time.
Maybe I just have weird ears, don't know. 
wink.gif

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now.
I really liked these IEM's as a step up from earbuds, and I have used them almost on a daily basis when I'm in the bus to school or on my bike.
I could try to fix them, but I'm worried that I could make things worse by using too much glue.

If it's best to replace them, I would rather have an IEM that seals better (or stays in my ears better), has more bass and is more solid build-quality wise.
I can remember I was looking at the Fischer Audio Eterna a few months ago, would that be something I should look at?
Or do you have any tips on how to glue the housing back together? 

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #325 of 371
A tiny bit of superglue around the edge should fix the problem permanently. Certain batch of PL50 are known to use a weak glue so the housing might split in time, but those were the second / third batch almost a year ago. There are many IEM released after PL50, many of the excellent one are around the $50~$100 range and well worth a look.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #326 of 371
And that's where I'm a bit torn. I could fix the problem with a bit of superglue, but I could also try out another sound signature and keep these as back-up IEM's, in case I don't like my new purchase.

My current speaker-set for my PC is an old 2.1 Philips MMS320 (two speakers, one subwoofer). Although it's not really fair to compare a multimedia speaker system to IEM's, I have to say I really like my speakers.
It's got a lot more bass presence and the sound is very spacious. It makes music so much more enjoyable. I always want to sing along to the music on my pc, and I wish I had that same feeling when listening to my PL-50's. 

I really don't want to rush my decision, but I just noticed Meelectronics has a 51% off coupon code for the M11+. They should stop teasing me. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #327 of 371
I decided to put some superglue on after all.
Seems like it's holding pretty well so far. If it decides to split again soon, I'm definitely going to return here and check out some alternatives.
Thanks for being as helpful as ever, ClieOS. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #329 of 371
IIRC, ALO Audio and Head-Direct both carry the PL-50. They are sponsors of the forum so link to websites are on the right side of every page.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #330 of 371

Quote:
IIRC, ALO Audio and Head-Direct both carry the PL-50. They are sponsors of the forum so link to websites are on the right side of every page.

IIRC, don't those retailers sell the pl50 for close to $75? Focalprice sells them for $55, sometimes $50 if they're having a sale or you can find a coupon. That's where I bought mine when I had them. And frankly, while they're a good buy for $50, I don't think they're worth $75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back