Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #316 of 775
Thinking about getting a pair. Other folks claim they sound good, and they're only $25 so it's not like I'm going broke buying them (but I would need to get some more phones to use the extras
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #317 of 775
  Thinking about getting a pair. Other folks claim they sound good, and they're only $25 so it's not like I'm going broke buying them (but I would need to get some more phones to use the extras
biggrin.gif
)

hm5 pleathers are what I'm running and I love em. In regards to the last sentence, gotta love the excuses we make to buy more phones
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #318 of 775
Already ordered. Was thinking about getting a pair even if the velours worked out (now that there is a dealer on amazon.ca, pretty much clinched it)
Had some pm with another fellow who uses the velours on his grados, so I figured I can give that a try too. Need to make an adapter since the earcups are way smaller than the pads.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #319 of 775
  Already ordered. Was thinking about getting a pair even if the velours worked out (now that there is a dealer on amazon.ca, pretty much clinched it)
Had some pm with another fellow who uses the velours on his grados, so I figured I can give that a try too. Need to make an adapter since the earcups are way smaller than the pads.

That should make for some interesting results with the grados.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #320 of 775
Hi here.

French owner of a HP150 pair since August, I'm still in love with this thing. I think I definitely like neutral signatures (anyway with some variations) more than the rest. Each time I'm using another pair, I can't put the Soundmagic out of my thoughts. The comfort is very good to me, after 5h + my ears are still not crying though I always feel the weight of the pads on my ears.

I plan on buying a more closed circum headphone with an equivalent sound of the HP150, do you have any suggestion ? The HP150 are said to be closed but I'm not considering use them outside and every day, not because of the size (with me it's circum or nothing) but because of the isolation that sounds not enough to me. I heard some comments about the NAD Viso HP50, more closed, having a warmer sound but in overall close to the sound of the HP150. Budget is about 300-400$ and it will be used either on my Fiio X3 or on a laptop + Odac/O2 if necessary.

Also, for the future, what would be the evident upgrade from the HP150 in open cans ? (budget 700$).

Thanks for answering. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #321 of 775
  Hi here.

French owner of a HP150 pair since August, I'm still in love with this thing. I think I definitely like neutral signatures (anyway with some variations) more than the rest. Each time I'm using another pair, I can't put the Soundmagic out of my thoughts. The comfort is very good to me, after 5h + my ears are still not crying though I always feel the weight of the pads on my ears.

I plan on buying a more closed circum headphone with an equivalent sound of the HP150, do you have any suggestion ? The HP150 are said to be closed but I'm not considering use them outside and every day, not because of the size (with me it's circum or nothing) but because of the isolation that sounds not enough to me. I heard some comments about the NAD Viso HP50, more closed, having a warmer sound but in overall close to the sound of the HP150. Budget is about 300-400$ and it will be used either on my Fiio X3 or on a laptop + Odac/O2 if necessary.

Also, for the future, what would be the evident upgrade from the HP150 in open cans ? (budget 700$).

Thanks for answering. 

The Hp100/150 has some of the best isolation I've heard in a closed headphone, though, because the clamping force isn't particularly high, you may disagree if you have a small head.  The HP50 certainly doesn't compete in that department.  However, Mad Dog by MrSpeakers has isolation that is a bit better.  IEMs in general have much better isolation than is achievable from a full-sized headphone.  I would recommend you buy a pair of IEMs for portable usage if isolation is a concern.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #322 of 775
Got the hm5 pleathers today. Much better sounding than the velour. Maybe too a tad too bassy, but not completely sure about that yet (felt the same way about the stock hp150 when I first got em too.) Seem to be smaller in diameter than the velour, and hold a bit of their oval shape. At least I found if I don't have then aligned properly (seam at bottom - or top, i suppose) then they feel a little weird.

Now I need to do something about that cable.....

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #323 of 775
  Got the hm5 pleathers today. Much better sounding than the velour. Maybe too a tad too bassy, but not completely sure about that yet (felt the same way about the stock hp150 when I first got em too.) Seem to be smaller in diameter than the velour, and hold a bit of their oval shape. At least I found if I don't have then aligned properly (seam at bottom - or top, i suppose) then they feel a little weird.

Now I need to do something about that cable.....

glad you like em. If my cable ever gives out ill probably just cut the locking mechanism off and just use a monoprice cable or whatever i feel like using.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #324 of 775
Feb 23, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #325 of 775
  Hi all, i have an HP200.

I'm trying to get some velour pads to replace the stocks, I am hoping the 100/150/200 are the same size (100x100mm).
Can anyone recommend some options? I have been told the Shure HPAEC1540 alacantra work but theyre about £50, far too much.

I see some are trying these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Earpad-Cushion-SRH1440-Headphones-Black/dp/B00N8Q6MCS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423513296&sr=8-11&keywords=headphone+velour+pads.

I haven't tried them, but for velour options the dt 770 pads seem to be the best option. They're said to be slightly worse than stock though.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #326 of 775
  Hi all, i have an HP200.

I'm trying to get some velour pads to replace the stocks, I am hoping the 100/150/200 are the same size (100x100mm).
Can anyone recommend some options? I have been told the Shure HPAEC1540 alacantra work but theyre about £50, far too much.

I see some are trying these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Earpad-Cushion-SRH1440-Headphones-Black/dp/B00N8Q6MCS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1423513296&sr=8-11&keywords=headphone+velour+pads.

Being the hp200 is open backed, the hm5 velours might work better for them than the hp150. I found the made my hp150s hollow sounding, I think because too much air leaking through the pads. That shouldn't be a problem with the hp200, and can be had for around $25.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #328 of 775
  Thanks Doppen & Trev, I've ordered the hm5 velours, they will hopefully improve the HP200 in comfort, lets see about the sound.

Hope they work out better for you than me (at least they are cheap, and I'm planning to try em on my grados). They are very comfortable, which kinda makes the sq a bigger disappointment. Post your impressions.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #330 of 775
  Hi does anyone know what type of ear pads are used with these? they look pleather

Amazon mentioned the ear pads have some rubber on it to protect it ? is this true

I currently have AKG K550s but not sure if the HP150s would be an upgrade ?

The ear pads are pleather. I think the rubber description on amazon is referring to the rubber coating on the cups. have't tried the akg k550, but their supposedly pretty similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back