Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #31 of 775
Got them! But I haven't opened the box yet (you'll see why below). Scanned box pictures of the HP150 (click for larger version):

And here's a bit of an enlargement of the frequency response chart

Looks the same to me as the HP100, although I admittedly have not studied the HP100 box measurements very closely.

So now it looks I have to decide if I want an HP100 with different cups, instead of a bassier headphone set. :mad:

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #32 of 775
Oh, and someone tell me if they think this is just a copy of the original HP100 measurement scan or if there are any minor differences. One would think that different cups would have some small effect.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #34 of 775
Got them! But I haven't opened the box yet (you'll see why below). Scanned box pictures of the HP150 (click for larger version):

And here's a bit of an enlargement of the frequency response chart

Looks the same to me as the HP100, although I admittedly have not studied the HP100 box measurements very closely.

So now it looks I have to decide if I want an HP100 with different cups, instead of a bassier headphone set.
mad.gif

Why don't you give them a try? Maybe they're more refined than the HP100?

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #35 of 775
Why don't you give them a try? Maybe they're more refined than the HP100?

If the drivers have been changed at all, one would expect that there would be some minute differences in the frequency response chart.

Besides, even if I try them, won't help anyone else looking for an HP100 comparison as I've never heard the HP100s.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #36 of 775
Jul 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #38 of 775
Does it come with a straight cable or coiled cable? The HP100 comes with a very unweildy coiled cable.

From the box, it looks like the straight cable and extension cord, similar to the HP200.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #39 of 775

This looks identical?  Doesn't make sense, I heard it's a redesigned driver?!?

I agree they are identical.  So it seems from the evidence that it's just better looking with a better cable.  For the same price, it's good for someone who doesn't have an HP100 (both needed upgrades).  But nothing worth replacing the HP100 for.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 775
Ah heck. Decided to try them :D

The cable is definitely the shorter one like with the HP200, with the extension as well.

I admittedly like the flat black cups better than the disco mirror ball ones I've seen in pictures of the HP100. They definitely would show wear less if scratched or scuffed, and of course they won't blind anyone and cause any accidents. :darthsmile:

First impressions after an hour of burn in is that the sound is definitely very linear (to be expected). Reminds me most of the Sony MDR-V6 I have in that regard, albeit with better subbass extension, better soundstage, and just better overall resolution. In fact, I am very impressed with how they render distortion/fuzz with guitar. The guitar in Smashing Pumpkin's Quiet sounds fantastic. Likely the combination of having a fairly smooth response through most of the frequency range (even though it has a dip) and good impulse response. Bass on EDM seems like it might be accurately represented--enough punch when required by the original recording. Imaging seems a bit better to me than the K550s (although I have not directly compared them).

Could this be a different driver that simply improves a little on what the HP100s already do? Sorry I can't tell you. But so far, they do so very good. I will probably end up keeping them.

So which one of you HP100 owners wants to buy a pair to see if they sound the same? :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #41 of 775
That case is different too.  Do the cups fold flat? 

I'd love to buy one to try them out but I'm really in no position to do so right now.  :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #43 of 775
Can you do a comparison between it and the K612? I am recently familiar with it and currently own the HP200, which is VERY similar...

Are you sure the cups aren't capable of sitting flat on a surface? It looks like it has the same swivel design as the others to do so.

Edit: Those matte black cups, doe!!!

Edit 2: Also, from what I've been told, the HP150 uses the same drivers as its counterparts (HP100, HP200). The woody HP300 is the one using different drivers, hence why it has taken SoundMAGIC so long to complete the project.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #44 of 775
Could you post a picture of the drivers (removing the pads is easy enough to do with the design that the HP100 has at least) as well as a picture of the side of the pad so that we can get an idea of whether or not the pads are thicker than the HP100 and at least if the drivers appear to be the same or not?

EDIT: You can't actually see the drivers with the cups removed, but I am interested in whether the design is different in any way regardless. I am willing to post pictures of my HP100 if no one else is willing to do so for comparison's sake (though I don't have a very good camera which is why I am hoping someone else will offer).

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #45 of 775
They do have some swiveling action. They can sit flat on a surface with the headband sticking up, kinda like the HP100:

But I can't see how to make them turn to lie flat like the M50:

At least I assumed that's what Stillhart meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back