SOUNDAWARE M1(PRO) Portable Player with Proprietary FPGA Architecture
Dec 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #556 of 1,094
Hi All, came across this thread on my search for an upgrade to the fiio x5ii. Pls tell me that The genre tab in the UI drills down to albums and then songs! Also is the pro version available and where? Thanks!

I swear I answered this. I don't think so. The genre tab doesn't populate for me, even though I have genre tags on my files. Not sure why. However the album tab doesn't drill down to albums, so I think it's a safe bet that genre doesn't, either. I think you'd need to organize your mSD card by genre -> artist -> album and use folder browsing. MP3Tag can automate this for you.
:beerchug:

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #557 of 1,094
So I had the Mojo in house for testing, and I have to agree with Currawong's assessment. Esther Analog keeps up very nicely with Mojo. If you're looking for a fuller sound than Mojo provides without sacrificing detail, Esther Analog might be the sound you're looking for. I really appreciate Esther and Mojo's musical sound signature that doesn't feel like it's exaggerating any part of the sound spectrum like I feel with some other DAPs that are touted as being highly dynamic, super 3D soundstage, etc. What you get with these is two different takes on what I feel is a nice warm sound that is very natural.

I felt Esther held the upper hand with my HE400 and the Edition X I just got in to play with. They sound great. Esther also plays very nicely with a lot of my IEM.

Where I feel Mojo has the upper hand is if you don't want such a full sound. I also found that the high driver count Empire Ears BA IEM had sound sig alteration with Esther that wasn't present with Mojo. With lower driver count Empire Ears IEM, I didn't have issues. I'd say the cutoff for this was 6 or 8 drivers. I noticed it mostly with Empire Ears 10 & 14 driver IEM, where I started losing upper end details with Esther. Can't say this will be a significant issue for other high driver count BA IEM, though...

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #558 of 1,094
I swear I answered this. I don't think so. The genre tab doesn't populate for me, even though I have genre tags on my files. Not sure why. However the album tab doesn't drill down to albums, so I think it's a safe bet that genre doesn't, either. I think you'd need to organize your mSD card by genre -> artist -> album and use folder browsing. MP3Tag can automate this for you.
beerchug.gif

Oh No! Why oh why cant the Chinese Dap manufacturers get their UI act together. I'm so spoiled by apple's UI and cant see myself doing folder browsing.
The wait continues.

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #559 of 1,094

beerchug.gif

Oh No! Why oh why cant the Chinese Dap manufacturers get their UI act together. I'm so spoiled by apple's UI and cant see myself doing folder browsing.
The wait continues.

And web sites. It was the same in Japan for a long time: Despite centuries of stunning art, they seemed to lose any sense of that in the 20th century for the most part. I guess once you get used to being surrounded by mediocre designs, you don't get any motivation to do otherwise. 

If it weren't maybe too early to consider it, I'd hope they'd do something similar to what FiiO did with the X5II and make a version without the edge around the screen or the rubber cover for the micro-SD card slot. The case could easily be smaller and neater. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #560 of 1,094
Hi All, came across this thread on my search for an upgrade to the fiio x5ii. Pls tell me that The genre tab in the UI drills down to albums and then songs! Also is the pro version available and where? Thanks!

I wonder what the price of the Pro version, and now it wants? I feel I will sell its vitality and to save money for higher level))

M1PRO is now available in China. If you are interested, please help to send me a PM, the Subject should be: M1PRO Soundaware, then indicating following questions:
1. where are you located in?
2. Do you usually buy from Amazon, or others?
Then, we will consider to put M1 PRO in eBay or Amazon, just consider, not finally decide. As our production is not large, so, if sell to foreigners, the quantity will be small.
Thanks very much for your interesting in our M1PRO.

Soundaware Stay updated on Soundaware at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Soundaware-Audio-CoLtd-140035019979865/ https://www.us.soundaware.net/ Soundaware Official market@soundaware.net
Dec 28, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #561 of 1,094
So I had the Mojo in house for testing, and I have to agree with @Currawong's assessment. Esther Analog keeps up very nicely with Mojo. If you're looking for a fuller sound than Mojo provides without sacrificing detail, Esther Analog might be the sound you're looking for. I really appreciate Esther and Mojo's musical sound signature that doesn't feel like it's exaggerating any part of the sound spectrum like I feel with some other DAPs that are touted as being highly dynamic, super 3D soundstage, etc. What you get with these is two different takes on what I feel is a nice warm sound that is very natural.

I felt Esther held the upper hand with my HE400 and the Edition X I just got in to play with. They sound great. Esther also plays very nicely with a lot of my IEM.

Where I feel Mojo has the upper hand is if you don't want such a full sound. I also found that the high driver count Empire Ears BA IEM had sound sig alteration with Esther that wasn't present with Mojo. With lower driver count Empire Ears IEM, I didn't have issues. I'd say the cutoff for this was 6 or 8 drivers. I noticed it mostly with Empire Ears 10 & 14 driver IEM, where I started losing upper end details with Esther. Can't say this will be a significant issue for other high driver count BA IEM, though...

Nik, how does the M1 sound with the Zen 2.0?

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #562 of 1,094
jrazmar: It sounds great with Zen 2.0 as long as you want a nice warm, full sound. Esther really fills up the soundstage, leaving no no nooks and crannies. The Aune M2 I've got in still sounds warm, but not as warm as Esther Analog and with more empty space. Mojo is between Esther and Aune M2 for warmth and fullness. Out of these, I prefer Esther Analog with Zen 2.0.

And I just got HiFiMan Edition X in for testing. Oh, does it ever sound good with Esther. So nice. So very nice...
:L3000:

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #563 of 1,094
that sounds promising, nik. I have the Plenue 1 and enjoys it's sounds with the Zen 2.0 as well as its ability to tweak the overall sonic signature thru BBE effects and EQ but still wondering about the Esther being compared to the highly acclaimed Mojo. As I don't have the luxury to audition all these audio equipment before making a purchase, I'm always doing trial and error with my choices without actually hearing it first. I remember you mentioned that you have not heard the P1 yet so I assume you cannot compare the same with the Esther and/or the Mojo. I'm really at a dilemma now whether to pursue selling the Cowon and buy the M1 (or the QP1R if I have the money) or be happy with the P1 as that sounds significantly the same with the M1 or maybe better. This hobby is making life difficult for me, man.
deadhorse.gif

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #565 of 1,094
  I've been trying to create my now CUE files to use with Esther to get gapless playback but haven't been successful. I'm on a Mac and was trying with XLD. Are there any Mac users on here who can help me out?

Are you trying to combine separate flac files then generate the cue?

Could try the command line tools shntool with flac:

shntool join -n -o flac *.flac

shntool cue *.flac > joined.cue

Can't remember how I installed shntool and flac but it's easier with homebrew http://brew.sh:

brew install shntool
brew install flac

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #567 of 1,094
anyone knows why the M1 in penonaudio is only $499. I thought this retails for $549. Is the latest fw for Esther already robust and reliable in terms of usability? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Is the Esther jeans pocketable and reasonably light? what's the final take on Analog vs Vitality version? which sounds better overall with most headphones? on the other hand, how much is the M1Pro?

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #568 of 1,094
anyone knows why the M1 in penonaudio is only $499. I thought this retails for $549. Is the latest fw for Esther already robust and reliable in terms of usability? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this. Is the Esther jeans pocketable and reasonably light? what's the final take on Analog vs Vitality version? which sounds better overall with most headphones? on the other hand, how much is the M1Pro?

I haven't heard Vitality but gather that it's a more "conventional" DAP sound, whereas Analog sounds quite full, warm without sacrificing detail. As such, I'd say most people would prefer the Vitality for all around use. However, I'm drawn to the Analog over a lot of other DAPs I've heard.

It's comparable in size to iPhone 4S but roughly twice the thickness, so size is pretty good for a DAP of this caliber. It is pretty light.

As with a lot of Chinese DAPs, FW is quirky but usable. However, you must be comfortable using Folder Browsing. Esther doesn't have strong Tag Browsing features, so if you want that Esther isn't for you.

If you need me to be more specific, I can. Just let me know what specific areas of FW usability you'd like to be addressed.

@soundaware, can you help with M1Pro pricing?

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #569 of 1,094
You're very helpful as usual, Nik. As I love the analoguey sound of the P1, I think I will like the Esther as what you have described it. Folder browsing is not a problem for me. I got used to it after owning the Studio V3 prior to P1. I even use that with the P1 despite of its very reliable fw. Btw, I just have to repeat the question if Penon is a reliable Esther retailer? Or where is a good place to buy one in case I decide? This goes to soundaware, Nik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back