Sound worse after burn in
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CoCostanza

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

Well I bought my Onkyo Dp-x1 for a week ago and the sound was very clear, good seperation and spacious. And I tought it is going to get even better with burn in.
Two days ago I stopped being carefull with the burn in process and let the device run nonstop. Today (its been playing for 35h with no paus) I tought I give it a try and listen to see if theres been a change. And omg, the sound is really really really bad. Seperation, clarity and that black background is totally gone. All voices sound like you are listening to a cheap broken earbuds. Bass has zero control and is all over the place.
Im panicing!
Have I ruined it by let it run for 35h in a straight? A defect device? What to do?

Any help would be appreciated!

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 16
Give it some time, it may sound back to how you heard it initially at a different point in time. I doubt that a DAP can burn-in like that.

Perhaps initially you transitioned from a different setup and it sounded like you describe in comparison to a different system and your auditory system adjusted and didn't sound as significant as you initially recall.

Even how loud you listen changes at times due to your ear adjustment.

I think your ears can be influenced by what your ears listen to most before switch-over. Like if you listen to a punchy bass iem and listen to what you thought had ample bass headphones, it can sound less bass do to what your ears was listening to before. Same goes for treble tolerance. This why comparisons may not give consistant impressions.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 16
The only reasons that headphones could sound significantly different after using them would be 1) You overdrove them and blew them out (abuse) or 2) there was something wrong with them (defect). 1 isn't covered by warranty, 2 is. If it's 2, send them back and exchange them. Don't delay to see if they come back. You'll just let your exchange window piddle away that way.

To be honest, if I bought headphones and they changed noticeably, I'd return them whether they sounded better or if they sounded worse. I want the performance to be consistent. I don't want it shifting over time.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Give it some time, it may sound back to how you heard it initially at a different point in time. I doubt that a DAP can burn-in like that.

Perhaps initially you transitioned from a different setup and it sounded like you describe in comparison to a different system and your auditory system adjusted and didn't sound as significant as you initially recall.

Even how loud you listen changes at times due to your ear adjustment.

I think your ears can be influenced by what your ears listen to most before switch-over. Like if you listen to a punchy bass iem and listen to what you thought had ample bass headphones, it can sound less bass do to what your ears was listening to before. Same goes for treble tolerance. This why comparisons may not give consistant impressions.

Well I thought about that. But at the same time if it sounded bad the first time I heard it, I would have said that Im just not used to the sound. But It started with very good sound and now its not just worse, its really bad. I mean the bass is gone, could that rellay be my ear? Maybe it could I just dont know anymore.

Thanks for the answer anyway. I appreciate it.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 16
The only reasons that headphones could sound significantly different after using them would be 1) You overdrove them and blew them out (abuse) or 2) there was something wrong with them (defect). 1 isn't covered by warranty, 2 is. If it's 2, send them back and exchange them. Don't delay to see if they come back. You'll just let your exchange window piddle away that way.

To be honest, if I bought headphones and they changed noticeably, I'd return them whether they sounded better or if they sounded worse. I want the performance to be consistent. I don't want it shifting over time.

Oh actually im talking about a DAP and not headphones :)

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 16
If a DAP changes sound at all there is something seriously wrong with it. If you're sure it has changed and it isn't just expectation bias, a fault of your headphones, or earwax in your ears, I would definitely send it back for exchange. Solid state stuff should never change. It shouldn't even need burn in.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 16
The only reason you should need to burn in a solid state decide like a DAP is to weed out early life failures (read about the "bathtub curve"). If there's a latent defect which will manifest in the first 48 hours of use, better to discover that during the return period by burning in, rather than weeks or possibly months later of light use. Sounds like you did discover a fault, so that's mission accomplished.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 16
The only reason you should need to burn in a solid state decide like a DAP is to weed out early life failures (read about the "bathtub curve"). If there's a latent defect which will manifest in the first 48 hours of use, better to discover that during the return period by burning in, rather than weeks or possibly months later of light use. Sounds like you did discover a fault, so that's mission accomplished.

I know. But then you see stuff like this https://goo.gl/images/ukF8Nr

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Can’t follow your link, but just because someone says something on the internet, it doesn’t mean that they know what they’re talking about. It’s up to the reader to do the research and think for himself so he can parse what he’s reading.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Can’t follow your link, but just because someone says something on the internet, it doesn’t mean that they know what they’re talking about. It’s up to the reader to do the research and think for himself so he can parse what he’s reading.

It’s a link to a Sony DAP that claims to need 200 hours of burn in to sound it’s best. Not even an attempt to justify why that might be (other than what’s unsaid, you’ll probably be past your return window...)

Edit, reading a little further, the claim is made that the capacitors need to “age”. Maybe they are filled with cheese or whisky.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 16
It’s a link to a Sony DAP that claims to need 200 hours of burn in to sound it’s best. Not even an attempt to justify why that might be (other than what’s unsaid, you’ll probably be past your return window...)

Edit, reading a little further, the claim is made that the capacitors need to “age”. Maybe they are filled with cheese or whisky.

But why would Sony lie?

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 16
But why would Sony lie?

To convince you not to return something you may realize isn’t audibly any better than an equally capable product that’s much less expensive

To encourage you to expect something to get better and support the placebo effect

To suggest that you burn it in long enough that your period to return it for a refund expires

If electronics really needed to be burned in to sound their best, the manufacturers would either do it prior to shipping or be able to supply measurements showing audible improvement from OOB to “burnt”

TL, DR : To sell product and avoid returns.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 16
But why would Sony lie?
"All marketers tell stories. And if they do it right, we believe them"

if you have any reason to doubt that your device works properly, I strongly suggest to send it back while it's still under warranty.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 16

Definitely cheese in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back