Sound Science thread for songs you can't get out of your head
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #91 of 137
George and Paul and Ringo liked it, in fact George produced the Rutles special... but John didn't like it. He wasn't fond of the depiction of Yoko as a Nazi.

As stated in post #1 of this thread, by me:

The only requirement for this thread is that you link to a song you can't get out of your head. Except for the other requirement, which is that must you have fun. It's supposed to be cathartic to post the song you can't get out of your head. The song does not have to be good. Many bad songs may get stuck in your head, as well as many good songs. There does not have to be a reason you cannot get it out of your head. It can be any kind of music, just so long as the tune is stuck in your head. There is nothing serious about this thread, except that the song must be seriously stuck in your head. One song per post, no more, no less. Thank you.

Or maybe you’re just too big time to play by the rules!! :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #92 of 137
Just letting you know that Paul liked it. John was the one who didn't.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #93 of 137
Just letting you know that Paul liked it. John was the one who didn't.

Are you sure? Because I think you might be wrong. But it really doesn’t matter. This is the fun thread, not another Misstra Know-it-all thread. Please, let’s keep it that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles :

John Lennon loved the film and refused to return the videotape and soundtrack he was given for approval. He told Innes, however, that "Get Up and Go" was too close to the Beatles' "Get Back" and to be careful not to be sued by ATV Music, owners of the Beatles catalogue copyright at the time. The song was consequently omitted from the 1978 vinyl LP soundtrack.[citation needed]

Paul McCartney, who had just released his own album, London Town, always answered, "No comment." According to Innes: "He had a dinner at some awards thing at the same table as Eric one night and Eric said it was a little frosty."[7] Idle claimed McCartney changed his mind because his wife Linda thought it was funny.[8] McCartney also warmed up to the film when he learned that Idle was from Wallasey, opposite Liverpool. According to Idle, he said “Hey, Linda, it's okay, he's a Scouse, he's one of us!”[9]

More, as I wander the interwebs, fact-checking myself—

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/TheRutles :

John Lennon loved All You Need Is Cash and refused to return the videotape and soundtrack he was given for approval. His only reservation initially seemed to be how the Yoko Ono analogue was all but stated to be a literal Nazi, but was relieved when Ono herself found it hilarious.
According to Eric Idle's liner notes, featured on Rhino's DVD release, Paul McCartney had some reservations (reportedly mostly due to how Dirk McQuickly is portrayed in the "Let's Be Natural" sequence), but his wife Linda convinced him to enjoy it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077147/trivia/ :

In his "memoir" available on the DVD, Eric Idle mentions what The Beatles thought of the movie. According to Idle, George Harrison was very supportive and encouraged him. Paul McCartney disapproved at first, but relented when he learned that Idle grew up near Liverpool; his wife Linda always loved it. Ringo Starr liked the happier scenes, but felt the scenes that mimicked sadder times hit too close. John Lennon (along with Yoko Ono) adored it and refused to return the videotape and soundtrack he was given for approval. Lennon also told Neil Innes that "Get Up and Go" was too similar to "Get Back", and to be careful not to be sued by ATV Music, owners of the Beatles catalogue's copyright at the time. The song was consequently omitted from the 1978 vinyl LP soundtrack.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #96 of 137
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #97 of 137

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #103 of 137

Creeds: Push up. I link the one with the lyrics because they're so meaningful and complicated. Those days I can't walk 10 seconds without the melody playing in my head and me poorly attempting to whistle it.
You're welcome.

This summer, I was on a loop with Hope by Nate F..omething.

The "30 years of ..." series around 4.15mn, that got me good for a few weeks.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #104 of 137
Buffalo Tales (aka Wes Carr) - Diamonds.

This is annoying as it was in my head when I bought the Album 'Roadtrip Confessions' when it was released years ago. Recently I found my Cowon Plenue D2 floating in pocket after a severe storm, so, whilst trying to decide which new DAP to buy I charged up my old Plenue D. I hit play and voila it was playing and thus it's in my head again. It's a melancholic cover of Rihannas' song and this version makes complete sense to me.

Lyrically, it never felt like a rousing love song to me at all but more about the loss of a loved one.

The Album 'Roadtrip Confessions' is extraordinarily beautiful & intimate.​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back