Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #301 of 609
Grateful Dead, Kraftwerk (I am one of those rare few who prefers their first 4 or 5 albums (depending on whether you count Tone Float as the actual debut)) Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree!), Booka Shade, Sun Ra what??!? This is my jam! You guys have great taste in music.

Lately I've been digging the more cinematic parts of my collection with Ennio Morricone, Lalo Schifrin, Vladimir Cosma and similar artists in high rotation and was wondering whether you guys know of Alain Goraguer? He did a soundtrack for a cult french cartoon called La Planete Sauvage and it is quite simply wonderful!
Symphonic funk? Shaft at the theatre? Who knows but it sure is funky and delightfully enigmatic at the same time.
Sadly I am without a link to a proper hifi streaming service, so I guess a mere jootoob clip will have to suffice.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #302 of 609
Since all I can see is Jazz or Soul in this thread let me introduce you to some innovative EDM that plays with the rhythmic expectations of the listener and will put your listening equipment under heavy stress (I'm struggling to make my sub sound right with this).

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #303 of 609
I agree with you 100%. Those Glen Gray Casaloma Orchestra recordings are beautifully recorded. I think the reason they sound so good is because they were recorded at Capitol Records. The sound quality of the early stereo coming out of Capitol was unmatched. If you like those, check out Billy May's solo stuff too. Lots of his signature slurping brass! Another great recording like this is Benny Goodman in HiFi. Lately I've been going through a Buddy Rich phase. He has a lot of great recordings too.

I have heard some of Billy May's other recording and,of course, Buddy Rich.

One of Capital Records greatest releases was the Nat King Cole Story (1961), which was a re-recording of Nat King Coles catalog in modern stereo. It is beautifully done and unfortunately he died a few years later. What a voice he had.

As a child in the late 1960s and early 1970s my Grandmother gave me a number of Pickwick/33 records, which were budget price Capital re-releases. They were of the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and others. Influenced my taste in music from an early age.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #304 of 609
The other day I got a DVD-A called Inside The Music: The Crooners. It's a multichannel remix of old Capitol pop vocalists. It has a surround version of Martin's Aint That a Kick in the Head that is astounding. There's another Inside The Music disc on Jazz which has some incredible stuff too.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #305 of 609
Lately I've been digging the more cinematic parts of my collection with Ennio Morricone, Lalo Schifrin, Vladimir Cosma and similar artists in high rotation and was wondering whether you guys know of Alain Goraguer? He did a soundtrack for a cult french cartoon called La Planete Sauvage and it is quite simply wonderful!
Symphonic funk? Shaft at the theatre? Who knows but it sure is funky and delightfully enigmatic at the same time.
Sadly I am without a link to a proper hifi streaming service, so I guess a mere jootoob clip will have to suffice.

Funny story about La Planete Sauvage (dubbed), when I was about ten my Father took myself and my Mother to see it. I remember my Mother being annoyed and felt it was not appropriate for a ten year old. They were separated at the time. Mostly I remember bits and pieces. Flash forward to my adult life and I had no idea what I had seen but wanted to check it out again. I scoured through IMDB for years to find it. Now it is one of my favorite movies. I agree with you about the soundtrack.

As far as soundtracks, The Hot Rock's is pretty cool. Early 1970s Jazz mostly written by Quincy Jones. Unfortunately it never made it onto CD. Another good one is Eric Serra's Subway soundtrack, especially the tracks, "It's Only Mystery" and "Guns and People", both sung by Arthur Simms

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #306 of 609
Been loving this thread lately, fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering where it will go. I've started listening to EDM lately, I really like it. Really like the Kraftwerk catalog, had never really listened to it before. Apple Music has a nice early EDM playlist for beginners like me in that genre. La Planete Sauvage is very cool indeed. And great for Halloween! Drawn out like an ache is supercool, I'll have to see what it does to my subwoofer when I get the chance. (Best thing I ever did for my hi-fi was add a nice subwoofer.) $6.50 for a ticket to the Grateful Dead in 1977. . . those were the days! I'm listening to the Glen Gray recordings right now--I guess we just always have to hit a balance between the real deal back in the 30s and 40s and what they can get out of it in terms of sound quality. "The Music of the Prohibition" is pretty cool. The Booka Shade is super-cool as well (I can listen to it on Spotify) but the best I have for it is neo 5.1 emulation. It's from 2017, so it is genuine young people music. Drawn out like an ache is from 2018. Awesomeness! I love to hear where the young people are going! I'll have to check out more Lorn. These are fascinating directions for music!

But Cholly, I have to tell you about Cholly. He's been through all of this. He has something to share with you. 1978 Parliament Funkadelic, one of their best periods.I love all the layers and how the song never stops evolving, there's always a curve ball around the corner. And real bass, and real drums, no programmed synths, real vocals, real guitars, skilled musicians across the board, spontaneous humor, I'm into that. And the feeling and the emotion and the beat! It just seems so. . . human. : )

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #307 of 609
Just to change gears completely, this music is a snippet of a program from a concert I went to see last Saturday. After searching around the net this was the performance that did the most justice to what I saw. . . it was truly breathtaking, one of the most beautiful moments in classical music I have seen. The melody and the interplay among the woodwinds as written and played seemed as perfect and sublime as anything could be. I have a better recording of it and they would not be hard to come by but the spirit of this performance gets the feeling across really well.

The music begins at 1:57, but the message is as timely as ever.

I'll leave everyone alone again for a while now, and spend some more time fixing a hole where the rain gets in, and stops my mind from wandering where it will go.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #308 of 609
Funny story about La Planete Sauvage (dubbed), when I was about ten my Father took myself and my Mother to see it. I remember my Mother being annoyed and felt it was not appropriate for a ten year old. They were separated at the time. Mostly I remember bits and pieces. Flash forward to my adult life and I had no idea what I had seen but wanted to check it out again. I scoured through IMDB for years to find it. Now it is one of my favorite movies. I agree with you about the soundtrack.

As far as soundtracks, The Hot Rock's is pretty cool. Early 1970s Jazz mostly written by Quincy Jones. Unfortunately it never made it onto CD. Another good one is Eric Serra's Subway soundtrack, especially the tracks, "It's Only Mystery" and "Guns and People", both sung by Arthur Simms
I love these little stories that go with certain albums. Thanks for the anecdote.
I must admit that I've never actually seen the movie...which is very odd as it seems like it should be right down my alley. Something to look forward to I guess.
Thanks for the recs btw.
For soundtracks I am very much a fan of both Tangerine Dream and Popol Vuh although the former made better albums outside of the moviescreen. Aguirre in particular has always been a fave of mine - the movie is equally brilliant imho.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #309 of 609
I've heard a lot of Artist / Bands in recent times that have been touted as having an Authentic Stax / Motown sound. This does, for once. It takes something special to move me from Metal genres. This is something special, to me at least :-

He's had one hell of a journey to where he is now. You can read about his story HERE

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #310 of 609
Great stuff, taffy2207, I gave that about 4 or 5 listens already. Great drums, great horns, great bass & guitar, and the voice is great. To me it seems like I can hear the different influences in the singing, Welsh, African, American R&B, and lots of depth in the feeling of it. I had never heard of him before.

It is really cool to hear the Motown sound recorded to modern standards of fidelity. Makes me wish we could hear all of it that way. I've read that the Motown house musicians included some of the true jazz greats. Amy Winehouse came to mind as I thought about it all. Motown sound, modern fidelity, great drums, great horns, great bass, cool background vocals, that chime and bell sound in the background, great singing, great voice, and, inadvertently, an ominous message for those with such depth of feeling, wherever it might come from, and their vulnerabilities.

I've heard a lot of Artist / Bands in recent times that have been touted as having an Authentic Stax / Motown sound. This does, for once. It takes something special to move me from Metal genres. This is something special, to me at least :-

He's had one hell of a journey to where he is now. You can read about his story HERE

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #311 of 609
I've been jumping into Schubert lately. Time for an impromptu. I don't know who that guy on the piano is.

Seriously, how does anyone write anything more beautiful than this? I just close my eyes and float away. And Horowitz takes it nice and slow so we can savor every note of it.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #312 of 609
Hot tip for classical music fans, the complete Columbia George Szell (106 CDs) has dropped to $130 at Amazon. Szell is one of the most conscientious and precise conductors who ever lived. His back catalog is packed with fantastic recordings, but being on Columbia, the LP pressings and CD releases could be pretty bad. This set sports a new remastering in fabulous sound, like the Bernstein NY boxes and the Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky set. At $1.30 a disc, you can't go wrong.

https://amzn.to/2qqbbFS

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #313 of 609
Hot tip for classical music fans, the complete Columbia George Szell (106 CDs) has dropped to $130 at Amazon. Szell is one of the most conscientious and precise conductors who ever lived. His back catalog is packed with fantastic recordings, but being on Columbia, the LP pressings and CD releases could be pretty bad. This set sports a new remastering in fabulous sound, like the Bernstein NY boxes and the Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky set. At $1.30 a disc, you can't go wrong.

https://amzn.to/2qqbbFS
I purchase this set right when it came out for about $180 and think it's worth every penny; $130 is an absolute steal! I'm almost finished listening to the whole set and it might be my favorite box set ever released

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #315 of 609
I had the Tie Me Kangaroo album when I was a kid. I loved Sun Arise and Boy It's Wet. Rolf Harris sure is a persona non gratis now. In the UK they censor him out of shows when they release them on DVD. He probably would go to jail if he was around today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back