Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
May 7, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #31 of 609
Ah, I misunderstood, my bad.

From the recording we cannot tell how improvisational it is. He may have worked it all out over a long period of time and simply be replaying it, rather than spontaneously improvising. This sounds like more of a put down than intended because even if it was all worked out, it would still demonstrate a great deal of talent even for a good adult professional with many years experience. If he can freely improvise with that level of sophistication though, then yes, that makes him special, even compared to the surprisingly gifted! My background was classical music though, so I'm not especially sensitive to all of the nuances of jazz.

You might like to try something like example below if you're into classical. Having a level of technical ability which puts you among the ranks of the elite soloists when just a child is truly extraordinary but what made my jaw really drop at the time was that her technical ability was not the end of the story but only a means to an end.

G

Jaw dropping indeed, literally took my breath away. For me, that performance is beyond art and closer to something spiritual.

May 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #32 of 609
Jaw dropping indeed, literally took my breath away. For me, that performance is beyond art and closer to something spiritual.

Yep and the more you know about violin playing the more ridiculous it is. All that perfect double stopping, those harmonics and none of it at the expense of the musicality. She was just 11 years old in that video, I wouldn't have believed it humanly possible had I not seen it.

G

May 7, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #33 of 609
Yep and the more you know about violin playing the more ridiculous it is. All that perfect double stopping, those harmonics and none of it at the expense of the musicality. She was just 11 years old in that video, I wouldn't have believed it humanly possible had I not seen it.

G

I have to make an inference from playing guitar, and having fiddled with violin a few times just to try it (pun intended). I struggled to get a clean note out of the violin.

When we look at the outer limits of what human beings can do, individually and collectively, it's really pretty incredible. Witnessing such things makes me glad to be part of the human species, and at least partly makes up for the uglier side of humanity.

May 7, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #34 of 609
It's not common. The problem with changing the speed of something in the visuals is that you've then got to change the audio too or loose sync between the visuals and the audio and typically the video editor will NOT touch the audio at all in a music video, just cut the video to the music. This doesn't mean changing the speed of the visuals never happens, it does, because if it's done in certain places you can get away with loosing sync for a bit.
I meant having the singer sync on a music track with a different speed(so he'd have to practice moving his lips at the wrong speed. so that once the video is aligned back to the original speed of the music, the movements have a special feel. it's just something I remember seeing done a long time ago, and maybe it's was just a one off. just asked because it came to me randomly.

May 7, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #35 of 609
I meant having the singer sync on a music track with a different speed(so he'd have to practice moving his lips at the wrong speed. so that once the video is aligned back to the original speed of the music, the movements have a special feel. it's just something I remember seeing done a long time ago, and maybe it's was just a one off. just asked because it came to me randomly.

Yes, that can be done but it's enormously time consuming and you don't get perfect sync. Now that's not a problem for a wacky music video but it's impractical and not very convincing if you're making a video which is supposed to be believed as a live studio recording. You'd probably get a better result using some of the latest CGI techniques but that would be v. expensive.

A good example of what I think you're suggesting would be Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel in the mid/late '80s.

G

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #36 of 609
Bandmates in Derrick and the Dominoes....Allman has some great solos on their album..a lot of people are surprised to find out its not all Clapton

An absolute must if you play blues guitar, to play along these two masters. A gem of a disc:

Jam #1 - 0:00
Jam #2 - 19:56
Jam #3 - 32:19
Jam #4 - 57:41
Jam #5 - 1:07:28
Jam #6 - 1:13:37

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #37 of 609
What a great recording. Except (and it’s super common from this era) the vocals sound just terrible. Not the singing, that’s amazing, but it’s like he’s overdriving the microphone and the recording engineers were just like “well I guess that’s how that’s going to be”.

I hear your distortion and will ask you to listen to this: (Vocals are ok, but the drums and other peaks are very distorted.)

This is an example that would play "great" on a (sorry) Mid-Fi TT.
But would sound quite terrible on digital.

May 10, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 609
May 12, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 609
Youshio Sai - Fuyu no Chikadō (1975)

Beautifully recorded acid rock from Japan. Yoshiko Sai's voice is like a cup of hot chocolate on a bitter, cold winter day. Strong, smooth and comforting.
She's is one of the few singers that actually makes me close my eyes and bop along involuntarily.
Listening to this song with my MSR7 or even my M40X is pure magic.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #40 of 609
Due to various comments all over head-fi, including here in this sub-forum, there's something I'm curious to check. When you see a music video like this, of a band performing/recording a song in a studio, do you believe it? Do you think that it's actually a video of the recording in progress? This question isn't aimed at you specifically colonelkernel8 but at anyone who cares to answer.

G

I would say yes, but the video was shot after the fact. I do think is was recorded like that. Some things maybe re-recorded and placed in there. She is lip syncing quite well though.
Song is balanced differently than the final version.

And I do like her very much, whoever said Radiohead is quite right though,

How about this one? Recorded live during filming?
These guys are def. having the most fun doing what they do. Just watching without sound makes me nod my head :)

Video:

Interview:

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #41 of 609
[1] I do think is was recorded like that. [1a] Some things maybe re-recorded and placed in there.
[2] How about this one? Recorded live during filming?

1. It couldn't have been recorded like that. As I explained "If the track had been recorded as we see in the video, there would have been significant spill of the drumkit (and other instruments) into the vocal mic and therefore the big reverb on the vocal would also include elements of the drumkit, which at the very least would blur/muddy the drumkit significantly. We don't hear that and almost certainly the vocals were recorded separately from the drumkit. There are other clues too, the cello and the high end of the piano for example, there should be piano spilling into the cello mic and therefore the hard left/right panning of the cello and high-end piano wouldn't work well. Most likely the strings were recorded on their own as well. If it had been recorded as an entire "performance" as we see on the video, the mix would sound way dirtier and muddier than the nice clear, well separated mix we actually hear."
1a. Placed in where? To re-record something and "place it in there", you have to remove what was placed in there before, and then replace it. That can't be done, or rather it can be done in some specific circumstances but not this one of those circumstances.

2. This example is much more difficult to tell. If the singer is in a different room/studio, then it could be possible, because:
A. The keyboard and all the guitars could all be DI'ed. Thereby allowing them all to be mixed as individual elements with no mic spill issues to contend with.
B. As everything except the singer (who would need to be in a different room) could be DI'ed, the only actual sound in the studio would be the drumkit, which could therefore be recorded and mixed as usual (IE. Recorded separately, on it's own).
C. All the musicians are wearing headphones, which means they could all have cue mixes to play/sing to, as there would be nothing other than the drumkit otherwise.

This doesn't mean that it was recorded as a (sort of) live performance, just that it could be possible, unlike the Brandi Carlile example.

G

May 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #42 of 609
... whoever said Radiohead is quite right though...
I started suspecting something while watching the "No Surprises" clip. :swimmer:

as a Muse fan, I think this video really shows their unique live energy.

May 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #43 of 609
The Lee Ritenour album I posted at the beginning of the thread is a live recording, and it is perfectly recorded. But that's because they recorded it in a Hollywood sound stage where they brought in a small audience and set up to record. There's a blu-ray with video of that performance. One of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard.

May 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #44 of 609
1. It couldn't have been recorded like that. As I explained "If the track had been recorded as we see in the video, there would have been significant spill of the drumkit (and other instruments) into the vocal mic and therefore the big reverb on the vocal would also include elements of the drumkit, which at the very least would blur/muddy the drumkit significantly. We don't hear that and almost certainly the vocals were recorded separately from the drumkit. There are other clues too, the cello and the high end of the piano for example, there should be piano spilling into the cello mic and therefore the hard left/right panning of the cello and high-end piano wouldn't work well. Most likely the strings were recorded on their own as well. If it had been recorded as an entire "performance" as we see on the video, the mix would sound way dirtier and muddier than the nice clear, well separated mix we actually hear."
1a. Placed in where? To re-record something and "place it in there", you have to remove what was placed in there before, and then replace it. That can't be done, or rather it can be done in some specific circumstances but not this one of those circumstances.

2. This example is much more difficult to tell. If the singer is in a different room/studio, then it could be possible, because:
A. The keyboard and all the guitars could all be DI'ed. Thereby allowing them all to be mixed as individual elements with no mic spill issues to contend with.
B. As everything except the singer (who would need to be in a different room) could be DI'ed, the only actual sound in the studio would be the drumkit, which could therefore be recorded and mixed as usual (IE. Recorded separately, on it's own).
C. All the musicians are wearing headphones, which means they could all have cue mixes to play/sing to, as there would be nothing other than the drumkit otherwise.

This doesn't mean that it was recorded as a (sort of) live performance, just that it could be possible, unlike the Brandi Carlile example.

G

Thanks. I really need to learn to slow down when listening, but more importantly; I must take time to write logical sentences, not off the top of my head :/

May 21, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #45 of 609
I would say yes, but the video was shot after the fact. I do think is was recorded like that. Some things maybe re-recorded and placed in there. She is lip syncing quite well though.
Song is balanced differently than the final version.

And I do like her very much, whoever said Radiohead is quite right though,

How about this one? Recorded live during filming?
These guys are def. having the most fun doing what they do. Just watching without sound makes me nod my head :)

Video:

Interview:

This is the work of someone that loves their job :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back