Sound Rhyme impression thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #2,341 of 2,483
the SR5 is amazing in details, vocales and treble, but the bass is a bit weak and shy,

btw 2 questios:

1- can bass be improved with different tips ?
2- does it benefit from using a balanced signal ? i run it off a btr7, so all i need is to switch to a 4.4 cable.
1. Narrow-bore tips work for me like @Uprox mentioned.
2. Unlikely on the BTR7. The SR5 doesn't require much power so going to a 4.4 connection with the same cable will just make you have to turn down the volume. However, if you can hear differences in cables then maybe a cable swap can improve bass.

I improved the bass a little with cable NiceHCK AceOrpheus. I use H570 tips not for the bass but for more opened sound.
Overall I think the tips with narrow hole can be used for less treble/more bass.
Interesting how our ears hear differently. When I connect the AceOrpheus to my Dunu Falcon Ultra, I lose bass, but mids/vocals become more forward. I agree on the narrow-bore tips though. Most of them work for me when I want more bass and less treble.

EQ and bass is powerful with SR5
I think the SR5 is pretty bass-light too so I always use them EQ'ed with a +4db low bass shelf.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,342 of 2,483
Interesting how our ears hear differently. When I connect the AceOrpheus to my Dunu Falcon Ultra, I lose bass, but mids/vocals become more forward. I agree on the narrow-bore tips though. Most of them work for me when I want more bass and less treble.
I meant bass becoming more clear, tight and punchy. :)
Quantity of bass is not better for most cases for me.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #2,343 of 2,483
Hi all, is there any way to reduce the static hissing noise of the sr8 at rest? I am running them through a 4.4mm cable through a qudelix 5k and a fiio k7. Thanks.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #2,344 of 2,483
Hi all, is there any way to reduce the static hissing noise of the sr8 at rest? I am running them through a 4.4mm cable through a qudelix 5k and a fiio k7. Thanks.
Hey, this is since the SR8 is very sensitive. Use low gain on your amp, and change to 3.5mm if you have that, most amps have lower noise floor on single ended.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,346 of 2,483
Change terminator to 3.5, sr8 is easy to drive but very sensitive. Or you can find iematch 4.4 to fix
Thanks all. Might try an iematch 4.4 to see if it solves the issue. Will let you know.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #2,349 of 2,483
Sr5 in da house 🤘

Thanks to my friend @DarkZenith 👍

One word : excellent 😎
Two words : really excellent 😎😎
Three words : well, really excellent 😎😎😎
Four words : I mean, really excellent 😎😎😎😎
(...) 🥳

More to come but, for a little amount of money (our world, here... 😅), difficult to find any flaw. 👏
so...

Sound Rhyme Sr5: Beyond atomic value for money! ^_^

So everything is already more or less said in the title :dt880smile:

We are going to talk about this:

https://penonaudio.com/sound-rhyme-sr5.html
+
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050020 ... 4918759%21

Disclaimer :

What I look for in my hi-fi listening are products whose general behavior and sound are closest to the sensations of live music. It must be lively, as dynamic as possible, with nuanced transients (from murmurs to extreme violence). The questions of whether it's "neutral" or "straight" or "transparent" don't interest me at all. What I look for are balanced and homogeneous products, both in bandwidth and texture. I'm also interested in "definition" and "resolution": it has to be as high as possible, but still natural. It's like a TV with too high or not enough sharpness. You have to find the right gradient. So I like “on the razor’s edge” products. You also need material, harmonic richness. Overtly analytical sounds don't interest me at all... because they aren't realistic. The same goes for the opposite, when I think it's too "round", or too "warm", or lacking "brilliance" and "bite" (these are purely musical notions by the way) . The stories of "musicality" also seem completely abstract to me...

Anyway, this is what I'm looking for. If a recording, a piece, a track is aggressive, then it should sound like that. If it's soft, well it must sound "soft", if it is... we will understand.

Sound Rhyme Sr5 :

They were kindly sent to me by @DarkZenith so I could get an idea.

The Sr5s were sent to me without tips and with this silver-plated copper cable, infused with graphene, KBEAR- 8 Core as a reminder (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002072808894.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.1c23556dC87iPn&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!€ 136,00!€ 70,73!!!146.09!75.97!@210386d117033537929366895e7d4e!12000018644820364!sh!FR!134918759!).

So I don't know the tips delivered with the Sr5, nor the stock cable. Nor the rest of the packaging, which seems well supplied. Remember that the official new price is about 149 bucks.

For my listening, I used my reference tips, with total success:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358

And this DAP, ditto (LF digital filter: the most “neutral” audio curve):

https://www.aune-store.com/en/aune-m1p-music-player_110205_1226/

Aesthetically, the Sr5s are quite discreet... although the faceplates react to UV and glow with a green light in the dark:

Otherwise about manufacturing quality, finish and apparent solidity, it is frankly excellent. No other terms. It exudes quality. We'll see over time, but honestly, the Sr5s have nothing to be ashamed of compared to products worth dozens of times their price. It's even quite the opposite, sometimes...

The shape is pseudo-custom type and it is among the best that I have tried, whatever the prices, an excellent comfort and an impeccable fit and seal. No worries in transports, it insulates very well.

Let the music play :

A first word to describe what I hear: EXCELLENT
Two more words: NOT ULTIMATE
Three more words: BUT NOT FAR
Four more words: GIANT KILLERS? NO BUT...
Five more words: PERFECT JACK OF ALL TRADES
Let me explain :beerchug:

“EXCELLENT” because these Sr5s have the absolutely necessary basis (because it is non-negotiable), from my point of view to please and satisfy me: it is homogeneous and coherent, generally balanced. Balanced not only at the level of the target curve with, to quickly summarize, a very well negotiated "U" audio curve. It's "balanced warm" with very good subs, a bass present and striking but without being intrusive, present low-mids, with body (I'm fed up with all these products which dig into the low mids to give an illusion of great cleanliness), midrange that is convincing but not "magical", but convincing because it's balanced, neither really forward or the other way around, and extended highs, without being exceptionally smooth, but which do the job . Coherent because the dynamic driver, which sends really well, with great power, articulation, texture plays in unison with the armatures: It is powerful, detailed, clear and open, without hiatus, for the entire restitution. Homogeneous because all the qualities which form the whole of a restitution are well represented, with very beautiful dynamics, a beautiful impact, rumble at the bottom, brilliance at the top. Both the definition and the resolution are very good, and this for all registers, from very low to high (but not "very high": I will come back to that).

NOT ULTIMATE because yes, if I compare them to my Ringos, or to a lesser extent to my FH9s ("dsw tuned": important precision ; but not for the same reasons), yes we can find more defined, resolved, open (both but especially the Ringo), more powerful, or in any case breathing on a larger scale (the FH9), more holographic (the Ringo, to a lesser extent the FH9 dsw tuned), more subtle and refined (ditto ). Well, in short, we can - from my point of view - find "better". But.... Ringo plus their Ares S Founders Edition magic cable, it's 1500 bucks + 1000 bucks = 2500 bucks... vs 220 bucks Sr5 plus Kz cable. And as for the FH9 "dsw tuned, new it's 600 bucks, plus the same cable or 1600 bucks and besides some mods....

BUT NOT FAR: because on the other hand, the Ringos represent for me my (almost) absolute pinnacle. So, do the Sr5s plus their Kz cable replace them? No. But... on the other hand, when my hearing is used to Sr5, nothing shocks me. Better yet, I want to string together the musical tracks in shuffle mode, to “see” how it will sound. Which is a very good sign. It is - to take this example again - by going back to the Ringo (which I did several days after having only listened to the Sr5) that I see what the latter bring to me, and why it is my personal pinnacle. And on the other hand, and in particular since the Ares S FE cable and the DAP m1p... I don't have much to put in front of the Ringo
that satisfies me as much. Including the Erlkoning, which, I find, still lacks a little charm. Maybe the APX ? 6000 bucks... :deadhorse:

GIANT KILLERS? NO, BUT...: a little bit anyway... Because if I refer this time to other pairs of intra which tick my boxes less than the Ringo, the Erlkoning (also the Aure Elixir or the Mentawai "Mars ") or to a lesser extent the FH9 Dsw Tuned... Well for me the Sr5s do better than many, many, many, many products that I have listened to, products which can also be offered at indecent prices ... I don't want to mention anything (we're going to spare hum... sensibilities), but I have a list as long as my two arms of products (including so said "top products") that I'm thinking of, and which to my ears sound very "typical" : non-homogeneous qualities, excessive specialization in terms of musical styles that they are supposed to best reproduce (like: "it's killer for RAP or metal but it's zero pointed with "classical", etc.).

PERFECT JACK OF ALL TRADES: fits perfectly with the Sr5. They are capable of doing everything, and very well, in terms of reproducing any musical style, with a lot of talent. But on the other hand, we will never be in the exception, the unique, the.... But... 149 bucks ladies and gentlemen... 149 bucks and we are a bit in the case of the a small supercharged car which will beat from a standing start some pretentious Ferraris...

In terms of what satisfies me less, it lacks "by itself" (and not just "in comparison to") a little air, a little finesse, and it remains a fairly safe tuning, although excellent, we will have understood. It's not holographic and the sound image is a bit compact. This lateralizes very well, but it lacks depth and “sound layers”. The separation could be better.

But :

1/ 149 bucks. Repeat.
2/ These are really flicks in an ocean of excellent things... "by themselves". And without even comparing anything to anything.

So "by themselves", these Sr5s are... excellent.

Dsw Approved. :beerchug:

Sorry for my spelling and syntax errors.........................................

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,350 of 2,483
so...

+

Disclaimer :

What I look for in my hi-fi listening are products whose general behavior and sound are closest to the sensations of live music. It must be lively, as dynamic as possible, with nuanced transients (from murmurs to extreme violence). The questions of whether it's "neutral" or "straight" or "transparent" don't interest me at all. What I look for are balanced and homogeneous products, both in bandwidth and texture. I'm also interested in "definition" and "resolution": it has to be as high as possible, but still natural. It's like a TV with too high or not enough sharpness. You have to find the right gradient. So I like “on the razor’s edge” products. You also need material, harmonic richness. Overtly analytical sounds don't interest me at all... because they aren't realistic. The same goes for the opposite, when I think it's too "round", or too "warm", or lacking "brilliance" and "bite" (these are purely musical notions by the way) . The stories of "musicality" also seem completely abstract to me...

Anyway, this is what I'm looking for. If a recording, a piece, a track is aggressive, then it should sound like that. If it's soft, well it must sound "soft", if it is... we will understand.

Sound Rhyme Sr5 :

The Sr5s were sent to me without tips and with this silver-plated copper cable, infused with graphene, KBEAR- 8 Core as a reminder (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002072808894.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.1c23556dC87iPn&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!€ 136,00!€ 70,73!!!146.09!75.97!@210386d117033537929366895e7d4e!12000018644820364!sh!FR!134918759!).

So I don't know the tips delivered with the Sr5, nor the stock cable. Nor the rest of the packaging, which seems well supplied. Remember that the official new price is about 149 bucks.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358

Aesthetically, the Sr5s are quite discreet... although the faceplates react to UV and glow with a green light in the dark:

Otherwise about manufacturing quality, finish and apparent solidity, it is frankly excellent. No other terms. It exudes quality. We'll see over time, but honestly, the Sr5s have nothing to be ashamed of compared to products worth dozens of times their price. It's even quite the opposite, sometimes...

The shape is pseudo-custom type and it is among the best that I have tried, whatever the prices, an excellent comfort and an impeccable fit and seal. No worries in transports, it insulates very well.

Let the music play :

“EXCELLENT” because these Sr5s have the absolutely necessary basis (because it is non-negotiable), from my point of view to please and satisfy me: it is homogeneous and coherent, generally balanced. Balanced not only at the level of the target curve with, to quickly summarize, a very well negotiated "U" audio curve. It's "balanced warm" with very good subs, a bass present and striking but without being intrusive, present low-mids, with body (I'm fed up with all these products which dig into the low mids to give an illusion of great cleanliness), midrange that is convincing but not "magical", but convincing because it's balanced, neither really forward or the other way around, and extended highs, without being exceptionally smooth, but which do the job . Coherent because the dynamic driver, which sends really well, with great power, articulation, texture plays in unison with the armatures: It is powerful, detailed, clear and open, without hiatus, for the entire restitution. Homogeneous because all the qualities which form the whole of a restitution are well represented, with very beautiful dynamics, a beautiful impact, rumble at the bottom, brilliance at the top. Both the definition and the resolution are very good, and this for all registers, from very low to high (but not "very high": I will come back to that).

NOT ULTIMATE because yes, if I compare them to my Ringos, or to a lesser extent to my FH9s ("dsw tuned": important precision ; but not for the same reasons), yes we can find more defined, resolved, open (both but especially the Ringo), more powerful, or in any case breathing on a larger scale (the FH9), more holographic (the Ringo, to a lesser extent the FH9 dsw tuned), more subtle and refined (ditto ). Well, in short, we can - from my point of view - find "better". But.... Ringo plus their Ares S Founders Edition magic cable, it's 1500 bucks + 1000 bucks = 2500 bucks... vs 220 bucks Sr5 plus Kz cable. And as for the FH9 "dsw tuned, new it's 600 bucks, plus the same cable or 1600 bucks and besides some mods....

BUT NOT FAR: because on the other hand, the Ringos represent for me my (almost) absolute pinnacle. So, do the Sr5s plus their Kz cable replace them? No. But... on the other hand, when my hearing is used to Sr5, nothing shocks me. Better yet, I want to string together the musical tracks in shuffle mode, to “see” how it will sound. Which is a very good sign. It is - to take this example again - by going back to the Ringo (which I did several days after having only listened to the Sr5) that I see what the latter bring to me, and why it is my personal pinnacle. And on the other hand, and in particular since the Ares S FE cable and the DAP m1p... I don't have much to put in front of the Ringo
that satisfies me as much. Including the Erlkoning, which, I find, still lacks a little charm. Maybe the APX ? 6000 bucks... :deadhorse:

GIANT KILLERS? NO, BUT...: a little bit anyway... Because if I refer this time to other pairs of intra which tick my boxes less than the Ringo, the Erlkoning (also the Aure Elixir or the Mentawai "Mars ") or to a lesser extent the FH9 Dsw Tuned... Well for me the Sr5s do better than many, many, many, many products that I have listened to, products which can also be offered at indecent prices ... I don't want to mention anything (we're going to spare hum... sensibilities), but I have a list as long as my two armq of products (including so aid "top products")that I'm thinking of, and which to my ears sound very "typical" : non-homogeneous qualities, excessive specialization in terms of musical styles that they are supposed to best reproduce (like: "it's killer for RAP or metal but it's zero pointed with "classical", etc.).

PERFECT JACK OF ALL TRADES: fits perfectly with the Sr5. They are capable of doing everything, and very well, in terms of reproducing any musical style, with a lot of talent. But on the other hand, we will never be in the exception, the unique, the.... But... 149 bucks ladies and gentlemen... 149 bucks and we are a bit in the case of the a small supercharged car which will beat from a standing start some pretentious Ferraris...

In terms of what satisfies me less, it lacks "by itself" (and not just "in comparison to") a little air, a little finesse, and it remains a fairly safe tuning, although excellent, we will have understood. It's not holographic and the sound image is a bit compact. This lateralizes very well, but it lacks depth and “sound layers”. The separation could be better.

But :

1/ 149 bucks. Repeat.
2/ These are really flicks in an ocean of excellent things... "by themselves". And without even comparing anything to anything.

Sorry for my spelling and syntax errors.........................................
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I find them more of a W shape which is why I sold my Ascension because I could slightly EQ the upper mids down on the SR5 and it smoothens them out to Ascension level. So, for $550 less they are basically the same IMO and unless you are doing super critical listening, which I typically don’t, then in my experience there is hardly a difference.

The Ascensions are awesome but I’m of the opinion Soundrhyme introduced the SR5 as an absolute market disruptor at a low price to “introduce” us to the brand with a BANG and they have some amazing offerings at higher prices including the SR8. However, to my ears nothing sniffs the value of the SR5. Of course, YMMV but I for one am super happy that my favorite set is $150 and I have bought and sold higher end stuff (all $750 or lower) so I don’t have to continue to climb unless I go multi-kilobuck after striking gold

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,351 of 2,483
my two cents about SR5 : when I found a synergy in the source chain and with right amount of EQ it unlocked secret level of SR5; when you pump more power and EQ on an amp it does wonders; now it has more bass and air than any other of my IEMs; I think SR did something amazing in making SR5 very susceptible to EQ which is not a possible with DTE900

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,352 of 2,483
so...

+

Disclaimer :

Sound Rhyme Sr5 :

Let the music play :

GIANT KILLERS? NO, BUT...: a little bit anyway... Because if I refer this time to other pairs of intra which tick my boxes less than the Ringo, the Erlkoning (also the Aure Elixir or the Mentawai "Mars ") or to a lesser extent the FH9 Dsw Tuned... Well for me the Sr5s do better than many, many, many, many products that I have listened to, products which can also be offered at indecent prices ... I don't want to mention anything (we're going to spare hum... sensibilities), but I have a list as long as my two arms of products (including so said "top products") that I'm thinking of, and which to my ears sound very "typical" : non-homogeneous qualities, excessive specialization in terms of musical styles that they are supposed to best reproduce (like: "it's killer for RAP or metal but it's zero pointed with "classical", etc.).

But :

1/ 149 bucks. Repeat.

Great review! I have SR7 and feel it's one of the diamonds in the rough of this hobby, over saturated with releases. Holds its own against all of my iems and will probably go for more with SR!

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #2,353 of 2,483
Great review! I have SR7 and feel it's one of the diamonds in the rough of this hobby, over saturated with releases. Holds its own against all of my iems and will probably go for more with SR!
So agree 👍

Diamonds in the rough of this hobby, over satured with releases...

Well said. 👏

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #2,354 of 2,483
I have been in the shadows of this hobby for a bit now. Trying to avoid impulsive purchases, knowing what was to come

Currently have something very special on the way
1/1 unit, which started off as a personal retune of DTE900, but quickly became it's own, unique product
Configuration is now 2DD (2xDTE900 DD, in a cone-to-cone 'isobaric' config) DD, 6 Knowles BA and 4 Sonion ESTs

No name yet as the tuning is still up for debate
If I deem it worthy, I will be sending it out to two fellow gentlemen @Leonarfd and @Erkil for testing!
Design is obviously my own custom, but I am quite fond of the result! Rumors say the red one looks less orange in person 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-140910.png
    Screenshot_20240227-140910.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240227-141014.png
    Screenshot_20240227-141014.png
    827.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240227-141027.png
    Screenshot_20240227-141027.png
    767.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread