Sound Rhyme impression thread
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,546 of 2,540
Hey Scuba -- Nice observations btw the SR8 and NP! Also cool that you've received the SA6 Mk2... How is the low end (SA6) compared to the SR8? It's been on my radar for a while, but have been purchasing too many other items lately, unfortunately.

I haven’t listened critically yet - I try with new sets to just get to know them for a few days without much thought on comparisons. I’ll do an a/b over the weekend though!

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,547 of 2,540
I’m quite interested to see a comparison between the new Penon Turbo and the Duno SA6 Mk2, since they’re both all BA sets and equally have 6 drivers each. They’re also fairly closely priced and you can by both iem’s direct from Penon (as well as the SR8).

Yes I’m curious about Turbo also and definitely one on my radar… likewise the Softears Studio 4 which is being well received from impressions I’ve read.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,548 of 2,540
@SweetCans928 How would you compare Aurora and the SR8?
What's better in Bass /Mid /Treble and other noticeable differences?

It depends on which configuration the SR8 is in. I previously said that SR8 sounded most like Aurora in the 1-0 config, but I think it's more accurate to say 0-0 sounds most similar to Aurora. In that config, SR8 has a bit more treble emphasis than Aurora while still being pretty laid back, and with a bit less warmth and similar mid-bass quantity. They have similar note weight and neither is thick nor thin(Aurora is a little thicker). The Aurora has awesome DD bass that probably some people will prefer, if not for the inherent characteristics of a DD, then maybe for the increased subbass emphasis and rumble. Bass just might be Aurora's best feature. SR8 sounds more spacious to me but Aurora is no slouch. In the 1-1 config it's a completely different story since SR8 becomes like a party on your head. In the 0-1 config SR8 is a lot brighter, without being too much(for me). SR8 has more of a wow factor while Aurora really grew on me, almost to the point where I feel seduced by it haha. Both are very very musical and punch way above their weight imo.

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #1,549 of 2,540
SR8 leans smoother and as such not quite as resolving for micro details. That can be a pro or a con depending on what you’re looking for really - there’s a lot to be said for a smooth, relaxed set that is still competent from a detailed perspective… allows for long listening sessions without fatigue in my experience. NP is in my opinion more detailed, more energetic and ultimately I can’t listen for anywhere near as long as SR8. I’m still getting to know SA6 MK2 - another fantastic set and I’d say again it’s more airy and a touch more detailed vs SR8 but I’m not sure I’d listen for longer sessions… need more time on it though.
SA6II is more detailed than SR8? That’s… disappointing. I reviewed SA6II in the past and found that it is quite detailed, but not quite kilobuck yet. Internet made be think that SR8 and NP are multi-kilobuck killers.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,550 of 2,540
SA6II is more detailed than SR8? That’s… disappointing. I reviewed SA6II in the past and found that it is quite detailed, but not quite kilobuck yet. Internet made be think that SR8 and NP are multi-kilobuck killers.

I think - note my caveat of not having had enough time as yet! It may be that it's more airy, and gives that impression - as such I need more time. Overall, my preference is SR8 so far - that being ahead of SA6 MK2 and Neon Pro for various subjective reasons.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,551 of 2,540
It depends on which configuration the SR8 is in. I previously said that SR8 sounded most like Aurora in the 1-0 config, but I think it's more accurate to say 0-0 sounds most similar to Aurora. In that config, SR8 has a bit more treble emphasis than Aurora while still being pretty laid back, and with a bit less warmth and similar mid-bass quantity. They have similar note weight and neither is thick nor thin(Aurora is a little thicker). The Aurora has awesome DD bass that probably some people will prefer, if not for the inherent characteristics of a DD, then maybe for the increased subbass emphasis and rumble. Bass just might be Aurora's best feature. SR8 sounds more spacious to me but Aurora is no slouch. In the 1-1 config it's a completely different story since SR8 becomes like a party on your head. In the 0-1 config SR8 is a lot brighter, without being too much(for me). SR8 has more of a wow factor while Aurora really grew on me, almost to the point where I feel seduced by it haha. Both are very very musical and punch way above their weight imo.

I have yet to try any of the switches on SR8, I really must over the weekend - I've been quite happy with default since they arrived. I now have Aurora too, and while I didn't have a great start, they have grown on me a lot today... interesting to hear where they land versus SR8 etc but already I'd say mostly complementary.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #1,552 of 2,540
I have yet to try any of the switches on SR8, I really must over the weekend - I've been quite happy with default since they arrived. I now have Aurora too, and while I didn't have a great start, they have grown on me a lot today... interesting to hear where they land versus SR8 etc but already I'd say mostly complementary.
Not to start a fire, but I'd guess Aurora will improve a bit with a good 50+ hour burn in.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,553 of 2,540
Not to start a fire, but I'd guess Aurora will improve a bit with a good 50+ hour burn in.

Yes an area of scepticism for me, yet they've improved significantly since they arrived on Thursday - and indeed they've been playing around the clock.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #1,554 of 2,540
Yes an area of scepticism for me, yet they've improved significantly since they arrived on Thursday - and indeed they've been playing around the clock.
So did my SR7, and every other DD set I have!

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,555 of 2,540

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,556 of 2,540
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,557 of 2,540

I think SR8 is a kilobuck killer. Nothing wrong with it's resolution either, granted I haven't heard the SA6II. I think it's important to appreciate how the switches can alter perception of detail too. 1-1, while dynamic doesn't have the same perceived detail across the midrange as 0-1.

NP also competes at a higher price point. If you slapped a trendy brand name on it with a strong marketing budget, I do think you could see it sold for $2k but that's just my opinion...I think it's just a reminder of the inflation at the top end of the market right now.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #1,558 of 2,540
I think SR8 is a kilobick killer. Nothing wrong with it's resolution either, granted I haven't heard the SA6II. I think it's important to appreciate how the switches can alter perception of detail too. 1-1, while dynamic doesn't have the same perceived detail across the midrange as 0-1.
Sounds like how HBB did it when reviewing the Neon Pro, evaluation done with bass switch on as he lowed the euphonic thick low end. But this comes at a cost of taking over the vocal range also.

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #1,559 of 2,540
My MEST MKII has superior micro-details than Dunu SA6II
And SR8 kills both of them when it comes to micro-details

Jul 16, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,560 of 2,540
I’m looking forward to spending time with my SR8 and comparing with other recent arrivals such as SA6 MKII and Aurora. I’ve gone a bit OTT lately and have less time than ideal to actually listen to these sets 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back