Sound quality versus size
Sep 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. Sorry, but I am yet another noob with the same question you have heard a thousand times: I am looking at buying a DAP and need some advice.
I have about 200 cd's that I want to rip in a lossless format. I assumed that Ipod Classic would be the way to go, due to size requirements.
I then ripped a CD using Windows media player to WMA lossless. That is idiot-proof!
tongue.gif

It even got the album art! The best part is the file size which is 319MB, including album art. All done in a little over three minutes (old computer).

So it appears that my total requirements are going to less than 60 gig when I pull out the songs that I will not bother ripping.

Since WMA is SO simple I figured I would explore Zune just to make my life easier. Now it turns out that ZUNE is dropping HD players to concentrate on flash. Flash won't do for me until the flash capacity doubles one more time to 64GB.

Lastly I would like to get a product that works with docks. One relatively HQ to hook up with my stereo at home, so no more loading CD's into the changer. I would also like a speaker dock at work to play my tunes with a decent sound in my office.

NO interest in videos or any social stuff. Just want to play to music with good to great quality, based on what is available (and of course budget, which is probably less than $1,000.00).

If it makes any difference I am located in Canada.

Thanks for your time and any guidance you can offer!

Shane D

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 35
I don't think there's a dap out there over $1,000...unless you mean dap+dock

Onkyo's coming out with a new dock soon.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there's a dap out there over $1,000...unless you mean dap+dock

Onkyo's coming out with a new dock soon.

An Ipod in Canada, like the Classic, is about $279.00, plus tax (15%). Then if you want to add a nice set of buds you are looking at $100.00 to $200.00 (guess)?
If there is a DAP that would cost me $500.00 and maybe $300.00 for a great set of buds I would seriously consider that. And that would be close on $1,000.00, with tax in. And then there are the docks.

Shane D

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 35
If you want great quality from a DAP (and Ipod) probably looking at iwadia plus a DAC, but that can be bought later. I doubt ripping/encoding in itunes is hard. EAC is a bit harder but it allows you to use your compressor ie ogg or flac.

On average 1GB is 2 albums at least with flac level 8 (max compression) So I'd look at 100GB DAP. I wouldn't mind lossless on my DAP, need 800GB though :frowning2:

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want great quality from a DAP (and Ipod) probably looking at iwadia plus a DAC, but that can be bought later. I doubt ripping/encoding in itunes is hard. EAC is a bit harder but it allows you to use your compressor ie ogg or flac.

On average 1GB is 2 albums at least with flac level 8 (max compression) So I'd look at 100GB DAP. I wouldn't mind lossless on my DAP, need 800GB though :frowning2:

Yes the Wadia looks good, although kind of expensive. I assumed that Lossless files are the same quality so they would be about the same size? My first try was WMA Lossless and the size (Steely Dan - Two Against Nature) was 319MB, all in.

I would be happy to pick a format (any lossless format) and stick with it. I guess the DAP I buy will dictate the format used.

Going back to your comment, who sells DAP's of more than 100GB? Would you buy a Zune where they seem to be pulling out? Is Ipod the only one that will give you a large selection of accessories?

Thanks for your time!

Shane D

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 35
How long is that album? Rip a album that's the full 74 minutes, multiply that by 200 and you have maximum possible size your collection will be in lossless. Some encoders are more efficient, you've got flac, alac, ape, wma lossless as the main ones. But I'd say average is 400-500MB. WAVE is uncompressed lossless.

If you buy a ipod then you're going to rip to alac, personally I don't like Apples due to limited features, requirement for itunes and the closed in system, non standard (ie they have Sound Check, rather than widely supported Replaygain) The same as WMA lossless, Microsoft's own codec.

If you want great sound quality, then you really should bypass the analogue stage of a DAP, they're pretty lousy compared to dedicated high end full size components.

I'd personally just the DAP player for portable use then get a dedicated media streamer for your Hi-Fi, although you can use DAP bit of a hassle as you've got no remote (unless the dock has full IR control plus a large display that duplicates what's on the DAP.

Apple have 160GB, not sure of any larger. Unless some have 2.5" drives.

Quote:

Is Ipod the only one that will give you a large selection of accessories?

What types of accessories?

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

If you buy a ipod then you're going to rip to alac, personally I don't like Apples due to limited features, requirement for itunes and the closed in system, non standard (ie they have Sound Check, rather than widely supported Replaygain) The same as WMA lossless, Microsoft's own codec.

I assume ALAC would be the same size as WMA lossless?

If you want great sound quality, then you really should bypass the analogue stage of a DAP, they're pretty lousy compared to dedicated high end full size components.

How about with something like Wadia? Still inferior to a regular cd player?

I'd personally just the DAP player for portable use then get a dedicated media streamer for your Hi-Fi, although you can use DAP bit of a hassle as you've got no remote (unless the dock has full IR control plus a large display that duplicates what's on the DAP.

Definitely need more investigation.

Apple have 160GB, not sure of any larger. Unless some have 2.5" drives.

I think Apple dropped their 160GB and it appears that Zune is dropping their 120GB.

It looks like either grab Zune before they're gone, or go to Ipod.

What types of accessories?

Speaker dock for the office. Charging/player dock for home stereo. Nice buds. Mind you not the $1,100.00 buds mentioned on this site but something nice.
biggrin.gif

Shane D

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 35
I recommend AMP3. if you want to rip your CDs to a new DAP. To my experience AMP3 have this kind of decent sound signature that is very closed to the hi end CD player. Say, the sound quality is balanced ,neutral, smooth,details and charming. Jusk like I have a mini hiend CD player to bring with me to any where.

AMP3 also can satisfy you requirement of size, it's size is 74 X 40 X 20mm. and plus ,it is the DAP/AMP hybrid gem.

Refer to hook to the home audio set up, I also have a lot of practice. Because AMP3 have a built in CLASS A amp. it can work as a preamp to send the powerful signal to the desktop full size amp to boost the speakers. It is amazing, the sound quality via AMP3 is equal to hiend CD player in my home audio system. by this way, we don't need any dock!!

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend AMP3. if you want to rip your CDs to a new DAP. To my experience AMP3 have this kind of decent sound signature that is very closed to the hi end CD player. Say, the sound quality is balanced ,neutral, smooth,details and charming. Jusk like I have a mini hiend CD player to bring with me to any where.

AMP3 also can satisfy you requirement of size, it's size is 74 X 40 X 20mm. and plus ,it is the DAP/AMP hybrid gem.

Refer to hook to the home audio set up, I also have a lot of practice. Because AMP3 have a built in CLASS A amp. it can work as a preamp to send the powerful signal to the desktop full size amp to boost the speakers. It is amazing, the sound quality via AMP3 is equal to hiend CD player in my home audio system. by this way, we don't need any dock!!

Thanks for the reply. No question that the AMP3 is a killer in sound quality and price. However I really want capacity. And I will give up some sound quality to get it.

If those guys could put a 64GB flash drive in there I would be happy to pay double the price.

Shane D

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 35
Kenwood HD60GB9 has realy good sound qualty and it's has builtin AMPs. But iPod classic+Amp3+Alo 18awg cryo dock+UM3x will cost just arround 1K.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. No question that the AMP3 is a killer in sound quality and price. However I really want capacity. And I will give up some sound quality to get it.

If those guys could put a 64GB flash drive in there I would be happy to pay double the price.

Shane D

New Studio I coming out soon, with 8GB onboard and a card slot (supports 16GB cards). Check the Whiplash Audio forum. Just rumor, but this machine, which will be $349 I think, is supposed to even outperform the Amp3 on SQ, and will support flac and wav.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kenwood HD60GB9 has realy good sound qualty and it's has builtin AMPs. But iPod classic+Amp3+Alo 18awg cryo dock+UM3x will cost just arround 1K.

I can't even find a web site for kenwood except car stereo? Do you have a link? Why would you buy an Ipod Classic AND an AMP3?
It seems that with Ipod your choice of docks is almost endless.

Shane D

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Studio I coming out soon, with 8GB onboard and a card slot (supports 16GB cards). Check the Whiplash Audio forum. Just rumor, but this machine, which will be $349 I think, is supposed to even outperform the Amp3 on SQ, and will support flac and wav.

Still awfully short on capacity unless you want to start carrying around memory cards.
I am willing to spend one whole weekend ripping to my hard drive and then downloading to a DAP. I would like it to be fast and simple, like WMP/Zune, and be done with it. I buy 10 to 15 cds per year which I would then rip and load, until I find a place online to buy lossless (or maybe WAV?) music.

Shane D

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Can't you fit a 240GB into a ipod? I certainly wouldn't mind one for that capacity, but still want to be rockboxed.

I think 120GB is plenty for me.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back