Sound Quality of PX100 and HD25-1, worth the upgrade???
Mar 10, 2008 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

adkimemory

Head-Fier
I currently own the Senn PX100 model, and just love them. But I've been hearing alot of great things about the Senn HD25-1. I was wondering... How different do they sound??

is it worth the upgrade?? or should i save up and buy a higher model??

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 30
do you need to get a pair of portable headphones?
Also, do you have an amp?

HD25-I is little more neutral than PX100 IMO - I think there would be quite a bit of improvement (especially in sound isolation).

If you're using it for indoor use and have an amp, why not HD580?

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 30
sorry, but portability is a must... I'm a college student, and I'm almost never in my dorm (only to sleep). i'm usually either out or or in the library (isolation and leakage is important, issues I had with the PX100). and I can't get an amp, sorry~~~

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkimemory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, but portability is a must... I'm a college student, and I'm almost never in my dorm (only to sleep). i'm usually either out or or in the library (isolation and leakage is important, issues I had with the PX100). and I can't get an amp, sorry~~~

biggrin.gif
I'm a student as well so I understand
smily_headphones1.gif

HD25-I is excellent IMO -I feel that it's little pricy though.
denon D1000 is also pretty good for the price IMO (~100$?)

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkimemory /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's reason enough to go for the HD-25. The PX-100 is too open to be used in the public.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 30
For that amount of money, I don't think it's worth it unless I get much better SQ. or else i'd rather spend a little bit more money to get both that SQ and the isolation.

any suggestions on models?? I'm willing to spend up to $250

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

based on what? The PX100 is good, but not great. Not only is an amped HD25-1 better, it is several rungs better, never fear.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 30
i also considered the px100, but the missing isolation kept me from getting them. then i got used hd25-1 as a gift
smily_headphones1.gif
i love their isolation and soundquality!
had two issues with em:
the clamping (i put on the velvet pads + stretch em out over my computer case when not in use, the head band "remembers" the width for some time..)
and the piercing highs (recabled them)

i use them unamped from my a818, love the clearity and detail of that combination!

good luck for your decission!

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

In every way the HD25-1 is an upgrade over the PX100s. You get noticeably superior sound quality amped or unamped - and there is no problem with using the HD25-1s unamped with a portable player. Not only this, but they also have excellent isolation (good enough to be OK even on planes) and a tougher build quality, all in a package which is still small enough to be considered portable. The only question is if the HD25-1s are overpriced, which they probably are if you can't get them cheaper than the $200 or so retail that is commonly quoted. But compared to paying another $100 or so for the ATH-ESW9s, they begin to look sweetly reasonable.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 30
I have them both and while the PX-100 is very nice for what it is, the HD 25 is in another class entirely. Add an HD650 cable and you've got something really special...

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 30
I've decided to buy an HD680 cable for it, but I'm also wondering if it is worth buying an amp for the HD25-1

How much does an amp improve its sound??? are the airhead amps from HR any good?
I would like to avoid laying down another few $100 for a portable amp, but if it jumps the sound from a 8/10 to a 9.5/10 (a irrelevent scale to show my point) I would definately consider buying an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back