Sound quality is not only up to the headphones.
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #31 of 31

Quote:

I've been seriously tempted to create a program or DSP that automatically dynamically compresses music, just so people can easily demonstrate to themselves how much damage loudness war can do to music. I would call it "You can **** up music too!"

In foobar2000 (and I'm sure in many music players similar things can be done) you can add a gain to the original and then pass that through the advanced limiter to avoid clipping.  This would be an extremely crude and poor compressor, but it should be a fun exercise.  I'm sure some albums have something almost as bad done to them.

Here's how it looks in Audacity.  Top two rows are L and R channels of the original, while the bottom two are the same music run through a conversion in foobar with +20 dB gain -> advanced limiter.

Of course, in a program like Audacity you can just use the actual dynamic range compressor.  The default settings give you something a little too reasonable though, so you'd have to play with some of the sliders to get the "desired" effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back