Sound quality between Amazon Music HD / Qobuz / Tidal
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #76 of 112
I've not used a PC inbuilt DAC for years, I've been a J River + external DAC since around 2011 I think. The current board is capable of streaming hi res audio, and has no problem streaming Tidal masters at 96k or hi res flac files from Musicbee medial player in their native res; so I don't think it's a hardware issue, at least not directly. For whatever reason beyond my understanding the implementation isn't compatible with my system (the board is an Asus M5A 78L-M, so not particularly rare?)

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #77 of 112
I've not used a PC inbuilt DAC for years
Lol, yea I'm kinda behind the curve, tryin to catch up :wink:

I read the discussion over on the Hoffman forum,
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/post-your-successful-hi-res-amazon-hd-setup.883613/page-5

I'm beginning to wonder whether my PC is actually performing bit perfect--In exclusive mode no other app or browser sounds work--that much I have tested eg, youtube in firefox sound is defeated. But as far as bit perfect, in the end all there is for evidence is what the A-hd software reports and my lousy ears....? It seems the windows X software is dedicated to mucking things up for apps that do not utilize wasapi....

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #78 of 112
Lol, yea I'm kinda behind the curve, tryin to catch up :wink:

I read the discussion over on the Hoffman forum,
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/post-your-successful-hi-res-amazon-hd-setup.883613/page-5

I'm beginning to wonder whether my PC is actually performing bit perfect--In exclusive mode no other app or browser sounds work--that much I have tested eg, youtube in firefox sound is defeated. But as far as bit perfect, in the end all there is for evidence is what the A-hd software reports and my lousy ears....? It seems the windows X software is dedicated to mucking things up for apps that do not utilize wasapi....
Given that it (exc mode) works for some and not others, then it's possible AHD is using your built in dac in exc mode. I didn't think to try that, not that it would have changed anything for me.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #79 of 112
I think in the Amazon HD thread they are very sure the only way to get bit perfect with Amazon is via a Bluesound device.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #80 of 112
There's a thread on ASR about it, it's possible that even in exc mode, not all media players are necessarily bit perfect. Whether you can actually reliably hear that is another question of course.

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #81 of 112
Tidal's app is what I've found to be the coloring agent that boosts the low end and makes it pudgy and soft. Actually makes it sound pretty good on an iPhone built in dac, but if you have anything nice, it def is not great. If you use Audrivana or the A&K built in app, it sounds quite good. Their streams are fine, but their app sucks. Also, only service with a better catalogue for my tastes seems to be Spotify. I gravitate to Indie, electronica, punk, rap, extreme metal. And if its a question of Spotify vs. Tidal, for sure, Tidal wipes the resolution floor with Spotify. Not even close (relative, I know) Spotify is sibilant and cymbal washy af for me. And when you are listening to double bass drumming that sound like a warped maxell cassette tape, you know 320kbps is just not enough and it pulls you right out of it. Qobuz only had big name stuff I don't care about. Heard great things, but its a nonstarter till they get a better catalogue. Amazon already gets enough of my money.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #82 of 112
Tidal's app is what I've found to be the coloring agent that boosts the low end and makes it pudgy and soft. Actually makes it sound pretty good on an iPhone built in dac, but if you have anything nice, it def is not great. If you use Audrivana or the A&K built in app, it sounds quite good. Their streams are fine, but their app sucks. Also, only service with a better catalogue for my tastes seems to be Spotify. I gravitate to Indie, electronica, punk, rap, extreme metal. And if its a question of Spotify vs. Tidal, for sure, Tidal wipes the resolution floor with Spotify. Not even close (relative, I know) Spotify is sibilant and cymbal washy af for me. And when you are listening to double bass drumming that sound like a warped maxell cassette tape, you know 320kbps is just not enough and it pulls you right out of it. Qobuz only had big name stuff I don't care about. Heard great things, but its a nonstarter till they get a better catalogue. Amazon already gets enough of my money.

Yes, I’ve switched back to the UAPP app on my M11P. There’s a definite bass boost with the Tidal app and maybe a lack of clarity.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #83 of 112
If you're mainly interested in Ultra HD, Amazon sucks. They list a lot of albums as UHD that only have one song at that level.

I just gave it another try, after deciding against it, but the first UHD album I selected only had 2 UHD tracks. It happens to me constantly, not worth it.

So, I’ve recently been finding albums on Tidal that are listed as MQA and are only 44/16. Gillian Welch's Soul Journey, for example. Looking in the fine print, I guess some MQA albums are only 44/16? Is that the best available from the original sources?

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #85 of 112
So, I’ve recently been finding albums on Tidal that are listed as MQA and are only 44/16. Gillian Welch's Soul Journey, for example. Looking in the fine print, I guess some MQA albums are only 44/16? Is that the best available from the original sources?
If the light is blue then it's what the "studio" or production company wants to present as the official version. If the light is green then it is unclear what it means. MQA is not necessarily about the highest bit rate, I think it's more about them giving you the impression you have the best mastered version according to somebody.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #86 of 112
Left Tidal for Qobuz after one year... Why?
+ a year ago Tidal was available for Android Auto, built directly inside my KEF Lsx speakers application, easy to use with DFC and UAPP... So one service to rule them all😉
- during that year i've read about MQA...not really lossless...(not a problem if MQA was not advertised as The Thing) and "old" albums that are converted to MQA don't sound better to me but worse (trebble are pushed up)... (Auberge from Chris Rea is a good example)
- since the beginning of my Tidal subscription i found it was too expensive...
+ now i've found that Qobuz is also available for Android Auto, that i can use it with my Kef Lsx with mconnect, and also with DFC and UAPP and if i pay a one year subscription at once it's what i consider a fair price for the service...
- As i moved my playlists to Qobuz with Soundiiz sure i lost some songs but not too many...
+ Last but not least, as i'm in the process of moving, comparing MQA with Hi-Res i've found that to my ears Qobuz Hi-Res sounds better, more natural, and the treble are not pushed up...
- I still have a few days to change my mind😀
Ps. Why no Amazon ? Did not explore the possibility... but i think it's good to have other choices...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #88 of 112
I'm going to be contrary here! I've just set up a months trial of Qobuz, on the basis that in the MQA thread, there are claims that without and MQA capable dac, you're wasting your time (these things are relative). I already prefer the SQ from MusicBee streaming FLAC files off my PC attached SSD to Tidal, so thought it would be worth trying it out, especially as it's £5 a month cheaper. I installed Soundiiz to copy all of my playlists across, with limited success tbh, quite a few tracks missing that is really disappointing in a couple of cases, others I could live with. Soundiiz also managed to confuse some artists and tracks up, as some appeared in Qobuz that are not in the Tidal playlist, easy to fix, but rather wishing I hadn't been so impulsive and paid for the annual sub, although I've not tried the sync function, and I have double the number of tracks on Spotify than Tidal, and haven't got round to adding them.

I used a number of tracks that for the most part I've used as a test disc for some years, plus a couple of newer ones. I know the tracks very well, having listened to them in a variety of systems including some reasonably capable kit ( Chord, Roksan, ProAc, ATC, MF etc). First off, it's good to see Qobuz has a more precise outmode setting options, so asio, wasapi and wasapi exclusive for each output driver. I tried all three fairly quickly, not a huge difference, and left it in wasapi exclusive. Immediate impressions are similar I think to a few others experience; the treble is less prominent, and the bass less so, but I found the effect to be a bit lifeless, I kept coming back to Tidal and preferring it's slightly brighter sound that makes it more livley and greater impact. Bear in mind I'm in mid 50s so my hearing will be less sensitive to HF, plus I'm using Grado hemps, which are a bit dark (for Grados anyway). In some cases, I preferred Tidal's 16/44 version of Qobuz 24/96 track (ACDC Power Up). There seems to be a slight volume increase also with Tidal that colours the first impression. Ultimately, the differences are marginal, and I can live with both; and both are not as detailed as MusicBee, which is remarkable given that it's free.
At the moment, I'm leaning towards staying with Tidal, if only because if some missing tracks in Qobuz are a real downside for me.

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #89 of 112
I don't think anybody says you need an MQA dac for Tidal. The Tidal app does the first unfold, one night I listened to the software unfold and my hardware MQA and I didn't notice a big difference. Depending on the price in your area and your musical preference Tidal could be a good value. But I have run into a lot of missing tracks on Tidal so it really depends. You might want to keep both if you can afford it.

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #90 of 112
I don't think anybody says you need an MQA dac for Tidal. The Tidal app does the first unfold, one night I listened to the software unfold and my hardware MQA and I didn't notice a big difference. Depending on the price in your area and your musical preference Tidal could be a good value. But I have run into a lot of missing tracks on Tidal so it really depends. You might want to keep both if you can afford it.

I did ask the question:
#917 https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tidal-masters-mqa-thread.838888/page-62

Keeping both is not something I want to do, as i said for me the difference in SQ is marginal, it would probably make more sense to subscribe to Roon or Audivarna. If the track library was comparable (for me anyway) then I'd migrate to Qobuz for sure. The UI of the desktop app is not as slick as Tidal, not got to installing it on my phone yet. I've got 30 days left through to decide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back