Sound quality between Amazon Music HD / Qobuz / Tidal
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #106 of 112
Sorry, was being somewhat vague, what I mean is that the source file in your bit perfect model is the streamer / media player, but upstream there there is the original master recording -> CD Master / Digital master >>> Streaming service chain to consider.

If all streamers / media players ("sources") were maintaining the original master digital file data, then why do they sound different? Unless (and it is possible) it's just placebo, otherwise each streaming service is slightly deviating from the original common master, and therefore there must be some data processing going on within each app that could alter the bit stream, but is outside of the streaming device control, in other words we are assuming that whatever the streamer outputs into the PC output drivers is perfect. I don't know enough about OTA data file streaming and conversion processing to be sure about this though, maybe someone else can verify that or not.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #107 of 112
Sorry, was being somewhat vague, what I mean is that the source file in your bit perfect model is the streamer / media player, but upstream there there is the original master recording -> CD Master / Digital master >>> Streaming service chain to consider.

If all streamers / media players ("sources") were maintaining the original master digital file data, then why do they sound different? Unless (and it is possible) it's just placebo, otherwise each streaming service is slightly deviating from the original common master, and therefore there must be some data processing going on within each app that could alter the bit stream, but is outside of the streaming device control, in other words we are assuming that whatever the streamer outputs into the PC output drivers is perfect. I don't know enough about OTA data file streaming and conversion processing to be sure about this though, maybe someone else can verify that or not.
It's not my model :wink:

The way it works is the streaming companies buy something from the producers. It could be a redbook CD image, it could be an MQA CD, or a high res file. I don't know what formats they use but certainly all of the above and more are available.

If it's bit perfect, all streaming services will sound the same on the same device. There are plenty of variables but most of it comes back to different services having different masters. Sometimes there are multiple masters served even on one service.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #108 of 112
One thing I might suggest beyond discussions of what music services are or are not bit-perfect is to actually get trials of all of the streaming services and hear how they sound. I find that I have definite preferences between the streaming services. I was also surprised to find that one service that uses lossy compression sounds better to my ears than some other services that claim to be bit-perfect. Your preferences may likely vary from mine.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #109 of 112
If it's bit perfect, all streaming services will sound the same on the same device. There are plenty of variables but most of it comes back to different services having different masters. Sometimes there are multiple masters served even on one service.
Why would producers make multiple masters? Once an album is mixed down, why do it again unless you're deliberately reformatting into a different resolution, or taking an old album and boosting sales by issuing a remastered album version?

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #110 of 112
Why would producers make multiple masters? Once an album is mixed down, why do it again unless you're deliberately reformatting into a different resolution, or taking an old album and boosting sales by issuing a remastered album version?
I don't know why they do it but there are tons and tons of remasters for most popular groups. This should not be any different.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #111 of 112
If each streaming company has access to a market of multiple masters, and if they show a consistent unique tonal balance, it would suggest they're not randomly sourcing masters, they are specifying a particular profile. I presume that record producers would be happy to have their work amended to suit a particular channel.
The only other explanations are that each streaming app alters the master consistently, or that the audible differences that we think we can hear don't actually exist.
That said, in my experience the differences are so small as to be irrelevant, and in danger of disappearing down a rabbit hole!

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #112 of 112
I don't have enough choices to compare sound quality. I'm looking for hires services with bitperfect. We have exactly one of those available here right now.

Some record companies do screw up their hires files on purpose with watermarks. I have not ready any report of MQA files being watermarked. So far that is one advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back