Sound difference...
Jun 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

-y0-

500+ Head-Fier
What's the difference between the sound of balanced armatures and dynamic drivers? All IEMs I've had were dynamic drivers and always wondered how the armatures differed. I plan to invest in a new pair of IEMs. I'm deciding between Westone 2/3 or 1964 Duals. Any information would be appreciated.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
What's the difference between the sound of balanced armatures and dynamic drivers? All IEMs I've had were dynamic drivers and always wondered how the armatures differed. I plan to invest in a new pair of IEMs. I'm deciding between Westone 2/3 or 1964 Duals. Any information would be appreciated.

General* rule of thumb: Dynamics normally have much better bass response since they have move more air, and balanced armatures usually are better with treble and detail.  BAs also tend to sound more mechanic (I don't notice this one as much).  However, it all depends on tuning, BA vs dynamic will tell you little about how they sound.

*I say general because there are BAs that sound like dynamics (DUNU has a few of these) and dynamics that sound like BAs (RE0, etc.)

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Dynamic headphones tend to have a punchier, louder bass, and it also can cover the frequency spectrum better than balanced armatures.
BA drivers tends to have a more detailed sound, lot of single BA IEM lacks bass, that's because it does not cover the spectrum well, so multiple BA IEM are made to give a good coverage of the entire hearing spectrum.

But remember, there are always exceptions and you can't say one us superior to another. A single well made BA can sound better than multiple BA IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back