Sound comparison: Xiaomi Pistons 2.1 and Sony MH1C
Sep 26, 2014 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

walkmanforever

100+ Head-Fier

So, I got my Pistons 2.1 delivered yesterday and thought of comparing it with another budget king, the "MH1C". Here are the initial impressions and a short comparison.

The packaging:

The packaging of the Pistons is extremely good considering its worth. I got it for INR 1500 which is around $25. The chocolate fragrance was all there and even the rubber pad and the silicon buds are of brown colour which perfectly blends with the smell. The box in which it came is a bit heavy owing to the rubber cushion inside.

The product:

The earphones are extremely well built, the enclosure is beautifully crafted and has a full metal housing. While the cable below the microphone part is well bulit, I felt that the cable connecting the drivers is quite thin and has some chances of getting split. Overall the make is good for 25 bucks.

The comparison:

I got the MH1Cs a year back and was yet to find a good IEM offering a similar sound signature at a comparable price. I found the Pistons at a good price and bought them after reading some rave reviews. I burned them for around 2 hrs and the used the MH1Cs silicon tips on them before posting my impressions. I have used the Sony Walkman A845 and HTC One as my sources for comparison.

The sound signature of the Pistons is warm and the low end is a bit boomy. The treble extension is good but the highs sometimes sound shrill. The drums also kind of sound tinny compared to the MH1C, however it might with improve with further listening. There is loads of tight bass and it would be sufficient for bass heads as well. I found the sub-bass quality to better on the MH1C. The sound stage is wide and engaging however the instrument separation is better on the MH1C. The vocals sounded dull compared to the MH1C. The MH1C is the king of smoothness, with lush clean vocals. You could go on listening to them for hours and never feel fatigued, however the Pistons are a slightly more detailed compared to the MH1Cs but the vanilla smooth treble and the lush vocals make the MH1Cs the flag bearer.

For $25, it is definitely a good deal. Considering the 6 dollar price difference between the MH1C and the Pistons, it would be better to go for the MH1C if you want an overall smooth signature and a fatigue free sound. Take the Pistons if you want a bigger sound-stage, better detail and the chocolaty smell :wink:.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 5
I got the Pistons from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/XIAOMI-PISTON2-GOLD-HEADPHONE-HEADSET-Original-V2-0-PISTON-GOLD-/271606042849?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item3f3cfb50e1

I got the MH1C an year back. It was available on ebay then for around 1900 INR. I am not sure if you'll be able to find one online now here in India.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 5
I got the Pistons from this ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/XIAOMI-PISTON2-GOLD-HEADPHONE-HEADSET-Original-V2-0-PISTON-GOLD-/271606042849?pt=IN_Mobile_Accessories&hash=item3f3cfb50e1

I got the MH1C an year back. It was available on ebay then for around 1900 INR. I am not sure if you'll be able to find one online now here in India.

I ordered mine from the same guy. Well it was supposed to be here yesterday but BlueDart guys messed up bad. I still wonder how and where could you have bought the MH1C so cheap. I wanted one as well lol

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 5
I've owned both of them, and sound quality is amazing in both of them in each of their own ways........ but the MH1C is clearly the winner cause it offers better comfort and better noise isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back