Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #61 of 348
http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-169

it eliminate background noise/hiss and lower the volume, only useful if you are experience any those issues with X7, otherwise, there's no need.

Oh, I've seen things like that before, Etymotic makes one too but the one you found is way less expensive:
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/er4/er38-24.html

Here's some sound science guys talking about what goes into making one (and basically what you're doing):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/28100/making-an-etymotic-p-to-s-adapter-cable/0_30

Go on sound science threads and ask about these attenuators, I don't claim to know everything but this is a worthwhile thing to learn.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #63 of 348
You probably can get a digital connection through Optical, and control the X7 settings with the mobile app. You can also connect with the line-in inputs to your computer's headphone jack.

Do you have a Steam box or something?

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #64 of 348
Nah, I have a ubuntu microserver connected to the tv, using it as an htpc. It doesn't have a soundcard (sound to the tv through hdmi), so was hoping I could use this as a usb dac/amp for headphones with surround watching movies. Currently use an e17 as usb dac/amp if using headphones, but that's stereo only.

(this would be in addition to a gaming rig, not just for that box)

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #67 of 348
Your complaint is BS?
But anyway, the standard X7 has 2.2 ohms output impedance, a 16 ohm IEM should sound fine as long as it's not too loud. Over dampening can make audio sound too thin... but all this is a factor if your headphone responds to impedance differently at different frequencies. Check impedance versus frequency charts for your headphone, but at 2.2 ohms (better than most headphone outputs) it's so low that it won't be an issue for most headphones anyway. If you're hearing noise, that's not a factor of impedance.

@Pack,
The Sony you love has a special attenuator built into that big boxy thing on your MA900's wire, so you shouldn't have any problems. I have also double-amped in the past, its what I had to do when I used the older optical DSP devices, that helped improve things. You may not have to with the X7, but don't be scared to try the option (just start with the volume low!)

My complaint is BS? Well it is too loud on a 16 ohm IEMs. I had to set the volume all the way down to 10% to listen through IEMs before blowing my ear drums out and bump it back up to 70% for the speakers. Of course this gotta be a problem with my IEMs, not X7 itself, but then I wonder why they are releasing another version of X7 that works better with IEMs. Sure, noise is not a factor of impedance, but Creative said this on their website - "our exclusive 1 ohm headphone amp output impedance reduces noise distortions around you". Perhaps you should tell Creative the same thing. Their support team already confirmed with me that X7 standard doesn't work too well with IEMs, so they are releasing another version to better suit with IEMs. All I'm saying is they could release a revision of standard X7 to work better with IEMs without jacking up $100 more.

The exclusive pearl white edition is specially engineered to let you focus on things that matter - music, videos or games. Feast your senses on the full 100W of audio power, coupled with the high-power adaptor at your fingertips. Plus, our exclusive 1 ohm headphone amp output impedance reduces noise distortions around you, to make your audio experience more enjoyable. Now, the Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition is ready to impress you with big performance beyond its size.

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #68 of 348
My complaint is BS? Well it is too loud on a 16 ohm IEMs. I had to set the volume all the way down to 10% to listen through IEMs before blowing my ear drums out and bump it back up to 70% for the speakers. Of course this gotta be a problem with my IEMs, not X7 itself, but then I wonder why they are releasing another version of X7 that works better with IEMs. Sure, noise is not a factor of impedance, but Creative said this on their website - "[COLOR=666666]our exclusive 1 ohm headphone amp output impedance reduces noise distortions around you".[/COLOR] Perhaps you should tell Creative the same thing. Their support team already confirmed with me that X7 standard doesn't work too well with IEMs, so they are releasing another version to better suit with IEMs. All I'm saying is they could release a revision of standard X7 to work better with IEMs without jacking up $100 more.

In a way I kinda want to return the x7 to get the limited but I am not paying $500 for my iems to work better when I only paid $279 for the normal x7. Btw the x7 has been great once I figured everything out. It is confusing at first but now I am loving it.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #69 of 348
I'm just waiting for  X7 LTD availability to order, i don't wanna then think more about, if this, if that, would be better......  I just want give the better for my babes MA900, K702, ER4P, SM3

With 1 Ohms, I will have the best up to 1x (8-10) =  8-10 Ohms

2,2 Ohms X (8-10) = 17,6-20 Ohms to much for my MA900 and SM3

Sony MA900 12 ohms
Etymotic ER4P - 27 Ohms
Earsonic SM3 34 ohms
AKG K702 62 ohms
Earsonic SM3 34 ohms

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #70 of 348
The MA900 has a built-in attenuator thing specifically to prevent impedance mismatch issues.

But hey, if the limited is what you want, then do as you will.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts, (there they are all standing in a row,) I grew them in a coconut bush fertilized by Unicorn manure. For the low low price of $100, I could have them delivered straight to your cafeteria by highly trained swallows (African swallows, for weight ratio logistical reasons) if you'd like to order. It's all the rage on Head-Fi right now, if you eat a diet of eight of them a week (and nothing else) your ears become acute enough to hear the angels singing in the background of all good music (demons and Ween backing bad music) while your brain does this really simple trick to block out all noise produced by cheap screws used in amps. Act fast on these limited edition Uni-mure 'nuts, I've only grown enough to fill a Disney Cruise yacht! You haven't really heard music till you've had 32 bush coconuts!!!

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #71 of 348
When listening to CDs should I be enabling direct mode? I want to get the best audio quality without the sound being tampered with by the x7 or my computer.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #72 of 348
Hey,
Has anyone tried the virtual surround using a PS4? How are games and movies compared to stereo?
Deciding between this and the E5 which is alot cheaper, but if the sbx surround is worth it I would buy it.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #73 of 348
My complaint is BS? Well it is too loud on a 16 ohm IEMs. I had to set the volume all the way down to 10% to listen through IEMs before blowing my ear drums out and bump it back up to 70% for the speakers. Of course this gotta be a problem with my IEMs, not X7 itself, but then I wonder why they are releasing another version of X7 that works better with IEMs. Sure, noise is not a factor of impedance, but Creative said this on their website - "[COLOR=666666]our exclusive 1 ohm headphone amp output impedance reduces noise distortions around you".[/COLOR] Perhaps you should tell Creative the same thing. Their support team already confirmed with me that X7 standard doesn't work too well with IEMs, so they are releasing another version to better suit with IEMs. All I'm saying is they could release a revision of standard X7 to work better with IEMs without jacking up $100 more.

I mean, I agree that the Creative products have a lot more volume potential than I've ever needed. With my 150 ohm HD700, I have windows volume set to ~24%, I actually turn up my 120 ohm AKG K612 up to ~28% because the AKG has lower sensitivity, but I'm used to my laptop, tablet, and portable music player (all Apple) being set to around 3/4 of full volume in most cases. So far I've been able to find a SPL (volume) that was fine for me, but I wish that low-gain mode would put my current volume needs at the 75% range and allow more granular control, and leave the future-proofing to high-gain mode. I had a 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880, didn't have the other two mentioned headphones at the time, but I only had to turn up the volume dial on my Turtle Beach DSS a little bit more compared to my 62 ohm headphones. From that experience, I conclude that ohms have a little bearing on volume but sensitivity ratings matter more, and higher ohm headphones are EASIER to amp because by the time they get enough voltage (the volume dial is turned up enough), they are also supplied plenty of current (amperes).

And maybe I will tell Creative to consider their wording about the effect of output impedance... Somebody should. "... noise distortions around you" could just as easily confuse someone to think output impedance somehow is related to active noise cancellation. That line could be the result of the translator not exactly sure how to phrase the effect, succinctly, in english. The graph in the press release does a better job explaining that, even with an extremely low impedance headphone, there is very little coloring of different sound frequencies.

I generally think of my IEM (Etymotic ER•6i, 32 ohms) as something to plug straight into my iPod when I'm on the go, even if you did get a dedicated amp for it you wouldn't need something big and powerful, just clean and low distortion. More current than voltage. The standard X7's 2.2 ohm output is already quite an engineering improvement over reference designs by Texas Instruments who manufactures the headphone amp chip, and close enough that even 16 ohm headphones should barely detect any coloration, and the vast majority of headphones will be easily Overdampening the output. Did you see how much the power supply upgrade costs? That's probably where most of the extra cost comes from, though "designing a headphone output more suitable for IEMs" is probably also a factor. That pearl white is quite attractive though!

When listening to CDs should I be enabling direct mode? I want to get the best audio quality without the sound being tampered with by the x7 or my computer.

It's one way to quickly bypass any processing. There's no "should" however, you may prefer direct mode or you might prefer a few EQ or other processing tweaks.

Hey,
Has anyone tried the virtual surround using a PS4? How are games and movies compared to stereo?
Deciding between this and the E5 which is alot cheaper, but if the sbx surround is worth it I would buy it.

Thanks

Been using virtual surround since before the PS4 came out, I find it more immersive than stereo when I have the option. If stereo is all you want from your PS4, there are a ton of less expensive options than the E5... Only you can decide the features list that will be a benefit you care about.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #74 of 348
I mean, I agree that the Creative products have a lot more volume potential than I've ever needed. With my 150 ohm HD700, I have windows volume set to ~24%, I actually turn up my 120 ohm AKG K612 up to ~28% because the AKG has lower sensitivity, but I'm used to my laptop, tablet, and portable music player (all Apple) being set to around 3/4 of full volume in most cases. So far I've been able to find a SPL (volume) that was fine for me, but I wish that low-gain mode would put my current volume needs at the 75% range and allow more granular control, and leave the future-proofing to high-gain mode. I had a 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880, didn't have the other two mentioned headphones at the time, but I only had to turn up the volume dial on my Turtle Beach DSS a little bit more compared to my 62 ohm headphones. From that experience, I conclude that ohms have a little bearing on volume but sensitivity ratings matter more, and higher ohm headphones are EASIER to amp because by the time they get enough voltage (the volume dial is turned up enough), they are also supplied plenty of current (amperes).

And maybe I will tell Creative to consider their wording about the effect of output impedance... Somebody should. "... noise distortions around you" could just as easily confuse someone to think output impedance somehow is related to active noise cancellation. That line could be the result of the translator not exactly sure how to phrase the effect, succinctly, in english. The graph in the press release does a better job explaining that, even with an extremely low impedance headphone, there is very little coloring of different sound frequencies.

I generally think of my IEM (Etymotic ER•6i, 32 ohms) as something to plug straight into my iPod when I'm on the go, even if you did get a dedicated amp for it you wouldn't need something big and powerful, just clean and low distortion. More current than voltage. The standard X7's 2.2 ohm output is already quite an engineering improvement over reference designs by Texas Instruments who manufactures the headphone amp chip, and close enough that even 16 ohm headphones should barely detect any coloration, and the vast majority of headphones will be easily Overdampening the output. Did you see how much the power supply upgrade costs? That's probably where most of the extra cost comes from, though "designing a headphone output more suitable for IEMs" is probably also a factor. That pearl white is quite attractive though!
It's one way to quickly bypass any processing. There's no "should" however, you may prefer direct mode or you might prefer a few EQ or other processing tweaks.
Been using virtual surround since before the PS4 came out, I find it more immersive than stereo when I have the option. If stereo is all you want from your PS4, there are a ton of less expensive options than the E5... Only you can decide the features list that will be a benefit you care about.

Appreciate the response, I am looking for no processing to be done at all by my music player or my dac. Hopefully iTunes does not change the sound at all from my CDs as that's what I am using currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back