Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Dec 29, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #31 of 348
Anyone using Direct Mode on a Mac? I've had the X7 since the 23rd and am pretty happy with it. The only issues I've encountered so far:

- Sometimes when switching settings around, the output jumps from headphone jack to rear output
- Direct mode sounds very neutral but leads to issues with the mic array input - it stops working on the Mac (Yosemite) 
- SBX is quite fun but I've quickly disregarded it as I'm used to my material sounding true to source.

As a whole, this thing is a great package and I haven't even started to use it for movie watching on my large desktop or playing with the PS4. Coming from a FiiO E10 and an Asus Xonar U7, the sound quality is noticeably better with my UE 18 Pro. There's a lot of headroom, too. I'm currently listening on the 2nd of what – 20 (?) sound steps on the Mac's internal volume and it has a fairly high audio pressure already. I wouldn't go above six bars for a prolonged time.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #32 of 348

Jumped on a X7 when I heard about it. 
Have had it a couple days.

The sound is quite good, and really love the scout mode.  (BF4 / PS4).
I do have the same problems as the quoted post above.
The most frustrating is the mic.  
When making the decision to get the X7 what put me over was the thought that it was an all-in-one box.
After researching a bit, Creative Labs says the X7 can't do vocal communication with gaming consoles??? (scroll down and look for the bold type slightly above the PRINT icon --- http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=124927)
If this is the case, it's getting returned.   Very possible I'm connecting something wrong too.  I admit, I'm new to this.
Anyone have any ideas?

Play FPS games primarily on PS4.
Old setup was AKG 702s w/ Modmic -> Schitt Magni -> Mixamp -> PS4
Sound was good (bit of fuzz in the sound at higher levels) and mic communication was good.

Have you tried connecting the microphone via bluetooth to your PS4? I don't have a PS4 so I can't test it.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #33 of 348
So X7 doesn't work in PS4 to play BF4 on party squad (mix chat)?

If i buy the X7 is to replace my mixamp, and i want be able to configure the sound of the party/game asi do on mixamp K702 / mic / X7.

Can someone confirm that I can play in BF4 on party (mix chat audio) with the X7?

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #35 of 348
Buy one cheap today and give us backup $3. :)

I think chat audio comes from PS4 USB port and not optical.

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #36 of 348
  Have you tried connecting the microphone via bluetooth to your PS4? I don't have a PS4 so I can't test it.

No, as I do not have a Bluetooth mic.
Will look around for a cheapy to check and see.

Currently using an AntLion Modmic.

Quote:
So X7 doesn't work in PS4 to play BF4 on party squad (mix chat)?

If i buy the X7 is to replace my mixamp, and i want be able to configure the sound of the party/game asi do on mixamp K702 / mic / X7.

Can someone confirm that I can play in BF4 on party (mix chat audio) with the X7?

I have had zero luck.
I had the PS4 sound output via optical.

Then I hooked the mini usb on the back of the X7 to the usb on the PS4 front.
Same as you would run an Astro mixamp.
But that won't work as per Creative's manual, and the reconfirmation via email seen later in this post.

My old working setup is similar to yours...  ps4 / astro mixamp / schitt magni / k702 w/ antlion modmic

Buy one cheap today and give us backup $3.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think chat audio comes from PS4 USB port and not optical.

Thanks.

Yes, chat audio comes from the PS4 usb.

I also sent an email to Creative for clarification on the X7 to PS4 voice communication.
They reconfirmed what their manual says.

Dear rc80,

Thank you for contacting Creative.

With regards to your email, we wish to clarify that what you read on the User Manual is correct.

The Sound Blaster X7's Mic-IN does not support gaming consoles. You have to connect microphone directly to your gaming console.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email and include any previous correspondence to ensure a quick response.

Regards,

Jes
Creative Worldwide Customer Response

I'll mess with it again when time allows.  Need to hook it all back up.
Thinking about also hooking up a small USB thumb soundcard (Syba) - to the PS4 front and run the mic in that way.

Again, I'm no pro at hooking these things up.
Quite possible I have something not configured correctly.  I do hope this is the case.
If anyone else has any ideas.... post them up..

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #37 of 348
I have had zero luck.
I had the PS4 sound output via optical.

Then I hooked the mini usb on the back of the X7 to the usb on the PS4 front.
Same as you would run an Astro mixamp.
But that won't work as per Creative's manual, and the reconfirmation via email seen later in this post.

My old working setup is similar to yours...  ps4 / astro mixamp / schitt magni / k702 w/ antlion modmic

Yes, chat audio comes from the PS4 usb.

I also sent an email to Creative for clarification on the X7 to PS4 voice communication.
They reconfirmed what their manual says.

I'll mess with it again when time allows.  Need to hook it all back up.
Thinking about also hooking up a small USB thumb soundcard (Syba) - to the PS4 front and run the mic in that way.

Again, I'm no pro at hooking these things up.
Quite possible I have something not configured correctly.  I do hope this is the case.
If anyone else has any ideas.... post them up..

Thank you.

Every time i convince me more than buying X7 to play multiplayer is a swamp.

Just don't like it has been announced as the last pro system for gaming, when lacks voice communication on consoles.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #38 of 348
Thank you.

Every time i convince me more than buying X7 to play multiplayer is a swamp.

Just don't like it has been announced as the last pro system for gaming, when lacks voice communication on consoles.

You're welcome, and thanks for the rep.

On another note, I did get my Modmic to work while using the X7 today.

Let me clarify...
As mentioned in my previous post, I took the Modmic and plugged it into a SYBA USB soundcard.  Then I plugged that into the USB front of the PS4. 
So the X7 was handling sound being output from the PS4 (via optical) and the Modmic was inputting directly to the PS4 (via SYBA USB soundcard).

I then fired up the PS4, jumped into a BF4 TDM match and voila.... the mic worked.  
The mic was far too sensitive, and in the unlikely event that I keep the X7, I will need to adjust my settings / mic.
X7 sound was working fine.  Very clear.

I didn't try a bluetooth mic, and probably won't as I just don't want to mess with it.

So, unless anyone else has ideas, I'll offer up my conclusion for MY situation... (again.. GAMING CONSOLE focus for the X7).

The X7 offers high quality audio with a slew of features (Scout mode for example).
Listening to music with my K702's and the X7 was beautiful.
Too bad music wasn't the main reason I wanted the X7... I wanted it for gaming.
The X7, one box to rule them all, do everything my amp and mixamp does, but with better quality and less cables...? Awesome.
Unfortunately, it's not going to work out for me (unless something changes quickly) as I can't get over the fact that this $400 device can't work my mic (or even it's own built in mic) with my game console.
All those Crystal voice software features?  Dual beam mic?  Worthless.. for my setup.
At the end of the day I don't really want to have to patch my mic in via USB soundcard.  The X7 should do this.

So back to my trusty Schitt Magni and Astro Mixamp.  More cables and a little hiss, but it works and costs far less.
Sure, the sound isn't as good as the X7, but I can still enjoy a very detailed experience including footsteps from enemies...

I'll wait a few days to return it, to see if anyone else chimes in... 
Otherwise, it's going back to Creative.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 348
No, as I do not have a Bluetooth mic.

The X7 has bluetooth functionality; you should be able to pair it with your PS4? I wanted to see if the X7's integrated microphone would work with the PS4. I can pair the X7 with my PS3, but it insta-disconnects whenever I try to test it. The X7's integrated microphone does work over bluetooth with my laptop, though.

Unfortunately, it's not going to work out for me (unless something changes quickly) as I can't get over the fact that this $400 device can't work my mic (or even it's own built in mic) with my game console.

This is where I am too. It's pretty frustrating for me, but I have to say that the microphone was a big part of the reason for getting it. I also cited other "bugs" with the way the device operates, like forcing me to unplug my headphones in order to get sound. I also seem to have intermittent difficulty turning the device on at all. I'm on the fence over whether or not I should keep it, but I'm leaning toward no for this reason alone.

I feel like the things I'm citing theoretically could be solved with a software/firmware update... But then I'd be crossing my fingers that a) the device's firmware can be updated by users, b) Creative takes the time to make any updates.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 348
The X7 has bluetooth functionality; you should be able to pair it with your PS4? I wanted to see if the X7's integrated microphone would work with the PS4. I can pair the X7 with my PS3, but it insta-disconnects whenever I try to test it. The X7's integrated microphone does work over bluetooth with my laptop, though.

This is where I am too. It's pretty frustrating for me, but I have to say that the microphone was a big part of the reason for getting it. I also cited other "bugs" with the way the device operates, like forcing me to unplug my headphones in order to get sound. I also seem to have intermittent difficulty turning the device on at all. I'm on the fence over whether or not I should keep it, but I'm leaning toward no for this reason alone.

I feel like the things I'm citing theoretically could be solved with a software/firmware update... But then I'd be crossing my fingers that a) the device's firmware can be updated by users, b) Creative takes the time to make any updates.

Thanks for your feedback, this question is the one that is holding my purchase.

Could you clarify how you hear the sound of party in your headphones when you use your USB mic?

hear yourself, echo, the game sound allows hear clear the participants and vice versa, allows you to enjoy game SBX sound while perfectly hear the participants, some overlaps or is higher or lower?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #41 of 348

Tried to connect the X7 via bluetooth.
After the PS4 prompts to register a new bluetooth device it fails.
The error message is "Cannot find a profile supported by the PS4"
So no luck there.

The bugs you mention I have experienced as well.
Notably, the plug and unplug of the Headphone jack.
Also, once during a TDM round in BF4 the sound cut out completely.
Then it came back on about 4 mins later.

I agree with you that most of these bugs should be able to be sorted out via soft/firmware updates.
Looking over Creative's help forums, I think you'd have a bigger problem with taking the time to address the issues.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #43 of 348
Thanks for your feedback, this question is the one that is holding my purchase.

Could you clarify how you hear the sound of party in your headphones when you use your USB mic?

hear yourself, echo, the game sound allows hear clear the participants and vice versa, allows you to enjoy game SBX sound while perfectly hear the participants, some overlaps or is higher or lower?

Thanks

Sorry. I don't want to ignore your post but I'm also not sure what you're asking me.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #44 of 348
I was wondering if the mixed sound chat+game you receive on headphones don't have any problem.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #45 of 348
So it comes the new X7 LIMITED EDITION

$500

What are the differences and advantages?

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/creative-unveils-sound-blasterr-x7-limited-edition-1980495.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back