Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jan 6, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #46 of 348
$100 more for White color and a 144W powersupply (standard one is 70W) included. From ebay you can get 144W/24V/6A poweradapter for just $23.
96d07c69b9dc456a_800x800ar.png

http://news.cision.com/creative-labs--inc-/i/limited-edition-x7-front-shot,c1606417
Sound Blaster X7 which is an ultra high-resolution external USB DAC and powerful audio amplifier now comes in an exclusive pearl white color, includes a 144W power adapter

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/creative-unveils-sound-blasterr-x7-limited-edition-1980495.htm

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #47 of 348
I was wondering if the mixed sound chat+game you receive on headphones don't have any problem.

To be honest, I have trouble hearing in-game chat over the sounds of the game like gunfire and explosions. I could probably adjust the balance from my Xbox 360 settings, but the way it was setup by default was not good.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #48 of 348
Thx.

Yesterday at a party, i received confirmation that connecting a usb stick (mic + audio) will not work for X7 chat communication.

My friend connect his 3.5 mic to USB stick in ps4, and an optical cable to yamanha DDS receiver, and this to headphones.

The result is that he can speak with mic in the party, but don't hear any friend in party, only the sound of the game.

So, X7 must be the same result, mic works, but don't receives any sound from friends in party.

From what i gather is only possible to have chat communication in the parties with X7 if we also have a camera conected to PS4.

Why is so hard from creative to tell us this conclusion.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #49 of 348
X7 chat communication workaround:

People with X7, check this out and let us if it works.

My friend with a yamanha optical receiver connect to PS4 + mic 3.5 connect to usb audio dongle works.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690663/ps4-with-3-5mm-x2-type-headset/345

""
I am using one of those USB audio devices plugged into my PS4 (that has 3.5mm mic and headphone ports) and it gets treated as a 'headset' by the PS4. However just by doing a really simple step, I have managed to reproduce this 100% every time to where it will output chat audio over HDMI/optical to an AV receiver or whatever audio device we want to use.

Step 1: Turn on PS4 and connect up one of these USB audio devices (I assume a USB mic will also work the same way, though I haven't tried one yet). Let the PS4 recognize it and assign it to your profile if it asks you.

Step 2: Plug in a pair of headphones to the controller (or any 3.5mm jack, even an empty adapter works, as long as it isn't the headset that comes with the PS4 or anything else that will get recognized as a mic).

Step 3: Unplug the headphones (or whatever 3.5mm connection you used) from the controller.

Step 4: Enjoy chat audio coming from your headphones while being able to use a mic off the USB!

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #50 of 348
Thx.

Yesterday at a party, i received confirmation that connecting a usb stick (mic + audio) will not work for X7 chat communication.

My friend connect his 3.5 mic to USB stick in ps4, and an optical cable to yamanha DDS receiver, and this to headphones.

The result is that he can speak with mic in the party, but don't hear any friend in party, only the sound of the game.

So, X7 must be the same result, mic works, but don't receives any sound from friends in party.

From what i gather is only possible to have chat communication in the parties with X7 if we also have a camera conected to PS4.

Why is so hard from creative to tell us this conclusion.

You might be able to resolve that by running the audio out from the usb stick into the X7's line in on the back using a mini-plug to 2 rca splitter. This is all dependent on the X7 allowing you mix that line in audio in with the optical audio (which I think it should). You would likely lose any ability to adjust the game / chat mix.

edit: looks like a couple of other people are suggesting the same thing in other threads so the logic seems sound (http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/255#post_11198721) : The same way I use the DSS2 essentially

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #51 of 348
$100 more for White color and a 144W powersupply (standard one is 70W) included. From ebay you can get 144W/24V/6A poweradapter for just $23.
96d07c69b9dc456a_800x800ar.png

http://news.cision.com/creative-labs--inc-/i/limited-edition-x7-front-shot,c1606417
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/creative-unveils-sound-blasterr-x7-limited-edition-1980495.htm

This is BS. So they decided to fix the impedance issues for IEM, paint it white, include bigger power supply and sell $100 more. I fixed the noise on IEM by getting an UE attenuator which is only $10 bucks.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #52 of 348
This device almost gets it right; it has a lot of potential but comes up short in a few key places, but not because of hardware, but because of software. I feel like it could work easily with any last-gen or current-gen console if they cared to make it do so. Very frustrating! I know if I keep it, I will be able to get enjoyment out of it (I love playing Gears of War with scout mode on! [but I can't use my mic]) despite its annoyances, but I also think it's silly to keep a $400 (well, $300 for me) device that sometimes I have trouble turning on!

What are my alternatives? I cringe at setups where headphones are plugged into devices that are plugged into other devices that are plugged into sources, with a separate microphone plugged into my gamepad or something of that sort. More control, but also more clutter, more wires, more mess...

I guess I don't feel like (for my purposes) there's any superior option to the X7... But at the same time the X7 doesn't quite cut it. Rock and a hard place here. I know I need to return it, but I know that I'm going to miss it.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #53 of 348
This device almost gets it right; it has a lot of potential but comes up short in a few key places, but not because of hardware, but because of software. I feel like it could work easily with any last-gen or current-gen console if they cared to make it do so. Very frustrating! I know if I keep it, I will be able to get enjoyment out of it (I love playing Gears of War with scout mode on! [but I can't use my mic]) despite its annoyances, but I also think it's silly to keep a $400 (well, $300 for me) device that sometimes I have trouble turning on!

What are my alternatives? I cringe at setups where headphones are plugged into devices that are plugged into other devices that are plugged into sources, with a separate microphone plugged into my gamepad or something of that sort. More control, but also more clutter, more wires, more mess...

I guess I don't feel like (for my purposes) there's any superior option to the X7... But at the same time the X7 doesn't quite cut it. Rock and a hard place here. I know I need to return it, but I know that I'm going to miss it.

If it didn't work well for you and you feel you need to return, then you should return it. I already started return process with Creative for X7 and E5....

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #54 of 348

This is BS. So they decided to fix the impedance issues for IEM, paint it white, include bigger power supply and sell $100 more. I fixed the noise on IEM by getting an UE attenuator which is only $10 bucks.

Could you explain the issues with IEM's, I see the black X7 version has 2.2 ohms to 1 ohms from LTD, the difference doesn´t seem much.

Below are the headphones i want use with X7, is there any disadvantage from Black to LTD when using the Sony MA900 12ohms, that i love and so, my main concern in this matter?

In the event of EMI's very sensitive is there any disadvantages connecting in line 3.5 jack X7 to my amp JDS Labs C5 0,62Ohms?

My gear to X7:

Sony MA900 12 ohms
AKG K702 62 ohms
Earsonic SM3 34 ohms
Etymotic ER4S - 100 Ohms
Etymotic ER4P - 27 Ohms

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #55 of 348

Your complaint is BS?
But anyway, the standard X7 has 2.2 ohms output impedance, a 16 ohm IEM should sound fine as long as it's not too loud. Over dampening can make audio sound too thin... but all this is a factor if your headphone responds to impedance differently at different frequencies. Check impedance versus frequency charts for your headphone, but at 2.2 ohms (better than most headphone outputs) it's so low that it won't be an issue for most headphones anyway. If you're hearing noise, that's not a factor of impedance.

@Pack,
The Sony you love has a special attenuator built into that big boxy thing on your MA900's wire, so you shouldn't have any problems. I have also double-amped in the past, its what I had to do when I used the older optical DSP devices, that helped improve things. You may not have to with the X7, but don't be scared to try the option (just start with the volume low!)

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #56 of 348
You might be able to resolve that by running the audio out from the usb stick into the X7's line in on the back using a mini-plug to 2 rca splitter. This is all dependent on the X7 allowing you mix that line in audio in with the optical audio (which I think it should). You would likely lose any ability to adjust the game / chat mix.

edit: looks like a couple of other people are suggesting the same thing in other threads so the logic seems sound (http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/255#post_11198721) : The same way I use the DSS2 essentially

You actually gain finer game/chat mixing capabilities than the PS4 party system's controls. Just use the mobile app, go to the "Mixer" panel, and "optical" is your game volume while "line-in" is your chat volume.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #57 of 348

Can you link the part you are speaking of and how it would help with my newly purchased x7? Thanks.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #59 of 348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back