[Sorry, just realised that I should have posted this question in the dedicated advice thread - request for mods to delete]
Jun 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mattlmx

New Head-Fier
My pair of Klipsch S4i's have decided to give up on me, and I'm hesitant to purchase another pair, as I expect that flimsy cable would do the same thing again, so I'm looking at other options around this price range. Unfortunately, while I appreciate that it greatly restricts my choices, the remote and mic is an essential for me, since I'll be using them with my iPhone, and want to be able to take calls and change tracks while cycling.

I enjoyed the Klipsches for their bass response, though with my next purchase I might like something a little more balanced if possible (though I confess, I'm hardly an audiophile). Of some consideration would be noise isolation, but this can I suppose be rectified with third party tips.

When I bought my last pair, I was considering the Etymotic hf2 as a possible alternative, and these are back on my list of considerations again, as I understand they might give me the more balanced sound I'm looking for (perhaps too much so though?). The Sennheiser CX880i's are also on my list of possibilities.

My music tastes are mainly electronica, trip-hop, 2-step, and ambient.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 5
The HF2s are a good choice, But I would hardly call them cheap.

The Etymotic MC3s are a little less expensive.

And then there are the Apple In Ear Monitors. But, I suspect that you are not using an Apple product for a phone.

Also, I would point you to the Comply NR-10i, It is a noise isolating headphone produced by Comply Foam. It has threaded Comply Foam tips that won't pull off in your ears. I have the NR-10 model (non phone control). Very nice after burn in for only 58 bucks. The i model will be about 20 bucks more.

Good Luck, Jim

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 5
I would say that the NR-10s are a budget IEM. Unique, only because they were marketed by Comply.

Not sure how the S4s Sound, never heard them.

Sorry I could not have been more helpful.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back