Sorry guys and girls....
Dec 29, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 25
As much much as I like how my HF-1 sound, I can't recommend Grado in general to someone who highly value confort (and assuming the HF-1 is representative of Grado cans in confort).

I rarely wear them for more than an hour at a time (which might be a good thing I suppose for my hearing).

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 25
I'd also recommend the A500. I own the A900 (the big brother to the A500) and it's VERY comfortable and the sound stage is excellent. If I look to the extreme left/right, I can see them in my peripheral vision, but if I look straight ahead, as I would when watching a movie/tv, I don't see them at all. Movies and games sound great through these cans and I'm running them straight from the line out on my PC. I would say they sound better on my home theater though, so you do have something to look forward to if you buy a better soundcard.

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
If comfort is an issue dont go with Grados.

I'm confused, mine are perfectly comfortable. Should I send them back as defects?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
I'm confused, mine are perfectly comfortable. Should I send them back as defects?
rolleyes.gif

for short period of time my RS1 are fine for longer periods of time No. My ears get tried of the pressure. And yes I have expanded the headband. If I did it anymore they wouldn't fit. I don't want to sell them but I don't listen to them for long period of time. For short time period I don't mind at all. I feel the same way about the Grado 60s.

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #21 of 25
Thanks everyone - you've been great and all of your help is really appreciated.

I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that I've narrowed my choice down to the following three cans:

Sennheiser HD555
Sony SA1000
Audio Technica A500

I have also come to the conclusion that asking people which of the above I ought to buy probably won't be very helpful as there will be no clear winner.

So I have decided that since they're all quality phones, I'm going to order them all, so I can see which one best suits me!

Just one more thing that's been bothering me. I've been hearing a lot of people praise the HD595, 600 and the 650s and how they're a class above the HD555s for example.

This has me very intrigued since I do have enough money to buy any of those on a whim. But I was wondering whether this would be wise since I'm only a college student and there are plenty of other hobbies that I have and other things I could spend this extra money on.
Also, would I even be able to tell the difference amp-less from my theater system or with some USB soundcard from my laptop?

And just incase I do decide to give them a little amplification at a later date (god forbid), which of the above would show the most improvement ?

Thanks again
RoosterDude

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #22 of 25
If isolation isn't an issue, you might consider the AD700 over the A500. It's slightly more comfortable -- the pleather of the AX00 series get's hot and sweaty after a while -- and overall a slightly better phone. And it fits into your budget as well.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
If isolation isn't an issue, you might consider the AD700 over the A500. It's slightly more comfortable -- the pleather of the AX00 series get's hot and sweaty after a while -- and overall a slightly better phone. And it fits into your budget as well.

Thanks for this but I think I'm going to try out those three cans, and if I like the ATs then I may look into the AD700s but for now, I think I'm pretty muchj decided. Please don't recommend any more!! Grr, so much choice!
tongue.gif

Anyway, comments on my post #21 are still welcome

Thanks
RoosterDude

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterDude
Just one more thing that's been bothering me. I've been hearing a lot of people praise the HD595, 600 and the 650s and how they're a class above the HD555s for example.

You should also consider the 580s. They're similar to the 600s, but less expensive. I have them and the 555s are gathering dust...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterDude
Also, would I even be able to tell the difference amp-less from my theater system or with some USB soundcard from my laptop?

You most certainly would... but I can't tell you if the difference would be worth the price tag to you. For all I know, you might even prefer the sound of the 5x5 models. What I can tell you is that I'd take the 580s over the 555s even if I had to listen straight out of my laptop.
In any case, it'd obviously be worth the money only if you had at least a half-decent soundcard and headphone out on your theater system. I've heard bad soundcards (some USB cards might actually be a downgrade from your laptop's on-board card) and terrible headphone outs on otherwise good systems so I wouldn't recommend even a 555 on ANY card/system.

Jan 24, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 25
I found my Grados hurt my ears with the supplied bowl pads....but with the Radioshack pads or Sennheiser 414 pads they are fine for hours after a bit of wearing so they soften up. I love the 414 pads on them. I also have the quarter-mod,not reversed.
I also like those Koss UR40's , and the Sennheiser HD-497 for inexpensive comfy cans Under $50. The Fostex T-20RP and also T-50RP are under $100US and are great sounding semi-closed cans. They also have wire on one side on a mini-jack so its removable and you can replace it. Alot of people pass these phones up,but give them a listen. Found in pro music shops. Ive had my T-20RP's for over 20 years and they still work great! :SR80 Smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back