Sorry guys and girls....
Dec 28, 2005 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

RoosterDude

Head-Fier
...but yes, this is yet another please tell me what to buy thread.

Firstly, please don't get all smart and tell me I should have used the search function. Because believe me, I have however I require a rather more personalised recommendation, hence this thread.

Here's a bit of information to help you to help me:

Budget: $125

Uses: Mainly Indie/Rock (all types except hard/metal), also a lot of every other genre of music and maybe a few movies/games.

Source: Laptop (may purchase a USB soundcard sometime soon) and my pioneer home cinema system.

Amp: I don't want to buy an amp as I do not wish to spend so much money. So they need to sound good unamped.

Open/Closed: I don't think I'm that bothered

Preferences: MUST be comfortable. I will be listening to them for up to 5/6 hours at a time so they must be comfy and they also mustn't be fatiging

There ya go head-fiers. Could you give me your opinion on what I should buy, based on the above, and why. Please give it your best shot, for me.

Thank you in advance
RoosterDude

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 25
Hmm yeah the search tool might not be much help, those are some pretty tight requirements.
Grado/Alessandro = out (lack of comfort. Although the MS1 flat pads are WAY more comfey than bowls, but you might find the highs too harsh.
HD580 used = out (amplification needs)
K240s = out (amplification needs)
DT770 = out ($$$ and amplification needs)

Koss UR40, portapro or KSC75 and amp with a govibe. UR40 is one of the most comfey cans I have ever owned.
Maybe the D66 or A700?... Ive never heard either so can't comment on their sonic qualities.

Garrett

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 25
If it has not to be portable, maybe a Audio Technica AT-500.
Very comfortable and I read it was a cool signature, less fatiguing than grados.
Or maybe a Beyerdynamic DJX-1.

Both don't need an amp.

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 25
[size=large]Sony MDR-SA1000 [/size]would be my recommendation.

Comfortable...VERY

Price...can be found for around $100.00

Amp...not required. These are sensitive and I use mine straight out of the laptop / portables without any complaints whatsoever. Love these headphones!

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 25
I don't know much about the SA1000, so those may be strictly better than what I am about to recommend, but the MDR-V6 or 7506 might be what you are looking for. They have a closed design, are fairly portable, very durable and definitely withing your price range. I was using them for a while without an amp, so you should be OK there as well.

I would suggest finding somewhere to try these out, although you have probably thought of that. Good luck.

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 25
kramer: I'd hardly say Grados are 'out'. There are many people here who find them uncomfortable. Then there's many people, like me, who can wear them for 8+ hours with no discomfort at all. If everyone in the world found Grados intolerably uncomfortable, no-one would _buy_ them. If comfort's a major concern, though, it would make sense to buy them somewhere with a good returns policy, like Headroom. They match all the other requirements pretty well.

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I don't know much about the SA1000, so those may be strictly better than what I am about to recommend, but the MDR-V6 or 7506 might be what you are looking for

SA1000s are better then the Sony's you listed.

Additional benefits:

* 1 side cable entry - no more tangled cables, twisting etc.
* Bass - wow!

See this review for some scattered info:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110850

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 25
as far as the MS1's, if you wear them that long you'll no doubt get used to them.. i would second (or third) the suggestion towards the SA1000 and or the eggo's, but i've also heard very good things about the USB Turtlebeach Audio advantage?? + HD201 combination... ~ 40 bucks and i hear really good things about it.

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePantyThief
as far as the MS1's, if you wear them that long you'll no doubt get used to them.. i would second (or third) the suggestion towards the SA1000 and or the eggo's, but i've also heard very good things about the USB Turtlebeach Audio advantage?? + HD201 combination... ~ 40 bucks and i hear really good things about it.

I ain't too sure about the MS1's. The sheer amount of negativity surrounding the comfort of grado's takes them off the list. I wish I was able to try them out but here in the UK, thats nigh-on impossible.
I think I may buy the HD201 just as a 'back-up' if you like, seen as it is real cheap but still apparently quite good and is also closed so will provide me with a little isolation when I so require.
I'm currently reading up on the Turtlebeach and other USB solutions. But thats for another forum!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Sony MDR-SA1000 would be my recommendation.

Comfortable...VERY

Price...can be found for around $100.00

Amp...not required. These are sensitive and I use mine straight out of the laptop / portables without any complaints whatsoever. Love these headphones!

These look good to me. Thanx for the review link too - very impressive! I have only one quibble with these and that's the manufacturer. Sony do make a lot of overpriced/underperforming goods, this isn't the case with these is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
If it has not to be portable, maybe a Audio Technica AT-500.
Very comfortable and I read it was a cool signature, less fatiguing than grados.
Or maybe a Beyerdynamic DJX-1.

Both don't need an amp.

To be fair mate, I haven't really heard of these beyers but all of these DJ range of cans don't really excite me. But, I hear a lot about the A500s. These do look good and match a lot of my requirements. I was just wondering about the size, I do not want to be able to see them in my peripheral vision when watching movies, for example. And also, how's the soundstage, considering these are a closed pair.

One last thing, I notice no-one has recommended the HD555s. Are they not up to scratch or what? Because it seems that from what I've read that these would match up rather well with my requirements being a jack of all trades can. Anyone care to comment?

Ok, thats enough waffling for now. Thanks for your continued support
biggrin.gif

RoosterDude

Dec 29, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 25
RD: Hmmm, you're in the UK, so the price level will be somewhat high in general... Hmmm... How about the Creative HQ-1300 for a decent start? I think that's a surprisingly nice sounding phone for the price, plus it's also very comfy, if your ears aren't too big for the somewhat smallish earcups, and fairly efficient. If you want to spend a little more, I'd recommend to check the Beyerdynamic DT440 - and the new Philips HP895 could be worth a closer look as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoosterDude

SA1000 - I find the sony's more comfortable (although, when you get to the same comfort level as the Sennheisers, it does not really matter any more), and I prefer the sound. They are not *better* than the 590s, for the sound is a bit brighter, which some people do not like much at all.

A500 -
I bought this set for a friend's birthday, and it was to be his first good pair of cans. Before giving them away, I compared them to my more expensive Sennheiser HD590's, and was very much surprised - this set sounds almost as good, for slightly more than half of the price. It has a very balanced sound, with solid, resolved bass that has only a hint of boominess, clear, fluid mids, and a well-balanced treble - not too bright but not too recessed either. They're lacking that final layer of detail compared to the 590's, but I guess that's where the extra money in the 590 went. Overall, I'd say t..

HD555 - still a good choice may require an amp alittle more.
RoosterDude

I think all three options are good.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 25
Get a pair of Sennheiser HD555 or Grado SR60 and be a happy man. Quit complaining. I don't think any Grado customer has ever regretted their purchase because of the comfort. The sound is just so good! The HD555 may not be the best for your genre(s), but they are very comfortable and don't really require amping.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Get a pair of Sennheiser HD555 or Grado SR60 and be a happy man. Quit complaining. I don't think any Grado customer has ever regretted their purchase because of the comfort. The sound is just so good! The HD555 may not be the best for your genre(s), but they are very comfortable and don't really require amping.

Yea they have. If comfort is an issue dont go with Grados.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 25
maybe hd485.
comfy, ampless and budget...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back