Sooo... what's so hot about the Kenwood HD30GB9?
Dec 15, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 41
i remember reading somewhere on a website that these will be priced
$399 when it hits the usa market early next year.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 41
Really? If it is, I'm totally getting it then (or the new Creative HDD player), cuz the cost is the only thing preventing me from getting the Kenwood player.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it gapless only with lossless files?

No depends on the player. Sony's can do it with ATRAC and I think the Karma's can do it with Mp3's.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No depends on the player. Sony's can do it with ATRAC and I think the Karma's can do it with Mp3's.

I know that, duh. I was specifically asking about the Kenwood since this is what the thread is about. I have owned a Karma and currently own a Sony. Was looking for something new possibly and if the Kenwood is only gapless with Kenwood's Lossless, it's not worth it.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #23 of 41
Just wanted to know how you guys manage the music for different brand players. For example, I have everything on Apple Loseless/iTunes for my iPod, how do I get the library to work for something lie the Kenwood which I think only works on Windows??

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #24 of 41
I use SonicStage for my NW-HD1, WMP for my iRiver, and the Kenwood Media Application for my HD30GB9.

If you don't have windows, you can't use the Kenwood. In addition to that, you'll have to convert/rerip everything to either MP3, WMA or WAV :/

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluinser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to know how you guys manage the music for different brand players. For example, I have everything on Apple Loseless/iTunes for my iPod, how do I get the library to work for something lie the Kenwood which I think only works on Windows??

AFAIK the only thing that works with Apple Lossless is iTunes. Could be wrong.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use SonicStage for my NW-HD1, WMP for my iRiver, and the Kenwood Media Application for my HD30GB9.

If you don't have windows, you can't use the Kenwood. In addition to that, you'll have to convert/rerip everything to either MP3, WMA or WAV :/

I guess if the soundstage is really that good, then its probably worth the extra work. From your experience, would you say the inbuilt amp is so good that a portable amp is not necessary at all? WAV would be the most detailed encoding right or kenwood loseless (??)? Thanks.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 41
It was hard for me to tell the difference between Kenwood Lossless and Wav, but it's the closest thing after lossless, with a less chunk of memory.

I wouldn't suggest a portable amp unless you have high impedance headphones, since the HD30GB9 does not have a line-out capability. Nevertheless it sounds quite amazing.

Another thing worth mentioning is that it has considerable white noise, so if you're going to use a really sensitive IEM/headphone, it's a good idea to run it thru an attenuator and crank up the volume. With my E500s I have the HD30GB9 volume level at 16/30 and the attenuator at 60% resistance.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

It was hard for me to tell the difference between Kenwood Lossless and Wav, but it's the closest thing after lossless, with a less chunk of memory.

Lossless means that it and WAV are the same, just less space. If there's a difference, it's not lossless.

I have two Sony DAPs (HD3 & HD5) and was considering the HD30GB9. A couple of questions:
1. Is it gapless with anything other than Kenwood Lossless or WAV?
2. Does the new firmware upgrade allow you to have WMA up to 355 as you can on the HD10GB7?

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

I wouldn't suggest a portable amp unless you have high impedance headphones, since the HD30GB9 does not have a line-out capability. Nevertheless it sounds quite amazing.

Another thing worth mentioning is that it has considerable white noise, so if you're going to use a really sensitive IEM/headphone, it's a good idea to run it thru an attenuator and crank up the volume. With my E500s I have the HD30GB9 volume level at 16/30 and the attenuator at 60% resistance.

I thought there should not be even a tiny bit of sound quality difference between Kenwood lossless, wav, flac, apple lossless or any other lossless. After all they are all lossless.

And about the white noise, it was a complaint for GA9 and GB9 is released to mainly address this issue as far as I know. So are you sure you are referring to GB9 about the considerable white noise?

Thank you

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 41
I'm less enlightened on the concept of "lossless with less space"
tongue.gif

Yes it is gapless on all formats (shouldn't they be?), and I don't think the 355kbps WMA firmware update applies to the HD30GB9.

It has white noise, I am referring to the HD30GB9, so I suggest a volume attenuator if you don't care about the battery life and have sensitive IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back