Sooo... what's so hot about the Kenwood HD30GB9?
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 41
I don't want to brag because I am offering it for sale.

But for sake of comparison, Steaxauce owns both the imod and the Kenwood HD30GB9 and he prefers the HD30GB9 over the imod. I haven't heard the imod, but among all the mp3 players I have tried, the kenwood's HD30GB9 comes on top.

According to Steaxauce, he prefers the kenwood over the imod mainly for its simplicity; not necessary it will sound better to you. Different strokes for different folks.

He offered to ship his imod to me so I can do a comparison as well but we are both very busy these days.

What is hot about the HD30GB9 is that it sounds good.

To be objective, it has a very good built-in digital pre/amp, so you won't really need to buy a portable amp, unless you need to drive hungry headphones like HD650. Its build quality is excellent and the interface and screen are the best I have seen. You can drag and drop (Folder browsing) or use the ID3 tag database (Artist, Genre, Album, etc.) Its equalizer doesn't amplify the frequency like other equalizers I have tried in other mp3 players, however, it alters the frequency, which offers cleaner signal. It has a very good headphone-out. And last, it is gapless.

It goes for $504 shipped from pricejapan or $511 from audiocubes to the states.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 41
I think the internal digital amp is the best redeeming feature for that player, but its so damn bloody expensive. I think they wanted $500 for the 30 gb.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL
I think the internal digital amp is the best redeeming feature for that player, but its so damn bloody expensive. I think they wanted $500 for the 30 gb.

But if you put into account what an external portable amp and decent IC/LOD would cost, you still don't think the price tag is merited?

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you put into account what an external portable amp and decent IC/LOD would cost, you still don't think the price tag is merited?

One could argue that a replete 30GB iPod/line-out/amp would cost less than $500, but on the other hand the Kenwood is just so darn small in comparison to the whole shebang.

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Steaxauce, he prefers the kenwood over the imod mainly for its simplicity; not necessary it will sound better to you. Different strokes for different folks.

To be objective, it has a very good built-in digital pre/amp, so you won't really need to buy a portable amp, unless you need to drive hungry headphones like HD650. And last, it is gapless.

For the very same reason I kept my Rio Karma over iPod 5.5G & Portable Amp. Ultraportability is a big thing for me now. And this Kenwood piqued my interest, just that the pricetag is not within my reach yet.

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 41
I asked because I'm considering getting one for review.

500 dollars?!
I saw it on sale in a shop here for €190... I'm gonna grab it as soon as I can! Even if I don't like it I could probably resell it on eBay for a nice profit
tongue.gif

Edit: wait, something's fishy... it can't have that price...
Are there aesthetically identical models from Kenwood of previous generations? That would explain it...

Edit2: Ok, I got some info and it's gotta be the ga9 or (more likely) ga7.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 41
I was wondering if this so rumored fantastic quality that's in the Kenwood GA7, GA9 and GB9 can be appreciated over other DAPs' (like Karma, Vision:M, X5 or others) not only using a pair of shure e4, but also with cheaper solutions, like the Sennheiser CX300 I personally use.
Another question that interests me is if the white noise affecting last generations of Kenwood is now really gone with the HD30GB9. For my Sennheisers it could be an issue, 'cause their impedence is 112 ohm and they could be too sensitive to the baseline hiss.
Thank you, and forget my clunky english, I'm Italian and still improving
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 41
All kenwoods HDD players look similar, except in color and different words. However, with the HD30GB9 (their flagship version) does have a better digital amp and Supreme EX instead of supreme only and can accept drag and drop and higher output (8mW instead of 6mW) of previous models.

Regarding white noise, I didn't experience any white noise with my headphones. I don't know what is the case with very sensitive IEMs but I read that the white noise very much solved with the latest version.

For €190, I am 100% sure it is one of the old versions. For main reason, HD30GB9 is all sold out from all Japanese stores and you have to wait a month in order to get it. The same case with audiocubes or pricejapan.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding white noise, I didn't experience any white noise with my headphones. I don't know what is the case with very sensitive IEMs but I read that the white noise very much solved with the latest version.

Is what you read someone else's experience, of just press release? Because Kenwood said the same for the hd30GA9. I'm ok with the fact you didn't notice noise, I just hope more sensitive iems will be fine with the player.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 41
It was someone else's experience with IEM off a Japanese forum. And in a press release as well. I wish I had my E500 to test it out and let you know.

I recommend to ask Stexauce because he has IEM and he can help you better.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 41
OGTL says:
Quote:

ut its so damn bloody expensive ... $500 for the 30 gb.

Considering its from a specialty store, I don't think the price is that bad.

My only concern would be on warranty work.

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked, it's the HD30GA7W...
Out of curiosity, how is it?

This is their first model but 30 gig instead of 20 gig.

It goes as following, in order:

1- HD20GA7 and HD30GA7 (B for blue and W for white)

2- HD30GA9 (Only Blue color)

3- HD30GB9 (Only in black) and their latest model.

Main difference between them are that numbers 1 and 2 have the same digital amp, no.3 has a newer digital amp. And something has to do with Supreme Vs. Supreme EX but the main focus would be on the newer pre/amp they implemented in their latest model.

Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back