Sooo... what's so hot about the Kenwood HD30GB9?
Feb 20, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #32 of 41
Reaching out to all Kenwood owners out there. I need soem advice on how you guys keep your music given the not so smart and not so user-friendly Kenwood software. I have never come across anything like this and have only used iTunes and SonicStage. It is probably going to be a painful process ripping my collection with the proper labels etc given that it doesn't seem to have any linkage with music databases. Any help/advice, and in as much details for a low-tech layman will be much appreciated. For the purpose of this thread, I am not sure whether such info will appeal other head-fiers, so you may PM me. MANY THANKS in advance.....
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #33 of 41
In fact I am having a hard time trying to understand why Kenwood comes up with its own format instead of supporting FLAC. To do it I can think of a few possible reasons and none is reasonable at all :
- more compression : yes, but a tiny fraction compared to FLAC. Not good enough.

- more battery friendly decoding : this seems not tru, I am sure playing FLAC would not drain considerably more power.

what else?

Furthermore, you can not play kls files in computer. You can not play even the supported files (mp3, vaw, wma included) in the DAP if you just dragdropped them from the computer bypassing Kenwood media application.

I am not even sure if KLS supports tags , album art whatever. It should but no info anywhere.

What is the benefit of Kenwood Lossless over FLAC?
I wanna know what good does Kenwood Lossless serve?

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted
Yes it is gapless on all formats (shouldn't they be?), and I don't think the 355kbps WMA firmware update applies to the HD30GB9.

are you sure it's gapless on mp3, since there are gaps with my lame 3.97 api files which aren't there with kenwood lossless?
if yes, what codec and firmware are you using?

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure it's gapless on mp3, since there are gaps with my lame 3.97 api files which aren't there with kenwood lossless?

Dorder....I notice in your sig it says "portable: hd30gb9/njb3-> e500/er4p/cx300"

does the njb3 stand for Nomad Jukebox 3? If so, how would you compare the SQ between the Jukebox 3 and the Kenwood hd30b9?

After reading how the hd30gb9 doesn't have a line out, and doesn't allow you to play mp3s, wmas, etc, I would find it very hard to justify replacing my Jukebox 3 with the hd30gb9.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by calyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact I am having a hard time trying to understand why Kenwood comes up with its own format instead of supporting FLAC. To do it I can think of a few possible reasons and none is reasonable at all :
- more compression : yes, but a tiny fraction compared to FLAC. Not good enough.

- more battery friendly decoding : this seems not tru, I am sure playing FLAC would not drain considerably more power.

what else?

Furthermore, you can not play kls files in computer. You can not play even the supported files (mp3, vaw, wma included) in the DAP if you just dragdropped them from the computer bypassing Kenwood media application.

I am not even sure if KLS supports tags , album art whatever. It should but no info anywhere.

Bad case of Sonyitis
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dorder....I notice in your sig it says "portable: hd30gb9/njb3-> e500/er4p/cx300"

does the njb3 stand for Nomad Jukebox 3? If so, how would you compare the SQ between the Jukebox 3 and the Kenwood hd30b9?

After reading how the hd30gb9 doesn't have a line out, and doesn't allow you to play mp3s, wmas, etc, I would find it very hard to justify replacing my Jukebox 3 with the hd30gb9.

yes, it's the nomad. after the short comparison i did, i think the kenwood is clearly superior. instruments and vocals sound better defined and clearer. i only used the e500 to compare them, which had a bit less hiss on the kenwood than on the nomad.
btw. mp3 playback is fine, it's just not gapless, just like it isn't on the njb3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad case of Sonyitis
icon10.gif

that's the only reason i could think of, too.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by calyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

KLS is supposed to be for wav users, so naturally they don't support tags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're hearing gaps? Are they like *ftst* static or like an actual space in time?

And the MediaKeg firmware for the HD30GB9 doesn't support FLAC... unless I missing something.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can tag them within Kenwood Media Application, just like you can tag wav files with it. i don't know wether the kls file holds its own tag or wether it's only tagged in the database of the media keg like it must be with the wavs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're hearing gaps? Are they like *ftst* static or like an actual space in time?

it's usually the static "ftst".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back