Sooo This Happened Today..
Sep 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Connnorrr

100+ Head-Fier

I was sitting in my living room working on an essay on my laptop and I went back to my room to get my charger when I noticed the smell of smoke. I had issues last night with my E9, and one of my USB ports seems to be fried due to a surge. Also,my E9's chassis feels like this when I turn it on:

So I was worried that the E9 may have caught on fire itself, or maybe something near it. I still don't know why I didn't unplug it earlier, but that wasn't the culprit. I continued to look around my room, panicking that something was legitimately on fire. I don't have a fire extinguisher and my mother needed to borrow my car for the weekend, so I had no way to get out or to take my cats out of the house had there been a fire. I got down on the floor, checking power strips for signs of smoke and didn't find anything under my desk. I then checked under my bed, as I have a power strip that is under it that I use for my phone and handheld recharging. I then remembered my E7 was plugged in because I had plugged it in due to it not turning on. I checked it and it was smoldering with a small bit of smoke rising from it. Holy crap.

BTW: I don't think you're supposed to plug the E7 in anything other than the dock or your computer for charging, just for reference.
eek.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
So what was the cause? The E7 didn't cause a surge, did it? Also, you still have time to make this a thread about your cats. 
wink.gif

EDIT: also, E7 or E9? Are there two?

I believe the E9 caused the surge and the E7 melted because i plugged into a USB charger that is hooked in my wall.

About my cats? What about them?

E7 is Fiio's DAC. the E9 is the amp that you can dock the E7 in.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
I see. Rather unfortunate! Are you going to open it up and see if it's repairable? This might be a good time to start some DIY...

Hadn't thought about it. Kinda just wanted to keep it as a "Holy ****, that was really close to being terrible"  reminder. Repairable? I doubt it 
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Maybe you can contact Fiio for a replacement?
biggrin.gif
But dang, I've never seen anything catch on fire/start to smoke when plugged into a USB charger.

Might be possible when my USB port got fried that the E7 got fried as well and when I plugged it in it was already malfunctioned causing it to begin to melt. I don't know, I'm far from an expert on electronics failing.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
So your E9 and E7 were both plugged in the same USB charger? The USB can only supply 5vdc and 500mA.

The E9 has its own power cord, non USB. The E7 was plugged into a USB charger.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 15
I think you should contact Fiio and sent it back. Warranty or not, Fiio needs to see it and determine what went wrong.

Please let us know how they respond.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I think you should contact Fiio and sent it back. Warranty or not, Fiio needs to see it and determine what went wrong.
Please let us know how they respond.

Yeah, I will be contacting Fiio soon and I'll be sure to update everyone.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
BTW: I don't think you're supposed to plug the E7 in anything other than the dock or your computer for charging, just for reference.
eek.gif

I plug my E7 in all the time to a USB wall charger. I also leave it overnight and I haven't noticed any signs of warmth doing this. Just be thankful this didn't happen while in your pocket.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 15
OMG that's crazy... was it the lithium ion battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back