SONY's new 2012 Walkman Range!!
Jul 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #46 of 188
Quote:
They are FINALLY going to release gapless playback!  Granted its only in Linear PCM format currently, but hopefully that will change soon.

Finally? Gapless has always been available in that format on most (if not all) Sony daps.

It's not that popular because of the space it uses up, but it's still useful to have for live albums.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #47 of 188
Quote:
Actually having experienced a A860 series player, I doubt the volume will be an issue.
Sony's lost the plot with the both the product design & pricing; why on earth would purchase this when you can purchase an android powered Sony mobile phone for far less.
It's a product without a real market, pointless!

Yes, the volume isn't an issue despite being 5 step more quiet, but the sound quality isn't the same.  I had the A867UK and it was not as good sounding compared A865US in a direct shootout.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #48 of 188
It's a product without a real market, whilst it'll play FLAC it's pointless, because it's been crippled with only 16gb.

What were the Sony Design & marketing team thinking about when they came up with this, now if it had been given 32gb of storage for the same price I think differently of it!

As it stands it's under-gunned & overpriced for the UK market.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #49 of 188
Quote:
It's a product without a real market, whilst it'll play FLAC it's pointless, because it's been crippled with only 16gb.
What were the Sony Design & marketing team thinking about when they came up with this, now if it had been given 32gb of storage for the same price I think differently of it!
As it stands it's under-gunned & overpriced for the UK market.

Yes, it is very overpriced.  I own the Z-walkman with 32 GB on board, and the memory is way too small for my music collection.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #51 of 188
Quote:
I have never owned a walkman that played gapless.  Have I been missing something? 

Not really.  But any Walkman released in Japan can play gapless with Atrac or Atrac Lossless.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #52 of 188
Quote:
I have never owned a walkman that played gapless.  Have I been missing something? 

They've only done it if loaded with .wav files (aka linear PCM).  And I don't think even many Head-Fi members would want to load a player with .wav files, especially one with limited storage.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #53 of 188
Quote:

If you still have a Walkman (one that doesn't use SonicStage or the ATRAC format), rip a CD in WAV and transfer it, but make sure it's not set to convert during transfer. You'll find it plays gapless, always has. Actually, I found that not many people know that. Like I said, it's not that popular because of the size of the files.

EDIT: ATRAC plays gapless automatically, but I assume you don't have a Sony that plays that format. My A808 (bought in the UK) was the last model I owned that used SonicStage, so I didn't need to use WAV files on it.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #55 of 188
Jul 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #56 of 188
Jul 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #58 of 188
Quote:

Purk... so far it's for European release (it's not out yet but on Sony.co.uk website)... I'd love a 64gb non-euro version

Thanks.  Hope that they will available soon w/o the sound/volume issues.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #60 of 188
The US version will also have a FLAC support and should be available later Aug or early Sept according to the Walkman forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back