Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #421 of 601
  Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer when you want to listen at lower volumes. 
Do you think theres any way to fix this through a firmware upgrade or some sort?

Really surprised to hear people are experiencing this, as I don't have this issue at all with mine- using JH13 FP's (so somewhat sensitive). This was the number one thing I tested prior to buying the PHA-2 b/c something like that would drive me crazy.

This was a BIG problem with PHA-1 but I have not heard this with PHA-2.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #422 of 601
  Really surprised to hear people are experiencing this, as I don't have this issue at all with mine- using JH13 FP's (so somewhat sensitive). This was the number one thing I tested prior to buying the PHA-2 b/c something like that would drive me crazy.

This was a BIG problem with PHA-1 but I have not heard this with PHA-2.

There are two ways to test this. 

Either you, 1) start from lowest volume then slowly turn it up. 2) start from any position past 9 o'clock and slowly turn it down.

I am using the TG334, its quite sensitive as well. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #423 of 601

There are two ways to test this. 

Either you, 1) start from lowest volume then slowly turn it up. 2) start from any position past 9 o'clock and slowly turn it down.

I am using the TG334, its quite sensitive as well. 

Tried this out on a few sources this morning... maybe I just don't get it. With sound all the way up on the source I am starting at rock bottom with the PHA-2. The soundstage for the music I am listening to has piano on the left, but I can definitely here the snare drum on the left. 

As I slowly pull up the power from rock bottom there is no "stairstep" for volume from one ear to the other. It's consistent to my ears. This was also done after center stage instruments entered the song- allowing me to focus on any "wobble" in the soundstage to either side.

Update:
OK. I think that I get it now (this has been bothering me a bit today)... so if I start from rock bottom there is a slight "crunch" prior to 9 o'clock! I am never so low on the dial, so haven't noticed this before, and don't think that it affects the balance of the music at listening levels but I think you're right delancyst. I get what you mean.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #425 of 601
I'm with you on this. Doubted yesterday, but I get the slightest "click" at 9 o'clock as well in the right ear.

Still a good amp though, just a tad shame that it won't sound proper under 9o'clock when you just want some background music while working, without having the volume get too distracting. :)

I wonder if a firmware/driver could fix this.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #426 of 601
Anybody knows hoy much time takes the PHA-2 from EMS to arrive in the UK? I ordered mine on last friday, on monday was send and on wednesday arrived at customs, and it remains in there up until now... anybody has any idea how much time it should remain in customs?

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #427 of 601
I was wondering where you purchased from, as I am trying to source one in the UK as well, to pair up to my Xperia Ultra.

Never purchased from pricejapan before, so nervous about going ahead.

I hope yours arrives soon :)

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #428 of 601
  I was wondering where you purchased from, as I am trying to source one in the UK as well, to pair up to my Xperia Ultra.

Never purchased from pricejapan before, so nervous about going ahead.

I hope yours arrives soon :)

Lol... I bought it to pair it also with my Xperia Ultra, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow finally at my place, it took quite a while I must say, specially in customs. I can confirm however that from their side everything is safe... problem is when the product reaches the customs, they reaaaaallly took quite a while to clear it off if you use EMS, using Fedex however should be faster.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #429 of 601
finally finished this discussion from the top to here!

Got my Pha-2 around 2 weeks.  So far quite satisfying with the SQ.  A bit bright for me but that is OK.

I am currently using some of my old iphones as player.  Just got my 5s so decide to turn my 3Gs and iphone 4 as reusable player.  And very exciting with the info here that I can use CCK and the Onkyo app to turn iphone as Hi-res player~~~

The wording in Onkyo app make me confusing.  In order to output the Hi-res music from the app first need to select the "Upsampling" ?  But the apps is not doing upsampling but just output the original quality of the music, am I right?

Is anyone get upset with that 3 USB port in Pha-2 at all?  I kinda understand there may be some reasons behind but it just quite stupid.  All 3 ports are USB, from normal, mini to micro.......  Why is it necessary at all? Are these 3 usb ports controlled with different chips?

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #430 of 601
Lol .. didn't realise I was that funny :) so you did buy from pricejapan?

Would be good to get an update with your setup once you receive it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #431 of 601

First impressions:

PriceJapan does work... but I still got stung by both customs and parcel force, total extra paid was 28,76 pounds (EMS option also took quite a while in customs, but again, it indeed works)

The Xperia Ultra for some reason doesn't recognizes the PHA-2, nothing happens if I use the digital cable. My F886 and my PC recognize it no problems. I'm therefore rendered to use the line input of the PHA-2 with the headphone jack of the Xperia Ultra, works well and SQ is slightly improved.

SQ is the same as my F886!!! (remember, subjective to my ears) but louder, I suppose this is quite a plus for people that has power hungry IEMS.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #432 of 601
Originally Posted by Vect /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First impressions:

PriceJapan does work... but I still got stung by both customs and parcel force, total extra paid was 28,76 pounds (EMS option also took quite a while in customs, but again, it indeed works)

The Xperia Ultra for some reason doesn't recognizes the PHA-2, nothing happens if I use the digital cable. My F886 and my PC recognize it no problems. I'm therefore rendered to use the line input of the PHA-2 with the headphone jack of the Xperia Ultra, works well and SQ is slightly improved.

SQ is the same as my F886!!! (remember, subjective to my ears) but louder, I suppose this is quite a plus for people that has power hungry IEMs.

Well said!

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #433 of 601
nice photo's Vect, enjoy
beerchug.gif

get a FiiO WM-Port/line-out cable... gives the F886/887 a slightly different sound, for the better imo.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #434 of 601
  nice photo's Vect, enjoy
beerchug.gif

get a FiiO WM-Port/line-out cable... gives the F886/887 a slightly different sound, for the better imo.

Yes nice photos Vect, thanks :)

Really disappointing about the Xperia Ultra though, thanks for that feedback.

Not sure now, ZX1/F886 or this with my Ultra, decisions decisions :)

It is a decent price difference with EMS and DHL though.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #435 of 601
Bummer to hear about the channel imbalance, was going to pick up one of these in the near future…but this is the biggest pet peeve of mine in the entire world, Sony just lost a customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back