Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Jan 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #391 of 601
Has anybody tried connecting the amp to the iphone 5s?

I have pair PHA 2 with iPhone 5 s

Source : iPhone 5 s
Dac / Amp : Sony PHA 2
Iem : Shure SE 215 spesial edition
Music File : WAV

If you like analog mid With Smooth High and The bass is not so tight and a bit Boomy In Shure SE 215
Than pha 2 is Your Choice

IMO

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #392 of 601
I have pair PHA 2 with iPhone 5 s

Source : iPhone 5 s
Dac / Amp : Sony PHA 2
Iem : Shure SE 215 spesial edition
Music File : WAV

If you like analog mid With Smooth High and The bass is not so tight and a bit Boomy In Shure SE 215
Than pha 2 is Your Choice

IMO

Nice!
I was just wondering cos the manual says up to iPhone 5.
Do you use a short Lightning cable for your setup?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #395 of 601
Nice. Did you find any ones with rightangle Lightning plugs during your search for this cable?
I'm hunting for something low profile just for PHA-2 and iPhone.

A VentureCraft 7M Class Lightening cable for 14,800 yen.  A cheaper option is FURUTECH ADL-iD8-L 0.10M, at 6,960 yen, shown below.  Both sold at e-earphone in Japan.  I use a 16 dollar short Logitec cable (not right angle), which works just fine.  

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #396 of 601
Forgot to attach the photo of the cable I use (below).  Much cheap than the other two options, and it is short enough that it doesn't really look so bad with my PHA-2.  With respect to sound quality, I am sure that different people have different views about how much of a difference this type of cable would make, and I have not done any A-B tests on these, so no useful comment from me...  

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #397 of 601
Hey Tokyolifer thats very help thanks.
Do you know if e-earphone ship international?
I have trouble navigating their website. :frowning2:

I prefer the Venturecraft where the cable bends to the side rather than straight out.
It keeps the whole stack as short as possible.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #398 of 601
Probably not.  Never came across an English speaker at that shop...  I found this on eBay, but seems ridiculously over-priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Craft-Lightning-adapter-Apple-genuine-microUSB-cable-/271277585916?pt=US_Tablet_AV_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f296775fc

If you have a micro usb right angle cable, you can just get the adapter, and that will be the cheapest way to get this accomplished on your end.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #399 of 601
I prefer the Venturecraft where the cable bends to the side rather than straight out.
It keeps the whole stack as short as possible.

Looks like they have these cables at Amazon.co.jp, where overseas shipping may be available...Why don't you try your luck there?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Lightning-オーディオケーブル-7Nクラス導体-Apple-MFi公式認証済/dp/B00HQ6LW4E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390377961&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=VentureCraft+7Nclass+Lightning-USB

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #401 of 601
Forgot to attach the photo of the cable I use (below).  Much cheap than the other two options, and it is short enough that it doesn't really look so bad with my PHA-2.  With respect to sound quality, I am sure that different people have different views about how much of a difference this type of cable would make, and I have not done any A-B tests on these, so no useful comment from me...  

From where did you purchase the short inexpensive cable pictured?

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #402 of 601
From where did you purchase the short inexpensive cable pictured?

I think I got mine from amazon.co.jp, but it is widely available here in Japan...

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #404 of 601
I had a fairly inexpensive setup for iTunes (mostly 'mastered for iTunes' AACs but a fair number of ALACs as well) 

mac mini 2011 > FiiO E17 > Qinpu A6000 MKII > 2.1 Polk Audio setup (RTiA1 plus Polk Audio Subwoofer)

I replaced the 24/96 FiiO with this 24/192 PHA-2 and it made a huge difference. 

The system was already pretty awesome, but now it's just fantastic, especially for a relatively inexpensive and low footprint system. 

I love the limited time I have I can turn the Qinpu up to halfway and just ride it out without any distortion other than rattling the wood frames in my windows.

Also using some early 1960's WE 396A's in there, they are smooth tubes :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #405 of 601
  does anyone uses this amp with the AT ESW9? 
how does it sound?

I had these headphones for a brief time.

I found it sounded great with them although it can provide a little too much power on the high gain setting and higher volumes.

I since sold them and moved to sennheiser momentums which I prefer for closed back phones. 

Nothing has a patch on the detail of my Grado RS1i's tho - but I often prefer the momentums for their bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back